Last Minute Advice on Fiio E7...
Jan 2, 2011 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 168

MarkyMark87

100+ Head-Fier

Hey guys, so I need some advice, I've already pm a few members and they helped me tremendously so I'm hoping you guys can confirm their answer, I am going to keep this short as I have a tendency to drag on too much.

Source:  HP Pavilion Laptop DV1000 (bought Sept 05)

Music Player:  iTunes, mostly 320 kbps with some 192, one album in ALAC format (just discovered)

Headphones:  Shure SRH750DJ plugged directly into headphone jack of laptop.

Problem(s):   -headphones seem like they are bing underpowered

-would like more boom in my bass, the mids and highs are just fine

-really can't tell the difference between the exact same song that is in 320 kbps vs one that is in ALAC format

Solution Already Attempted:  Eq settings on itunes in an attempt to add bass cause a distorted sound with a ticking when the bass hits, annoying and definitely do no want this

Solution Suggested:  Get a dac/amp combo, my preferred budget is $120 but am willing to stretch it to $145 max(got the headphones on discount so don't want to pay way more for the map than the headphones cost)

Options Suggested:   -Fiio e7 $85(not sure if tax inluded) on mp4nation right now (anybody know when this sale ends? I'm worried it'll end tomorrow since                  holidays are done so may have to purchase it before midnight)

-Hot Audio Bit Perfect ($90 not tax included, live in Canada as guy making it so shipping should be easy)

Questions:  -Of the two, is there one that is noticely better for me?

-With a budget of $120-145, do you think there is a much better option for me?

-If I was to get the E7, for $105 I can add the E9 as well, is it really worth the extra cost considering I in most likelihood                   will keep these headphones for atleast the next 2yrs without a need to upgrade?  Or is the E7 not enough for me to make a difference? (Considering the 750DJ is considered easy to drive I'm naturally assuming the E7 should be just fine)

-Will the E7 distort the sound when I add the added bass boost?

Restrictions:  I prefer to only buy brand new (stupid I know but personnel preference) and I prefer authorized dealers so I have warranty.

Thanks guys, hopefully I can get some responses relatively soon as I most likely will purchase the E7 before midnight unless I receive strong advice not to get it.

:)

Jan 2, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 168
mp4nation's $85 price tag is unlikely to change anytime soon. You missed out on the 15% off coupon from last week, which I used to buy from them. They are about $80 from dealsextreme and there's still the E7 from bestofferbuy costing $71 when 10% off is applied, but they are not authorised sellers of FiiO.

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 168

Quote:
mp4nation's $85 price tag is unlikely to change anytime soon. You missed out on the 15% off coupon from last week, which I used to buy from them. They are about $80 from dealsextreme and there's still the E7 from bestofferbuy costing $71 when 10% off is applied, but they are not authorised sellers of FiiO.

I just spoke to a rep and the sale will be on until the end of this week for sure and most likely next week as well so hopefully another coupon becomes available in the mean time.  Also ya dealsextreme is not an authorized seller so thats no good.

Thanks for the help

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 168
I am glad you have started this thread as I, too, am in the same situation. However not only am I looking at the FiiO e7 and HotAudio Destroyer like you are, the NuForce uDAC2-HP and iBasso T3 are also lingering in my mind! The worst part is, they are pretty close in price range.

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 168

Quote:
I am glad you have started this thread as I, too, am in the same situation. However not only am I looking at the FiiO e7 and HotAudio Destroyer like you are, the NuForce uDAC2-HP and iBasso T3 are also lingering in my mind! The worst part is, they are pretty close in price range.

Well from what I hear the uDAC adds more treble but doesn't have as much bass as the E7 but I'm not sure if thats the same with the uDAC2.  I also looked at the iBasso T3 however thats just an amp and not a dac, so thats why I narrowed it down to the Hot Audio Bit Perfect/Dac Destroyer or the E7.  There is the iBasso D2 boa or whatever but that apparently has the same chip as the E7 so not worth the extra price FWIR.

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 168

Quote:
I just spoke to a rep and the sale will be on until the end of this week for sure and most likely next week as well so hopefully another coupon becomes available in the mean time.  Also ya dealsextreme is not an authorized seller so thats no good.  
Thanks for the help

I really doubt they will have another coupon soon. They had a massive sale during Christmas, and then the 15% off.

mp4nation's coupons (those that can be used for FiiO products) are pretty spread out. There was a $15 off FiiO in early September, then the next sale for E7 was two weeks ago. Perhaps, you will have to wait until March to get a cheaper price for E7 from them.

Jan 3, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #7 of 168
When using the E7 as a DAC and amp via the USB cable to a laptop, the quality is vastly improved, in both quality and volume available. Also, the bass boost available in 3 stages on the FiOO E7 does not add any distortion, and is very useable.
I use mine with a Macbook Pro and iTunes, and it works flawlessly. I generally use it at around volume level of 30, out of a possible 60, so half the potential volume with my UE TF10's and it is pretty loud at that. It has worked perfectly with all the audio formats so far, from MP3's to WAV, including a few 96Khz 24 BIT WAV files.
I haven't tried it with my iPod and LOD, as it hasn't arrived yet, but I am sure it will sound great.

I would thoroughly recommend the E7.

Jan 3, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #8 of 168
E7 DAC is really good. Slightly warm and quite neutral. Good details seperation and average soundstage. As a portable amp its not too big a deal.

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #9 of 168

Quote:

Quote:
Thanks for the help

I really doubt they will have another coupon soon. They had a massive sale during Christmas, and then the 15% off.

mp4nation's coupons (those that can be used for FiiO products) are pretty spread out. There was a $15 off FiiO in early September, then the next sale for E7 was two weeks ago. Perhaps, you will have to wait until March to get a cheaper price for E7 from them.

Ok based on all the advice I got from here and other PMs, i decided to go with the E7.  Your post makes alot of sense so I guess I shouldn't expect another sale for another 3 months based on the pattern so far, therefore I will just be ordering the E7 alone tomorrow as I don't want to wait another 3 months just to save about $13.  I just have one final question, I've read the E7 was upgraded a bit which included an addition of power and I've read the new versions light up red when docked to the E9.  I am ordering it from mp4nation, are they selling the latest version?  Is there any way to know for sure?

Jan 4, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 168
It's just a trend, if mp4nation's sale rep said otherwise you should believe them instead of me. I only wanted to point out what I thought. So don't blame me if there's a 50% off coupon next week.

As far as I know, mp4nation is selling the latest batch.

Jan 4, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #11 of 168

Quote:
It's just a trend, if mp4nation's sale rep said otherwise you should believe them instead of me. I only wanted to point out what I thought. So don't blame me if there's a 50% off coupon next week.

As afar as I know, mp4nation is selling the latest batch.

Loll, i doubt the sale will be that big but if was to happen ill definitely come find you :p

Jan 4, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #13 of 168
I re-read your post again about what they told you. The 15%off coupon was supposed to have expired on 30th Dec. I can't test whether it still works or not because I have used it once. Here's the code de536e174, try and see if it still works.

Jan 4, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #14 of 168
Ok im gonna try using it now, but as far as I know the sale ended last week on the 30th, thats what he saved.  There is something I don't understand, is they already have the E7 at 15% off at $84.58, how long as this sale been on or is that their permanent price?

Jan 4, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #15 of 168
$85 is their normal price. If they changed it, it would be non-competitive. I would go as far as to say raising $85 is less likely than having another coupon this month.

de536e174 is displayed as Invalid Coupon Code now. I think it was still valid after 30/12 until the end of last week based on my experience and comments on Facebook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back