Las Vegas: So damn hott that I have to run at 2am
Jul 4, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #31 of 51
Left Vegas a few days ago. Thank goodness it isn't hot AND humid. You get used to it and it won't really feel suffocating anymore. Renting a car helps a lot. Brand new Chrysler minivan with AC blasting for four days for two-hundred-something bucks total. Hit all the outlets and shopping places during the day. Had to drink lots of coffee to stay up for the nighttime fun though
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
at least you don't sweat as much as if you were in florida!

Florida heat is brutal!

However, some of the very best night time weather on earth is in Florida.

Jul 4, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #33 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by GendoIkari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be in Vegas in 2 days for a wedding. I saw the forcast and it was over 110 all week
blink.gif

At least the humidity is under 5%

My cousins in Sacramento / Folsom always tell me this, every summer:

"Yeah but its a DRY heat..."
My reply:
"Yeah so is my oven... but I don't go sticking my head in it!"

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I almost DIED in Vegas... I LOVE the warm bay area weather in the summer, but Vegas heat is suicide. It was 118 the last time I was there, and 105 at midnight.
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

Heat versus humidity... I was in Indiana in august for a week and the heat index was around 90-95... Holy MOLY!!! People dying all over the place... they had a running death-toll, that was the top story of the evening news!!!, YIKES!!! I'll take the 118 degree Vegas heat any day over that steamy, sweat-sauna.

Jul 4, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #34 of 51
^Thats why I love it here. I just wish it would cool down a few degrees during the day so it can be cooler at night. The hotter it is, the slower it cools.

Jul 4, 2007 at 11:35 AM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your point being?

I think systex was just trying to poke fun at a typo made on the previous page. where treadmill was spelt as threadmill. and "threadmill" would thereby by an instrument by which one "use to get their post count absurdly high."
I also thought it was funny.

Jul 4, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #36 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think systex was just trying to poke fun at a typo made on the previous page. where treadmill was spelt as threadmill. and "threadmill" would thereby by an instrument by which one "use to get their post count absurdly high."
I also thought it was funny.

I guess, mistake corrected.
rolleyes.gif
Perhaps in lieu of making fun of someone a PM to let me know I had made an spelling mistake would have been better. But what do I know of being civil? Perhaps being an a__hole is easier.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 4, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #37 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not wholly true since gymnasiums (which I would assume one would fine a treadmill) can be filled with germs in the air and equipment. I get wet noses everytime I am forced to use the gym by rainy weather.

Besides, running on a treadmill is vastly different experience from running on track, wind resistance for one makes road running tougher. Scenery change (or lack thereof) on the treadmill makes the whole experience more monotonus.

I was thinking of using a treadmill at home. The best analogy I can think off is when I use to cycle in Chattanooga, TN. In the winter moths it would drop to well below 35 F (very cold for a Caribbean person). Well once I went on a 30 mile ride when the outside temperature was in the mid to late 30's and I froze.
mad.gif
I had the proper gear but it was to much for me.

So I got me a "wind trainer" which I used during the winter season. Much better than going out in the cold weather or not cycling.

Jul 4, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #38 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess, mistake corrected.
rolleyes.gif
Perhaps in lieu of making fun of someone a PM to let me know I had made an spelling mistake would have been better. But what do I know of being civil? Perhaps being an a__hole is easier.
rolleyes.gif

Wow. Not trying to be an a**hole at all. Just thought it was a funny joke. Typos really aren't that big a deal...

My apologies.

Jul 4, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #39 of 51
Tomorrow's Las Vegas weather report:

0% chance of rain, 100% chance of [size=small]DEATH[/size]

I went to Bakersfield, CA a few years ago, where at 6 pm the temp was still 113 degrees. I parked my car and walked around the block, and by the time I got back to my car (5 minutes later), I thought I was going to die.......

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #40 of 51
Super hot weather like that is still hot, but it really isn't as bad with low humidity. The air isn't all thick and humid, so you can still breathe without trouble. You're able to keep cool(ish) by sweating so long as you keep drinking water, unlike on a 95% humidity hot day. If you get out of the direct sunlight, it's often much cooler. If there's a breeze, it'll often be cooling because the air doesn't necessarily hold that much heat without all that water vapor in it.

I lived in southern New Mexico while going to college, and we'd have temps up to about 110 in the summer. My house had a swamp cooler - it only brought the inside temp down into the 80 or 85 degree range, but the difference between that and the outside temp made it quite tolerable. It also brought the indoor humidity up which was a nice side effect.

In another month here in Maryland it'll be 95 and humid every day, just gross and unpleasant to be outside. I'd take hotter and dry anyday.

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #41 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Florida heat is brutal!

However, some of the very best night time weather on earth is in Florida.

So far this year we've only hit 90 twice. Today we've had a high of 86, although Fri is supposed to be 90 again. But that's not bad considering we're into July already.

Got to admit though; if we get a morning rain storm and then the sun comes out and it hits 90, the humidity can make it seem a lot hotter than it is!

...ever see a Gator panting!

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #42 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In another month here in Maryland it'll be 95 and humid every day, just gross and unpleasant to be outside. I'd take hotter and dry anyday.

Heat or humidity alone is not that bad, but combination of two is very unpleasant. That sticky and stuffy feeling makes people annoying. Just like Elec, I'd take hotter and dry anyday too.
Anyway, it looks like we are gonna get over 95 and humid weather for the rest of this week at DC area, so grab a bottle of cool water and stay sharp.

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #43 of 51
I find Florida heat acceptible. I was in Stuart last year for a week before a huge video game tournament in August. Was 80s-90s every day, not that bad. I like the rain. Here in Vegas it rarely rains, and when it does, it pours. Only reason Vegas has a flood system.

Jul 5, 2007 at 9:48 AM Post #44 of 51
Whoa, there are rabbits here in Vegas?! Did not know that. I saw a bunch running across the street tonight, 2 adults with like 5 young'ns. Still hot out, was 96 when I left, only 95 on my return. Hottest it has been this year (was 116 today!), and supposed to get hotter tommorow... Thankfully I'm off to San Diego, humid but cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back