LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
Mar 6, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #91 of 2,398
I have the half silver/half copper cable.  Very light and amazing to see in person.  It sounds really good too.  However I don't have any other cable to compare it to.  I very happy with Ken's work on this.

Quote:
Guys,

We have 3 new round woven 8 wire LCD2 cables all of them and about half of the weight of the older 8 wire 18awg one that Skylab is complaining about being heavy. One of these is half silver and half copper. We have one more in the works, all are really nice and chewy, the half silver half copper has some nice action for the top end with our being offensive. Please check them out all are on the website and do ping me if you have any questions ken@aloaudio.com

cheers,

Ken

Mar 7, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #92 of 2,398

Quote:
Quote:
Silver Dragon v3 cable +  internal Silver Dragon v3 rewire = orgasmic. Overall sound seems to be airier, cleaner and more transparent. 

This cable, it's really like it's made for the LCD2. 
biggrin.gif

Why would you wanna ruin such nice phones with silver?

Lol... I wonder if I am not a copper guy after all as well. Just got the AZB5. No burnin whatsoever and it certainly wows me more then the SD 3. There is no doubt audial difference between these cables that is not all that subtle. AZB5 brings the midrange forward some. Slightly less air but this is compensated by the Ref9 which seem to injest tons of it compared to my DAC19 or any other DAC I tried.

To early to tell but no sense of gravel of what to call it on this one either. 

Mar 8, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #94 of 2,398
Mar 8, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #95 of 2,398

Quote:
Quote:
Silver Dragon v3 cable +  internal Silver Dragon v3 rewire = orgasmic. Overall sound seems to be airier, cleaner and more transparent. 

This cable, it's really like it's made for the LCD2. 
biggrin.gif

Why would you wanna ruin such nice phones with silver?

Silver is more bling than copper. Deal with it. 
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 8, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #97 of 2,398
Mar 8, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #98 of 2,398

Quote:
Quote:

Silver is more bling than copper. Deal with it. 
evil_smiley.gif

Aha now its crystal clear to me, so a Gold cable is the ultimate then:D

As a matter of fact, I think a silver and gold cable is indeed the ultimate 
tongue.gif
.  I have been enjoying my Crystal Piccolino which is a Silver and Gold alloy and it gives me the best of both copper and silver characteristics at the same time without the shortcomings of both.

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #99 of 2,398

Quote:
As a matter of fact, I think a silver and gold cable is indeed the ultimate 
tongue.gif
.  I have been enjoying my Crystal Piccolino which is a Silver and Gold alloy and it gives me the best of both copper and silver characteristics at the same time without the shortcomings of both.

Pray tell, what are those shortcomings?  

Mar 8, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #100 of 2,398

Quote:
Pray tell, what are those shortcomings?  

Well, first let me laid the background of where I'm from so you can put my comments in perspective.  As for headphones, I have the HD800, LCD2, and JH-13, among others, in general these are rather revealing cans by most people standard, meaning that they can reveal upstream source with relative ease. And i have these cans for over 1.5 years, 6 months, and almost two years respectively so I am very familiar with their sound.  For the LCD2 and HD800, I use copper as my choice of cable, especially for the 800 because of their brighter upper.  My cable of choice are the ALO 8 wire 18 awg Chain Mail UPOCC (LCD2) and the Stefan Audio Arts Voice (HD800).  These are high end coppers cables so I am very familiar with their characteristics.  By the way, with the 800/Voice combo, I never experience the sibilance problem that some 800 owners have observed and reported.  

Then I have the JH-13 and for the JH13 I originally had Stefan Audio made me a customer cable with their Equinox line of cable which is a copper cable, then I bought the Whiplash TWag v1 cable which is a nice high end silver cable, then I bought again the ALO 22 awg chain mail 4 wire UPOCC cable which is a nice copper cable.   Up to about a month ago, I was using these cables for my JH13 and I have compared them side by side multiple times in exactly the same system, same source, same recording, same passage.  At least on the JH13, the different characteristic with each of these cables are very easily discernible.  With the Silver TWag, the sound is clearer and brighter with the mid and treble, more transparent, just a cleaner and closer sound yet with a slight touch of dryness in the upper.  The bass is tight and clearly and nicely there.  And when I switch to the ALO copper, I immediately noticed the impact of the bass. The other aspect is nice and warm and a touch dark when compare to the TWag.  But the bass of the copper reaches to my bone w/ visceral effect as oppose to the TWag that reaches to my skin.  The difference between the two in the bass department is so clear that I can tell them apart in a blind test which I did.  Then a month ago, I walked into an audio store and I saw the Crystal Piccolino for the JH13/16.  I also had the TWag and ALO with me at the time.  When the manager offered to let me hear the crystal cable, I gladly accepts as I have been wanting to try this famous cable to see what all the hype is all about.  I was a skeptic and think they are just hype and "how can an iem cable worth that much" type of an attitude.  After I put the crystal on my jh13 and in no less than two minutes I was in shock, then I break out a silly smile in disbelief.  I was in shock not because it sounded very good but because the Crystal has the bass of my ALO and even better the treble of my TWag in the same cable.  I really didn't expect to have both characteristics in one cable.  The second surprise I found is that the cable is VERY VERY smooth. As you know with silver cable sometimes you get that bright clear feeling that you can develop listener fatigue because of that sharpness.  But the crystal give me that smooth feeling that even at high volume the listening is very pleasant is just simply amazing. Apparently, the manufacturer attribute the characteristic to the gold filling in the space of the silver.  Because of the smooth, close, natural, warm but transparent character of the mid and upper and with the LCD2 like bass in the low end, listening to the JH13/crystal combo gives you a sense of a personal audition with the artist.  Very enjoyable.

So when I say shortcomings in the previous post, I really mean it relatively.  If I never listen to the crystal I would not have known that the best of both worlds can be had at the same time and I could be very happy with either the ALO or TWag, but once you have tasted the sweetness, you may be listening with one but your mind is with the other
wink.gif
  Now I am in the process to made a crystal LCD2 cable. 

Mar 8, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #101 of 2,398

Quote:
Well, first let me laid the background of where I'm from so you can put my comments in perspective.  As for headphones, I have the HD800, LCD2, and JH-13, among others, in general these are rather revealing cans by most people standard, meaning that they can reveal upstream source with relative ease. And i have these cans for over 1.5 years, 6 months, and almost two years respectively so I am very familiar with their sound.  For the LCD2 and HD800, I use copper as my choice of cable, especially for the 800 because of their brighter upper.  My cable of choice are the ALO 8 wire 18 awg Chain Mail UPOCC (LCD2) and the Stefan Audio Arts Voice (HD800).  These are high end coppers cables so I am very familiar with their characteristics.  By the way, with the 800/Voice combo, I never experience the sibilance problem that some 800 owners have observed and reported.  

Then I have the JH-13 and for the JH13 I originally had Stefan Audio made me a customer cable with their Equinox line of cable which is a copper cable, then I bought the Whiplash TWag v1 cable which is a nice high end silver cable, then I bought again the ALO 22 awg chain mail 4 wire UPOCC cable which is a nice copper cable.   Up to about a month ago, I was using these cables for my JH13 and I have compared them side by side multiple times in exactly the same system, same source, same recording, same passage.  At least on the JH13, the different characteristic with each of these cables are very easily discernible.  With the Silver TWag, the sound is clearer and brighter with the mid and treble, more transparent, just a cleaner and closer sound yet with a slight touch of dryness in the upper.  The bass is tight and clearly and nicely there.  And when I switch to the ALO copper, I immediately noticed the impact of the bass. The other aspect is nice and warm and a touch dark when compare to the TWag.  But the bass of the copper reaches to my bone w/ visceral effect as oppose to the TWag that reaches to my skin.  The difference between the two in the bass department is so clear that I can tell them apart in a blind test which I did.  Then a month ago, I walked into an audio store and I saw the Crystal Piccolino for the JH13/16.  I also had the TWag and ALO with me at the time.  When the manager offered to let me hear the crystal cable, I gladly accepts as I have been wanting to try this famous cable to see what all the hype is all about.  I was a skeptic and think they are just hype and "how can an iem cable worth that much" type of an attitude.  After I put the crystal on my jh13 and in no less than two minutes I was in shock, then I break out a silly smile in disbelief.  I was in shock not because it sounded very good but because the Crystal has the bass of my ALO and even better the treble of my TWag in the same cable.  I really didn't expect to have both characteristics in one cable.  The second surprise I found is that the cable is VERY VERY smooth. As you know with silver cable sometimes you get that bright clear feeling that you can develop listener fatigue because of that sharpness.  But the crystal give me that smooth feeling that even at high volume the listening is very pleasant is just simply amazing. Apparently, the manufacturer attribute the characteristic to the gold filling in the space of the silver.  Because of the smooth, close, natural, warm but transparent character of the mid and upper and with the LCD2 like bass in the low end, listening to the JH13/crystal combo gives you a sense of a personal audition with the artist.  Very enjoyable.

So when I say shortcomings in the previous post, I really mean it relatively.  If I never listen to the crystal I would not have known that the best of both worlds can be had at the same time and I could be very happy with either the ALO or TWag, but once you have tasted the sweetness, you may be listening with one but your mind is with the other
wink.gif
  Now I am in the process to made a crystal LCD2 cable. 

Silver is a better conductor of electricity (about 17% better than copper), but more expensive. And gold is worse than either copper and silver as an electrical conductor. My experience with good silver cables is that there is an improvement to the mids/treble response. If I purely concentrate on the bass, I find it virtually identical, but with an improvement in liquidity of the mids/bass, I can understand how some think the bass is more subdued when the mids/treble are improved in relation to the bass. But using a frequency sweep between 20Hz - 120Hz, I hear no differences in the bass between copper and silver. 

Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

Mar 8, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #102 of 2,398

Quote:
Silver is a better conductor of electricity (about 17% better than copper), but more expensive. And gold is worse than either copper and silver as an electrical conductor. My experience with good silver cables is that there is an improvement to the mids/treble response. If I purely concentrate on the bass, I find it virtually identical, but with an improvement in liquidity of the mids/bass, I can understand how some think the bass is more subdued when the mids/treble are improved in relation to the bass. But using a frequency sweep between 20Hz - 120Hz, I hear no differences in the bass between copper and silver. 

Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

Just a correction, silver only conducts ~7% better than copper.

Mar 8, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #103 of 2,398

Quote:
Just a correction, silver only conducts ~7% better than copper.

You're right...the "1" was a typo, my finger slipped. I meant 7%...thanks for the clarification.

Must be all this cold medication I'm on?
tongue.gif

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #104 of 2,398

Quote:
Silver is a better conductor of electricity (about 17% better than copper), but more expensive. And gold is worse than either copper and silver as an electrical conductor. My experience with good silver cables is that there is an improvement to the mids/treble response. If I purely concentrate on the bass, I find it virtually identical, but with an improvement in liquidity of the mids/bass, I can understand how some think the bass is more subdued when the mids/treble are improved in relation to the bass. But using a frequency sweep between 20Hz - 120Hz, I hear no differences in the bass between copper and silver

Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

That is exactly my point.  The 7% advantage of conductivity silver has over copper does not produce or result in noticeable difference in frequency change.  Obviously sound is more than frequency response.

Mar 9, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #105 of 2,398
Consider this; why using Silver since all the Printed Circuit Board traces are made from copper, all passive and active components leads/pins (with the exception of rare “exotic” capacitors with Silver leads which don’t sound good, BTW) are made with Copper, most audio transformers and ALL power transformers are made with Copper, all vacuum tubes pins are Copper (and some have Copper-clad grids) etc, etc. So, Does it make any sense whatsoever using a Silver wire or connectors? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back