LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
Mar 19, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #122 of 2,398

Quote:
I can see the point of the highly-regarded Piccolino's silver/gold construction; as it has been said silver is a superior conductor but what hasn't been said is that it also oxidizes/corrodes the most easily. So adding gold to the mix would preserve that superior conductivity for perpetuity as gold is the most resistant to oxidation.

An interesting point about oxidation...  silver oxide is still a good conductor whereas copper oxide is not.  One of my hobbies is rebuilding/restoring vintage tube audio equipment.  I see a lot of copper cables where the resistance has gone high due to oxidation.  Nothing like green contacts and green ooze creeping out of the ends of connectors.  Of course, nothing I have seen on my bench uses silver, except old Tektronix gear (oscilloscopes, which are a joy to work on & repair).

In my own experimentation, with my admittedly bad hearing, I find greater differences in SQ coming from connectors & connections than wire type.  I also think that the geometry of the wire can have a big impact, but I can't figure out the physics involved.  I also think there may be some sonic signatures that can be attributed to the composition and type of insulation on the cables.  With copper cables, the insulations that melt provide a seal around wire at a soldered joint, which protects the copper from oxidation.  Teflon insulation doesn't melt at soldering temperatures, and does NOT provide a seal.

I'm still fussing around with high-purity single-crystal copper cables and high-purity silver as well.  So far these have mostly been for interconnects or speaker wires.  Haven't yet had time to experiment with headphone cables, but I'm planning to.  Most of what I read published by the makers of high-end cables is just pure bullsh*t.  My next project will be some silver balanced headphone cables for my LCD-2's so I can try them with a fully balanced Atma-Sphere MP3 preamp that I'm borrowing.

I'll post back if I learn anything.  If I were purchasing a set, I'd look hard at the TWag V2's.

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #123 of 2,398
The Piccolino and Silver/Blue/Black dragon headphone cables are all shielded; well, the Piccolino uses a tubular shield surrounding the center conductor as a return, it's technically a coaxial cable. I'm not sure how shielding would pose a problem in any way, it's more one of those just in case things.  It is probably a bad idea to have it directly against the wires (the metal braid) which is why most designs have some cotton and other stuff in between.  

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #124 of 2,398

Quote:
Yes, Ken's new round chain mail cable is killer!  I'm not sure if he knows how to make a bad sounding cable.  I've never heard better sonics overall.

Is this the cable you, or someone else, referred to earlier as "round woven 8 wire LCD2 cables" from ALO.  I'm having trouble understanding what is what on their site.  Whicch ones are these and are they better then "old ones", whichever ones they are?  Maybe you could help me out and cross-reference the old and new with their web-page designation on ALO.  Thanks.

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #125 of 2,398
I made a cable using teflon insulated silver plated solid #26 wire, twisted by pair then the 2 pairs braided.

Great cable.  Wire available sometimes on eBay.

Mar 22, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #126 of 2,398

Quote:
Is this the cable you, or someone else, referred to earlier as "round woven 8 wire LCD2 cables" from ALO.  I'm having trouble understanding what is what on their site.  Whicch ones are these and are they better then "old ones", whichever ones they are?  Maybe you could help me out and cross-reference the old and new with their web-page designation on ALO.  Thanks.

Model R8-C.  That's the current model that I've evaluated and like very much.  I have not yet heard the RW8-C.

Mar 22, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #127 of 2,398
I am trying to get some clarification on that, to see if there is any difference in the cable structure or just the terminations. They now have the RW-8 model in both copper and copper+ silver returns.

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #128 of 2,398

Quote:
I am trying to get some clarification on that, to see if there is any difference in the cable structure or just the terminations. They now have the RW-8 model in both copper and copper+ silver returns.

I have only seen and heard the R8-C model so I cannot speak to the others.  Seems like maybe there's some ad copy errors on Ken's site.

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #129 of 2,398

I was thinking about the cable shielding question again. Although interference (of any sort) absorbed or carried by unshielded cable may not present as hum or buzz, I do believe it does come through as interference. It may add greyness or haze or muddy the sound. Broad terms, I know. Look at the differences that a shielded multi-plug power box can make in the system chain (eg Furutech).

There is just SO much crap in the air and in power-lines these days that some of it must make it's way into the sonic signature of audio equipment via such things as cables and power cords. Look at the trouble top-flight recording studios go to with cabling and power.

The standard LCD-2 cables use a quality (shielded?) copper cable. If you are going to ditch the standard LCD-2 cable, you might as well get the best quality materials (yeah, silver for me) and the best thought out design. Otherwise, why bother changing the standard cable at all?

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #131 of 2,398
Really like them.  I have gone to using them exclusively.  They're the best combination of ergonomics, being very lightweight and flexible, and sonics, being very smooth, and transparent.

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #132 of 2,398

Quote:
If you listen to music seated near your amp, and you feel that your cable is too heavy, it is probably too short.  I bought a 10 foot Norse Audio cable for my LCD2s, which is long enough for it to rest on the floor between my chair and my equipment rack.  No weight issues at all.  The cable also sounds and looks great, and the workmanship is top notch.

I'm hoping Trevor will soon be making similar cables terminated for the HD800s; he said he eventually will make them for all of the current top phones, but next up are cables for the HE6.

Got a link to where Norse Audio cables can be purchased?

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #133 of 2,398
You have to email Trevor, norseaudio@gmail.com, and tell him you are interested in purchasing cables from him.

Mar 26, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #135 of 2,398
Quote:
As a matter of fact, I think a silver and gold cable is indeed the ultimate 
tongue.gif
.  I have been enjoying my Crystal Piccolino which is a Silver and Gold alloy and it gives me the best of both copper and silver characteristics at the same time without the shortcomings of both.

James, do you have the piccolino just for the jh13s or also for the lcd2s? how much are they
eek.gif
?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back