Lavry Black DA-10 and Singlepower amps
Mar 27, 2006 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

profsbg

New Head-Fier
Does anyone have comments on

1. DA-10 with internal headphone amp, versus DA-10 driving PPX3 or MPX3?

2. DA-10 as preamp in speaker rig, versus DA-10 driving PPX3 or MPX3 with preamp out option?

Thanks

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 8
I have the first configuration (Lavry/MPX3), what would you like to know?

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #3 of 8
Well, I guess any qualitative impressions, for example, soundstage, impact, richness. Which setup do you listen to primarily and does it depend on music type and recording quality? Also what tubes do you use in MPX3, and difference in Grado versus (higher impedance) AKG?

I am intrigued by the increased flexability of adding the amp especially for tube rolling. I have Lavry and DT-880 , SR-325i and AKG-701 (ordered). For speaker rig, Wright Sound 2A3 monoblocks and Klipsch Chorus 2.

Mar 27, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 8
Well as I said I can't speak for the 2nd set up, but relative to what I do have, IMO the soundstage of the MPX3 that I have paired with the Lavry is superior to the Lavry out of my transport. There is greater warmth and clarity as opposed to the Lavry's headamp. That being said I do not feel its necessarily a comparison that one should make, you have a sound that is decidedly solid stae vs. a tube amp. That said I do think that they work well together and the fact that you can tube roll (change the presentation) is always a plus.

That being said I feel that there is no comparison, if I had to keep one only I'd go for the MPX3 (or PPX3 SLAM or with proper upgrades)

The tubes that I use are the mainly 12sn7GT, 14n7, 6BL7GT and 6BX7GT. Those are octal tubes that do not require a tube adapter with the exception of the 14n7 which is a loctal tube. If you're looking for tubes for the 701s or Grados, powerful output tubes like the 6BL7GT, 6BX7GT, 5687, 6350, 6463 are favorable compared to the 6/12sn7 as they can provide the necessarily current to drive the lower impedence cans. realize that if you wanted to use 5687s, 6463 or 6350s, you would need to buy tube adapters from Mikhail as well.

But yes tube rolling is fun and useful as I can tailor the sound to what I want it to be as oppoised to being fixed with one type of sound. That being said for what it is the Lavry's headamp is no slouch and for what you get I also think it's a great bargain, also consider the fact that Lavry's customer service is second to none. SP's service is great as well.

Mar 27, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 8
The balanced outs on the Lavry sound great with high impedance headphones and the headphone output on the front was made for grados, better than a dynalo in my opinion. Still, one of Mikhails amps would do a better job... not $2000 better, but better.

Mar 27, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #6 of 8
How about with regards to sheer detail?

Mar 27, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by profsbg
Does anyone have comments on

1. DA-10 with internal headphone amp, versus DA-10 driving PPX3 or MPX3?

2. DA-10 as preamp in speaker rig, versus DA-10 driving PPX3 or MPX3 with preamp out option?

Thanks

I will be able to compare shortly, mpx3 6cg7 variant with some upgrades around $1000

Mar 27, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 8
Detail - Ummm, well, if you are listening to a headphone through the XLR outputs of the Lavry and then the same headphone from an amp that is connected to the XLR outputs of the Lavry I can't really see how the second setup could have *more* detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back