Lavry DA11 vs GD-Audio Reference 9 vs Reference 5 - Recommendations?
Jul 25, 2010 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Topaze

New Head-Fier
Which one of these would you recommend for classical music? Speaking of the Reference DACs, I'll need the USB version because I'll have to connect the DAC to my laptop. So, the quality of their USB interfaces is also important.

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
Which one of these would you recommend for classical music? Speaking of the Reference DACs, I'll need the USB version because I'll have to connect the DAC to my laptop. So, the quality of their USB interfaces is also important.

Ive had the Lavry Da10 and REF5.
If I only wanted a DAC  Id pick the REF5  ( DA10/11 have a headphone amp and preamp function as well as the DAC)
I think the REF 5 has better sound quality- it images better , timbres are more natural (violins actual sound like violins!), images are distinct etc.
The REF 5 has a DSP that makes the USB sound so similar to BNC I cant tell the difference so that saves getting a USB to SPDIF converter.
The REF5 has a better warranty then the DA10/11 and if something goes wrong it has discrete components with a modular design for ease of maintenance. If something blows on the DA10 board be prepared to kiss the unit goodbye.

Jul 28, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 11
I can't comment on the GD - never heard one.

I am, however, a very enthusiastic DA11 owner.  I use the USB input exclusively.  The integrated amp is also quite excellent, so it's a good one box solution.  What headphones do you plan to use?  I can almost guarantee that you will not be disappointed with the DA11.  When I bought mine (direct) I had a 30day audition period.

BK

Jul 28, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions!

To BK_856er: I'm going to use ATH-W5000+AT-HA5000.

One of my favorite combinations is the ATH-AD2000 (lowish impedance, sensitive) directly out of the DA11.  I think most AT would do pretty well, particularly for classical.  I also tried the W1000, and the DA11 drives it no problem, but I don't really care for its signature with my primary genres.

BK

Jul 28, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks again. :wink:

The thing is, right now I'm considering another DAC, namely the Reference 7. I understand it's quite a bit more expensive, but it looks very solid and is described by the manufacturer as a more neutral model (which suits me better because I think that flavors should preferably originate from amps and headphones, not from DACs). I think it will probably outperform the DA11, and should I need to go balanced in the future I won't have to change the DAC. Modular design also helps.

I don't think there should be any problem with jitter, but if there is, I'll probably buy the Halide bridge sometime in the future.

As for the DA11's built-in amp/preamp, it's a welcome addition, but I don't really need it, so whatever money I'd have to spend on that particular module would be spent for nothing.

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 11

Posted by Topaze /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks again. :wink:

The thing is, right now I'm considering another DAC, namely the Reference 7. Nice choice - why compromise. 

I understand it's quite a bit more expensive, but you will save money by avoiding upgrading losses later and also the expense of a HiFace or similar jitter reduction source

but it looks very solid and look at all the quality components - amazing value

and is described by the manufacturer as a more neutral model (which suits me better because I think that flavors should preferably originate from amps and headphones, not from DACs).  Im with you on that, besides even the neutral REF5 is to me is if anything on the  dark side of tonality 

I think it will probably outperform the DA11, you would need to listen to know but it would be a shock if it did not

and should I need to go balanced in the future I won't have to change the DAC. yeah

Modular design also helps. smart design for reliability-maintenance

I don't think there should be any problem with jitter, but if there is, I'll probably buy the Halide bridge sometime in the future. REF5 seems source insensitive to me but the LavryDA10 needs a HiFace and the DA11 is much like the DA10

As for the DA11's built-in amp/preamp, it's a welcome addition, but I don't really need it, so whatever money I'd have to spend on that particular module would be spent for nothing. good rationale

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #11 of 11
Heya Topaze,

Was just wondering if you went with the Ref 7? Or if you ended up auditioning the all three dacs?

A friend of mine is selling his RME ADI-2 for only $350 though it has dents and scratches on it.
I'm still trying to decide if it is a good buy for my Adam A7x and Grado PS500...
Part of me is really tempted to just stretch my budget for either the DA11 or Ref 5.2 and not have to worry about getting a better DAC in the near future.
If i Get the Ref 5.2 I can always just buy a cheap amp, and wait to upgrade.
The DA 11 would be a nice one stop shop.
That said, I am curious what you thought about their sound quality?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back