Lavry DA10 transport
Mar 17, 2006 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mjb

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I just ordered my DA10 and it should be here tomorrow. Anyways...I've read all the uber-threads about cdp vs hard drive, jitter, etc... Can anyone chime in on, sound quality alone (short term--so no worry about cd's getting scratched and lost, hard drives failing, lasers needing replacement, convenience, rip time, etc) just plain sound quality...

eac/secure -> flac -> m-audio transit -> toslink -> da10
versus
redbook -> cheap dvd player -> coax -> da10

So, basically, if I'm going to spend $100 on a transport, should I get a cheap dvd player or an m-audio transit? The computer is a laptop and my solution needs to be transportable (so no PCI cards and no 100 pound ancient cd players
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Also, of all the cheap dvd players I've seen people listing as transport/source, no one seems to be using the $70-$80 sony model bb and cc sell (I believe it's the DVPNS50PS or something like that)...any specific reason?

Thanks for the help...

mjb

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 6
Well neither solution will be particularly jitter-immune, from a power cleanliness standpoint, however the computer will be jitter free at least in getting the audio off the cd and to the transport mechanism, and the same cannot be guaranteed of a cd-player. So if I were to think either would have an advantage, it's the PC system.

However, I think in this case, the differences would be pretty darned small, if not imperceptible, and I would strongly urge you to make the decision based on which method of listening to music you prefer and are most comfortable with. If just popping a CD in and pressing play is more conducive to your musical enjoyment, it will make far more difference to how much you get out of that listening session than a few pS of additional jitter will. Same goes for if you prefer to have any album avaliable at the click of a mouse. Either way, when talking about potential transports that are not radically different in terms of potential jitter, you should use the aforementioned criteria, rather than spin your wheels in audiophile paranoia.

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #3 of 6
Ah...reality check...thanks.

Spending a grand tends to make me do strange things...

By the way...thanks a million for the review and all the info you've contributed to the various da10 threads.

mjb

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by foo_me
Jon,

Do you know how this compares with Empiracle Audio's USB to spdif solution?

Funny you should ask b/c I'm looking at the Empirical "Freeway" with DIY SLA battery PS and HagUSB on my audio rack, feeding Chime DAC.

Here's what I would say. Get the HagUSB if you are planning to use Empirical gear WITHOUT battery PS (DIY or Empirical BPS). Price to performance is much higher with HagUSB.

If you want that last step of performance, go for the Freeway with some kind of battery PS. IME, going with battery is a much bigger step up than going with superclock/SC ps upgrade (the Offramp).

Another reason to go with Empirical is b/c it's compatible with foobar's asio dll mode, which I prefer to ASIO4All in SQ. HagUSB will only work ASIO4All, not ASIO dll in foobar. Then again, I would love to hear the HagUSB with some kind of battery PS, but it's impossible to even try b/c it's powered by USB cable in stock form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back