last check before the plunge: microstack
Mar 1, 2006 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 15, 2004
Posts
4,049
Likes
13
just want to make a last check before i drop about $1000 or so. i intend to get the microstack (contributer discount of course), an iriver h120 (rockbox it), a pair of senn hd25-1's, probably a pair of hd580's for home, as well as some grado or beyer for home (potentially selling what i like least). also i was thinking i'd buy some maha's and some ipowerus batteries from thomasdistributing, and return the ipower's (keep maha's) if the ipower's don't fit. so....................if anyone objects to this union let them speak now or forever hold their peace! thoughts? suggestions? comments?
icon10.gif


i was going to go with a home dac/amp, but i have to be honest with myself in how i actually listen to music. i think 75% of the time my music listening will be on the go: around campus, on the bus, different places around the house/cooking (fannypack the microstack, and get some cheap/decent phones for cooking fumes
smily_headphones1.gif
), so i think it's a good idea in my case to go for the portable solution, even though i'm sure i could get a bit better sound at home with a zhalou or something, i need the portability.......
 
Mar 1, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 25

Comfy

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 15, 2005
Posts
1,328
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
i have to be honest with myself in how i actually listen to music. i think 75% of the time my music listening will be on the go


I thought along those same lines and got myself a Go-Vibe and a pair of UE super.fi 5 Pro to join my iPod.

Now, a few months later I no longer own the Go-Vibe, nor the Super.fi.
I use PortaPros with the iPod.
I've just ordered the Zhaolu DAC, and am investing in my home rig. (Check out the signature.)

Portable setups are nice, but in the long run carrying something so bulky is annoying. (And I'm talking about iPod + Go-Vibe here.)
Listening on the go is also quite hectic and not really a good moment for hi-fism, IMHO. The background noises and other peoples faces are quite a distraction.

And one more thing. The bang-for-buck factor favors home setups, IMHO.

The transition from portable to home rig worked for me, but maybe you would be happier with a portable rig. It's hard to tell.
 
Mar 1, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 25

9kRPM

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 25, 2005
Posts
164
Likes
0
Like Comfy said, if you don't mind having to carry all the equipment around with you all the time then the microstack is probably the best way to go.

Personally, I wouldn't want to have to carry all the extra equipment around with me everywhere. I'm sure it'd be fine sometimes, but most of the time I only picture it being a hassle. The best portable setup for me is a small mp3 player and a good set of iem's or low profile cans.
 
Mar 1, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 25

Oliver :)

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 14, 2002
Posts
2,885
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
i intend to get the microstack (contributer discount of course), an iriver h120 (rockbox it), a pair of senn hd25-1's


Darn, I knew it was contagious!
eek.gif
blink.gif

uzziah, I'd say have a look at Headrooms bag for the microstack + the corresponding vecro-strap. It is *made* for the setup. I currently carry my stuff in an Obic
(WHICH WILL NOT CHANGE THANKS TO HEADROOM DISCONTINUING THE BIGGER GIGABAG WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE, THANKS AGAIN!
mad.gif
)
and while it is a nice bag it sometimes does look rather strange. You have the rare opportunity of getting a rig that has a tailor-made bag available - use it. I think there is a raving review for the bag somewhere on head-fi.

Plus, you do want to pick up an OFC cable for the HD25, and the velour pads. The stock steel cable is annoying on the go due to microphonics, plus the OFC sounds better.
 
Mar 1, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 25

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 15, 2004
Posts
4,049
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy
I thought along those same lines and got myself a Go-Vibe and a pair of UE super.fi 5 Pro to join my iPod.

Now, a few months later I no longer own the Go-Vibe, nor the Super.fi.
I use PortaPros with the iPod.
I've just ordered the Zhaolu DAC, and am investing in my home rig. (Check out the signature.)

Portable setups are nice, but in the long run carrying something so bulky is annoying. (And I'm talking about iPod + Go-Vibe here.)
Listening on the go is also quite hectic and not really a good moment for hi-fism, IMHO. The background noises and other peoples faces are quite a distraction.

And one more thing. The bang-for-buck factor favors home setups, IMHO.

The transition from portable to home rig worked for me, but maybe you would be happier with a portable rig. It's hard to tell.




exactly the issues i'm trying to sort through. however, i absolutely NEVER carry anything in my pockets. even if i just had DAP->headphones, the dap would go in the front pocket of my backpack that is basically surgically implanted on my back. with that in mind, adding an extra pound or two is basically nothing to me, i don't think it would be any less convienient in my case, OTHER than changing batteries, which is an issue.
 
Mar 1, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 25

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 15, 2004
Posts
4,049
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Darn, I knew it was contagious!
eek.gif
blink.gif

uzziah, I'd say have a look at Headrooms bag for the microstack + the corresponding vecro-strap. It is *made* for the setup. I currently carry my stuff in an Obic
(WHICH WILL NOT CHANGE THANKS TO HEADROOM DISCONTINUING THE BIGGER GIGABAG WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE, THANKS AGAIN!
mad.gif
)
and while it is a nice bag it sometimes does look rather strange. You have the rare opportunity of getting a rig that has a tailor-made bag available - use it. I think there is a raving review for the bag somewhere on head-fi.

Plus, you do want to pick up an OFC cable for the HD25, and the velour pads. The stock steel cable is annoying on the go due to microphonics, plus the OFC sounds better.



yes, i may get the bag, but i can always get it later if i want it. honestly, i don't think in my case it is really that useful. i intend to use the iriver remote almost all the time (clip it to my keychain holder in my backpack, and be able to use it easily without taking anything out of my bag. just some (
eek.gif
) tape holding the dac/amp together, and a velcro strap for the DAP, save me $40 i can use on something more important.

i could use some more input on these mods. OFC cable? i do some DIY'ing myself, so i'd certainly consider doing any re-cabling myself...hummm....research time! yeah!
 
Mar 1, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 25

Oliver :)

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 14, 2002
Posts
2,885
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
yes, i may get the bag, but i can always get it later if i want it. honestly, i don't think in my case it is really that useful. i intend to use the iriver remote almost all the time (clip it to my keychain holder in my backpack, and be able to use it easily without taking anything out of my bag. just some (
eek.gif
) tape holding the dac/amp together, and a velcro strap for the DAP, save me $40 i can use on something more important.



Yaaa, I wish there was a display-remote for iPods. I have a RF-Remote, but every once in a while I do need to unpack the iPod in order to change albums or give a song a 5* rating.

I'd like to see the riot when you post pics of the taped microstack to the "pictures of your portable rig" thread...
evil_smiley.gif



Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
i could use some more input on these mods. OFC cable? i do some DIY'ing myself, so i'd certainly consider doing any re-cabling myself...hummm....research time! yeah!


Oh, just do a search or find a post by Lisa, she had all the relevant links in her signature when I last saw her. There are several oxygen free copper cables matching the HD25, many make turning the cups upside down a prerequisite though. The one I have is asymetric so that is not an issue. Yet it is almost 10' long and terminated to 1/4". Best place to order the extras from is Thomann.de (very nice place), they have all the cables & velour pads (do get the velour pads), plus you will easily find a number of 1/8" plugs. I got a very nice Neutrik one for what, €5? & I just need someone local to reterminate my cable...
 
Mar 1, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #9 of 25

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 15, 2004
Posts
4,049
Likes
13
i think i'll try to diy a cable first. i've got loads of teflon-coated silver-plated-copper that needs to be used, and some mini-connectors. hopefully i can just use the connectors from the headphone-side, but if they're steel which i imagine they are i might consider some reconstruciton/soldering directly to inputs; IF that's reasonable, we'll see.
 
Mar 1, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 25

RockinOut

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 8, 2005
Posts
273
Likes
0
You can't go wrong with this setup for home or on the go.

Iriver H120 and Micro Stack, can't beat it I think. I don't even enjoy my Ipod rig anymore.

I didn't even think about the remote, cool.

tongue.gif
 
Mar 1, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #11 of 25

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 15, 2004
Posts
4,049
Likes
13
question about hd25 recabling:

-are the connectors to the phones just mini-mono connectors or something? if i diy'd, it would be a relatively easy replacement. or are they special somehow?

-is the hd25sp and hd25-1 the same drivers? i mean, if i change the cable, is it all the same?
 
Mar 1, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #12 of 25

Oliver :)

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 14, 2002
Posts
2,885
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
question about hd25 recabling:

-are the connectors to the phones just mini-mono connectors or something? if i diy'd, it would be a relatively easy replacement. or are they special somehow?

-is the hd25sp and hd25-1 the same drivers? i mean, if i change the cable, is it all the same?



They are those typical Sennheiser 2-pins-of-different-diameter connectors, not easy to find from what I read. The SP has different drivers.
 
Mar 1, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #14 of 25

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 15, 2004
Posts
4,049
Likes
13
the other thing with having a dedicated home rig is like this for me: i have my desk in one corner, and my reading chair in another corner next to the window (where i like them). i spend lots and lots of time in my comfy chair reading, in fact when i'm HOME i'm genereally away from my desk; ho-humm
 
Mar 1, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #15 of 25

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 15, 2004
Posts
4,049
Likes
13
i'm rethinking; maybe move my desk.....wireless keyboard and mouse (i have), turn the monitor just-so.....hummmm.....have home rig (like zhalou), and just DAP->phones on the go. oh, well, who cares? one way or another i'll be enjoying some musical bliss
rolleyes.gif
but then again..................
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top