LCD-2 / LCD-3 FR graphs
Apr 22, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #16 of 30

preproman

Headphoneus Supremus

Quote:

You're sure about that? Could have been an issue with your LCD-3s (could have been on of the veiled pairs) or your upstream gear/source was sub-par and the LCD-3s were showing you it's faults. Might I ask what circumstances you heard them (and associated gear)?

The LCD-3's biggest advantage over the LCD_2s is the soundstaging (its now on slightly wider than even the HE-6s or T1s; something either version of the LCD-2s couldn't even get close to). FWIW, here are the rest of my thoughts between the two:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/comparisons-of-the-lcd-3-and-the-lcd-2-rev-2

MacedonianHero,

What are you impressions on the LCD 2/3's with solid state amps - like the GS-1 , GS-X and or a B22?  Thanks..

Apr 22, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #17 of 30

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor

Quote:

MacedonianHero,

What are you impressions on the LCD 2/3's with solid state amps - like the GS-1 , GS-X and or a B22?  Thanks..

I think they're a great match with the amps you mentioned.
smile.gif

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #18 of 30

brat

500+ Head-Fier
Today I swapped the stock cable of the LCD-2s with silver, made of 8 multicore wires, teflon isolation + REAN mini-XLRs. The sound calmed down, the hump in the mids disappeared, now there is a little more bass. A significant transformation. The sound signature of LCD-2 is still here but the FR changed. I wonder if all these graphs we see here and there are applicable to our cans. As shown above, they may be completely different due to different hardware used for measurements - cables, microphones, etc.

May 2, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #19 of 30

Solude

Headphoneus Supremus
Interestingly my SilverDragon had the opposite effect.  Its dropped the bass and increased edge.  The stock cable is smoother and has more bass energy on my Rev2.  On the Rev1 I really liked the SD though.  I have a Q being made with adapters for 1/4" and 4 pin XLR, hopefully improves on the copper qualities I like of the stock and comfort level too.

May 2, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #20 of 30

landgreen

Head-Fier
Quote:

MacedonianHero,

The Violectric V200 is a nice match as well.

May 2, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #21 of 30

brat

500+ Head-Fier
Quote:
The Violectric V200 is a nice match as well.

I have V200 and LCD-2 r.2. and I use many sources (DACs, and CDPs). It's a matter of personal preferences to like this combo or not. I miss the bass. Opposite to most postings in this forum, this combo HAS NOT lots of bass. V200 is very nice amp - neat, linear yet warm - but I think LCD-2r2 needs something different to make it a good all-rounder and to sound fullbodied with modern genres. I solved the bass issue by a new cable.
Anyway, before buying everyone must try both.

May 2, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #22 of 30

landgreen

Head-Fier
Quote:
I have V200 and LCD-2 r.2. and I use many sources (DACs, and CDPs). It's a matter of personal preferences to like this combo or not. I miss the bass. Opposite to most postings in this forum, this combo HAS NOT lots of bass. V200 is very nice amp - neat, linear yet warm - but I think LCD-2r2 needs something different to make it a good all-rounder and to sound fullbodied with modern genres. I solved the bass issue by a new cable.

It's been quite a few months since I had the V200 but I seem to remember  the bass being very  solid. The only reason I sold it was at the time I had it and a Lyr and the tube presence of the Lyr won out. I was really tempted to pair the V200 with an Eastern Electric Mini Max DAC to get the tube influence but it didn't happen. Very good reviews of that combo and I believe some with the LCD-2.
It's all so subjective though.

May 2, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #23 of 30

BoogieWoogie

500+ Head-Fier
Quote:

I experienced exactly the same  with both. IMO, the lcd2 needs a much more powerful amp.

May 2, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #24 of 30

brat

500+ Head-Fier
It's not the power. LCD-2 has flat FR below 1khz which as far as I know is inappropriate for accurate perception of the low frequencies and we hear reduced bass. There must be a hump in this region (I see it in the FR graphs of some earlier LCD-2s produced).

May 2, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #26 of 30

BoogieWoogie

500+ Head-Fier

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's not the power. LCD-2 has flat FR below 1khz which as far as I know is inappropriate for accurate perception of the low frequencies and we hear reduced bass. There must be a hump in this region (I see it in the FR graphs of some earlier LCD-2s produced).

I believe some of it is, others have reported the same, while the lcd2 can sound good from lesser amps it really needs a powerful one to shine.

Quote:
Even with changing the gain switches on the back?

Yes tried with all settings.

May 2, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #27 of 30

landgreen

Head-Fier
There ya go. When I bought the V200 I had been having compatibility issues with my newly purchased LCD-2 and a Woo WA2 so was thrilled with how the LCD-2 sounded at that time with the V200. You guys are all more current with your listening experiences.
Cheers

May 2, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #28 of 30

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
Quote:
Interestingly my SilverDragon had the opposite effect.  Its dropped the bass and increased edge.  The stock cable is smoother and has more bass energy on my Rev2.  On the Rev1 I really liked the SD though.  I have a Q being made with adapters for 1/4" and 4 pin XLR, hopefully improves on the copper qualities I like of the stock and comfort level too.

I recently picked up an ALO Chainmail cable (as I no longer need a balanced Silver Dragon with my WA22 being at your place
tongue.gif
). I'll be able to A-B both cables before I sell the Silver Dragon next week-ish. It's been a while since I've A-B'd this cable with other top flight cables (several months anyway).

May 2, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #29 of 30

landgreen

Head-Fier
I've really enjoyed the Q Cable with the LCD-2r1. Tremendous definition and clarity across the frequency spectrum and on a more practical note, no tangling as compared to the SD with the longer lengths that I need.

May 3, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #30 of 30

brat

500+ Head-Fier
A friend of mine gave me a bunch of different power cables for a comparison. Some of them used on the amp (Violectric V200) give more bass presence to the LCD-2s but they still lack the punch I need for my music. I hope in some of the next revisions this issue will be fixed. Now I'm listening to V200 and LCD-2 with a Neotech power cord (I can't remember the model) and my new silver headphone cable, and this rig sounds more relaxing and solid than the stock headphone cable + a computer power cord, although the dynamics and impact are still subdued. Yes, cables can change the FR of LCD-2 a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread