LCD-2 / LCD-3 FR graphs
Apr 22, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #16 of 30

Quote:

You're sure about that? Could have been an issue with your LCD-3s (could have been on of the veiled pairs) or your upstream gear/source was sub-par and the LCD-3s were showing you it's faults. Might I ask what circumstances you heard them (and associated gear)?

The LCD-3's biggest advantage over the LCD_2s is the soundstaging (its now on slightly wider than even the HE-6s or T1s; something either version of the LCD-2s couldn't even get close to). FWIW, here are the rest of my thoughts between the two:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/comparisons-of-the-lcd-3-and-the-lcd-2-rev-2

MacedonianHero,

What are you impressions on the LCD 2/3's with solid state amps - like the GS-1 , GS-X and or a B22?  Thanks..

Apr 22, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #17 of 30

Quote:

MacedonianHero,

What are you impressions on the LCD 2/3's with solid state amps - like the GS-1 , GS-X and or a B22?  Thanks..

I think they're a great match with the amps you mentioned.
smile.gif

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #18 of 30
Today I swapped the stock cable of the LCD-2s with silver, made of 8 multicore wires, teflon isolation + REAN mini-XLRs. The sound calmed down, the hump in the mids disappeared, now there is a little more bass. A significant transformation. The sound signature of LCD-2 is still here but the FR changed. I wonder if all these graphs we see here and there are applicable to our cans. As shown above, they may be completely different due to different hardware used for measurements - cables, microphones, etc.

May 2, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #19 of 30
Interestingly my SilverDragon had the opposite effect.  Its dropped the bass and increased edge.  The stock cable is smoother and has more bass energy on my Rev2.  On the Rev1 I really liked the SD though.  I have a Q being made with adapters for 1/4" and 4 pin XLR, hopefully improves on the copper qualities I like of the stock and comfort level too.

May 2, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

MacedonianHero,

The Violectric V200 is a nice match as well.

May 2, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:
The Violectric V200 is a nice match as well.

I have V200 and LCD-2 r.2. and I use many sources (DACs, and CDPs). It's a matter of personal preferences to like this combo or not. I miss the bass. Opposite to most postings in this forum, this combo HAS NOT lots of bass. V200 is very nice amp - neat, linear yet warm - but I think LCD-2r2 needs something different to make it a good all-rounder and to sound fullbodied with modern genres. I solved the bass issue by a new cable.
Anyway, before buying everyone must try both.

May 2, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:
I have V200 and LCD-2 r.2. and I use many sources (DACs, and CDPs). It's a matter of personal preferences to like this combo or not. I miss the bass. Opposite to most postings in this forum, this combo HAS NOT lots of bass. V200 is very nice amp - neat, linear yet warm - but I think LCD-2r2 needs something different to make it a good all-rounder and to sound fullbodied with modern genres. I solved the bass issue by a new cable.

It's been quite a few months since I had the V200 but I seem to remember  the bass being very  solid. The only reason I sold it was at the time I had it and a Lyr and the tube presence of the Lyr won out. I was really tempted to pair the V200 with an Eastern Electric Mini Max DAC to get the tube influence but it didn't happen. Very good reviews of that combo and I believe some with the LCD-2.
It's all so subjective though.

May 2, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

I experienced exactly the same  with both. IMO, the lcd2 needs a much more powerful amp.

May 2, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #24 of 30
It's not the power. LCD-2 has flat FR below 1khz which as far as I know is inappropriate for accurate perception of the low frequencies and we hear reduced bass. There must be a hump in this region (I see it in the FR graphs of some earlier LCD-2s produced).

May 2, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #26 of 30

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's not the power. LCD-2 has flat FR below 1khz which as far as I know is inappropriate for accurate perception of the low frequencies and we hear reduced bass. There must be a hump in this region (I see it in the FR graphs of some earlier LCD-2s produced).

I believe some of it is, others have reported the same, while the lcd2 can sound good from lesser amps it really needs a powerful one to shine.

Quote:
Even with changing the gain switches on the back?

Yes tried with all settings.

May 2, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #27 of 30
There ya go. When I bought the V200 I had been having compatibility issues with my newly purchased LCD-2 and a Woo WA2 so was thrilled with how the LCD-2 sounded at that time with the V200. You guys are all more current with your listening experiences.
Cheers

May 2, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:
Interestingly my SilverDragon had the opposite effect.  Its dropped the bass and increased edge.  The stock cable is smoother and has more bass energy on my Rev2.  On the Rev1 I really liked the SD though.  I have a Q being made with adapters for 1/4" and 4 pin XLR, hopefully improves on the copper qualities I like of the stock and comfort level too.

I recently picked up an ALO Chainmail cable (as I no longer need a balanced Silver Dragon with my WA22 being at your place
tongue.gif
). I'll be able to A-B both cables before I sell the Silver Dragon next week-ish. It's been a while since I've A-B'd this cable with other top flight cables (several months anyway).

May 2, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #29 of 30
I've really enjoyed the Q Cable with the LCD-2r1. Tremendous definition and clarity across the frequency spectrum and on a more practical note, no tangling as compared to the SD with the longer lengths that I need.

May 3, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #30 of 30
A friend of mine gave me a bunch of different power cables for a comparison. Some of them used on the amp (Violectric V200) give more bass presence to the LCD-2s but they still lack the punch I need for my music. I hope in some of the next revisions this issue will be fixed. Now I'm listening to V200 and LCD-2 with a Neotech power cord (I can't remember the model) and my new silver headphone cable, and this rig sounds more relaxing and solid than the stock headphone cable + a computer power cord, although the dynamics and impact are still subdued. Yes, cables can change the FR of LCD-2 a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back