last check before the plunge: microstack
Mar 2, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #16 of 25
I myself personally wouldn't bother with such a rig for portable use. For me the sound quality isn't worth the inconvenience. The battery changing really got to me. I could care less about the size since I'd always use a bag.

Mar 2, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #17 of 25
Heh, I used to keep extra 9v's in my desk at work, at home, in my bag. Seriously, it was like a part of my daily routine - stop by the convienence store, buy some beer, pick up some 9v's...

Having said that, in Tokyo it was totally worth it. But that's because there were extended (15min+) times I'd be sitting in a cab or on the train or just walking around. Not like NYC where if I get more than 3 minutes uninterrupted is a rare event. I don't even use the Sensaphonics anymore because of that.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 2, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #18 of 25
yup; it's all about personal usage. right now i'm back to the portable-kick. basically, what i do is: go to college, study, hike, travel around town and campus (always on buses; free bus pass from school). honestly, at this point i'm just so tired of worrying about all this. i'll just buy something and if it doesn't work out i'll go another way
smily_headphones1.gif
i was just hiking today and realizing that it would be pure bliss to have some beautiful sound; i can really zone-in when i'm hiking and i think the sound-quality difference would be blissful. anyway, we'll see. another nice thing (really no big deal though), is on occasion i can hook my iriver->dac-> to my car stereo via the line-in i've got setup right now. really no big thing since my car-audio is pretty feeble, but nice.

Mar 2, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Heh, I used to keep extra 9v's in my desk at work, at home, in my bag. Seriously, it was like a part of my daily routine - stop by the convienence store, buy some beer, pick up some 9v's...

Having said that, in Tokyo it was totally worth it. But that's because there were extended (15min+) times I'd be sitting in a cab or on the train or just walking around. Not like NYC where if I get more than 3 minutes uninterrupted is a rare event. I don't even use the Sensaphonics anymore because of that.

Best,

-Jason

yeah, i'll definitely be doing rechareables. i think i'll listen to my portable setup for at least 3-4hours everyday when i'm not at home. coffee shops, library, on and on; since i don't want to lug a laptop......

i think if the ipowerus batteries fit that would be a big plus

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
yeah, i'll definitely be doing rechareables.... i think if the ipowerus batteries fit that would be a big plus

I have both the PowerEx 200 mAH (9.6V) and the AccuPower 270 mAH (8.4V), and both have their merits. It's probably placebo, but I prefer the PowerEx's when I'm listening to complex, demanding music. They *seem* to deliver more power (maybe it's the 9.6 v. 8.4 volts thing) when it's needed. On most tracks, you don't notice it, but on complex, demainding music (e.g., certain orchestral classical music), the PowerEx's have a *slight* edge IMO. The downside, of course, is that they have lower capacity and therefore drain more quickly.

I have the DM w/ my Micro Amp, and it completely drains the PowerEx's in about 1.5 hours. You can squeeze more life out of them with proper battery rotation, though.

I would *love* to know if the iPower l-ion's you are looking at actually fit into the battery compartment of the stack. I have heard conflicting reports on this, but most reports seem to say that they don't fit. If you experience otherwise, please let me know, and I'll be placing an order.

By the way, good luck with your purchase. The Stack w/ a Rockbox'ed H120 rules. Works great w/ USB (Asio) from my laptop as well.

Mar 3, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #21 of 25
thanks; yeah, i think i have 25% odds of the ipower's fitting at best, and even if they do they might be too tight to be easily changed....ho humm.

Mar 3, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #23 of 25
actually, i've thought of that, and i have in fact encountered two bears while hiking in the area. you make a good point. i actually carry a type of pepper spray with me;......i may not use it hiking.... or perhaps i'd use some grados!!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
i'm rethinking; maybe move my desk.....wireless keyboard and mouse (i have), turn the monitor just-so.....hummmm.....have home rig (like zhalou), and just DAP->phones on the go. oh, well, who cares? one way or another i'll be enjoying some musical bliss
rolleyes.gif
but then again..................

I'm not sure if you have a mac or PC, but.. if you want to source your tunes from your computer but sit elsewhere, a nice solution is to stick an airport express (optical out to your DAC) near your listening position, and then control your itunes w/ a (compatible) bluetooth cell phone. You then have all the goodness of computer audio w/o sitting in front of one. I love this method (I use the program Salling Clicker for my mac). I don't know how this would be done on PC however.

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #25 of 25
unfortunately it's not like that at all; i sit at my desk, in my chair on the other side of the room, lie in bed, and take stuff with me everywhere, sit on porch, the list goes on
smily_headphones1.gif

i'm pretty sold on the stack. i think i'll get a camera bag to shuttle it around, and plunk that in my backpack. but...headroom seems to be out of amp's for a couple weeks, so i have plenty of time to second guess myself
smily_headphones1.gif

i use a windBLOWS pc

course for your idea i'd be spending lots of $$ on the AX and the cell phone, that i don't want anyway
smily_headphones1.gif
don't want a pda or a laptop or anything else either
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back