Lavry Black DA-10 is in the house
Mar 13, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #16 of 27
Also have balanced HD650 cables on their way due to the many positive comments regarding the use of the DA10 XLR output directly to headphones.

Intuitively I would think that the headphone amp in the Lavry (which was specifically designed to drive headphones) should perform better than the XLR output (which wasn't.) I think Dan Lavry himself said something to this effect on a forum thread somewhere.

That some reputable head-fiers are saying the balanced output is superior to the headphone output seems a bit surprising to me, although I look forward to trying it out myself.

Mar 13, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #17 of 27
I have yet to get my RME Digi96/8 PAD working with its breakout cable into my Lavry DA10, but just to check out the card I hooked up a glass toslink out and into the DA10 and I am in love....with this sound.

There is a definite difference between the iHP-140 and this card. I have not studied the differences yet but after a while I plan on doing this. Right now I just want to bath in this sound...

Mar 13, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradH
Also have balanced HD650 cables on their way due to the many positive comments regarding the use of the DA10 XLR output directly to headphones.

Intuitively I would think that the headphone amp in the Lavry (which was specifically designed to drive headphones) should perform better than the XLR output (which wasn't.) I think Dan Lavry himself said something to this effect on a forum thread somewhere.

That some reputable head-fiers are saying the balanced output is superior to the headphone output seems a bit surprising to me, although I look forward to trying it out myself.

which cables did you decide on?

Mar 14, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser
I have yet to get my RME Digi96/8 PAD working with its breakout cable into my Lavry DA10, but just to check out the card I hooked up a glass toslink out and into the DA10 and I am in love....with this sound.

There is a definite difference between the iHP-140 and this card. I have not studied the differences yet but after a while I plan on doing this. Right now I just want to bath in this sound...

Damnit... Now I actually need to get a better digital transport for my home rig
frown.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #21 of 27
My DA10 showed up this afternoon...wow, this thing is amazing. Using the stock hd650 cable right now, but I've got a headphile v2 balanced female on the way. I ended up grabbing a sony dvp-ns50ps to use as a transport ($80 BB cheapie)...I'm very happy with it.

I've always been a computer-based listener, but I tend to agree with fewtch's idea about the computer being a distraction from the listening experience. It's also like the difference between reading an actual book and reading the same text on the computer screen. I enjoy the experience of handling the disc, seeing the liner notes, having big play/stop/pause/skip buttons in a dedicated device, etc.

I gotta thank Iron_Dreamer again for being the impetus to getting me to this point of listening bliss...

I think it's also time to go donate more money to head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif

mjb

Mar 19, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #22 of 27
Does anyone else have the impression that the DA10 has a 'dark' quality to it? I have it paired with HD650's (which are infamously dark/veiled), so I'm sure that's part of it. But I've gone back and forth with my CI VDA1/VAC1, and it's definitely brighter than the Lavry (although a bit grainier also.)

Don't get me wrong, I think it still sounds very good. But the combination is darker than I'd like it to be.

Mar 19, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradH
Does anyone else have the impression that the DA10 has a 'dark' quality to it?

Not at all, though I am pairing mine with the K340's. Your Sennheisers are dark though, so if there is any darkness to the Lavry you would notice it more I would think.
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #25 of 27
i was just about to order the lavry when i got an email back saying they would have some the 2nd week of april !!!
rolleyes.gif

are there any online dealers that have the current version in stock??

Mar 20, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #27 of 27
well i found someone who had it in stock, mercenaryaudio
they have a very generous tryout/return policy so i feel good about that

should come wednesday or thursday, i cant wait!
580smile.gif

thanks anyway brad, thats a cool site too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back