LaRocco Pocket Reference - Power Issues
May 29, 2004 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kcaesthete

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

A lot of discussion about the power supply needed for the Pocket Reference has been going on in a thread which was originally designed to show some pictures of the (beautiful) Pocket Reference. I think I'm the one which veered that thread off topic, so I'm starting a new one here.

To catch you up to date, when I received my PR from LaRocco a couple of days ago, I was surprised that it didn't come with a power supply to charge the included batteries. I thought I had remembered that one was included, but the current wording of the Web site makes no mention of a power supply at all, including what might be appropriate to use. There may have been an offer to early pocket reference buyers (of which I thought I was one) for an included charger. It seems like this was quietly removed during the two months I waited for my PR to be finished.

I posted this thread on their forum to ask about the issue. It summarizes my concerns with respect to the PR power issue.

PPL replied with this thread , which discusses some of the technical specs required to power the PR.

I went to RadioShack to see if the adapter he suggested was still available. As he suspected, it has been discontinued. My local store didn't stock anything above 12volts. The elpac which people tend to use in PPA amps does not come with the required plug to work with the PR. Thus, there doesn't (so far) seem to be an easy off the shelf solution to this issue.

OK - now on to a different option. Skipping the rechargeables altogether.

You might want to use lithium 9V batteries instead. Apparently you can get something like 70 hours on two of them. That's at least a few months use for me, if not a year.

Search for Ultralife U9VL-FP6 on google, and you'll find several retailers. Generally you can find prices like $5-6 if you buy in quantaties greater than 2 or 3. The killer is shipping, which tends to range in the $5-$10 area. Unless you're buying a few, that's pretty expensive per unit.

The cost per hour (assuming 2 batteries, after shipping, ordered in quantities of 6) is around 16-20cents, which isn't too bad.

If someone could find a national chain which has lithium 9v batteries for <$6 each, that would be very convenient. I don't see any at Best Buy...

May 29, 2004 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 9
May 29, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 9
i too thought larry was going to include a charger, i don't think i kept the email but i'm sure he was indicating a ps would be included or i wouldn't be recalling this otherwise.

I think ebay sells bulk lithium energizer batteries, i too will be switching to lithium(can't find a ps either)
i STILL can't believe larry sent me the plate witht eh ugly low quality engraving...

....sigh

May 29, 2004 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 9
Xtreme - I may have been mistaken about nothing over 12v at RS. But I definitely didn't see anything which met Phil's recs -- it should be in the range of 20-24vDC, though larry was going to include an 18v 50mA charger, so 18v would probably work too.

Phil says that regulated is preferable (e.g. Elpac), but for the purposes of charging, the RS one would have worked if it was available.

The adapter plug for 2.1 x 5.5 is type M, I think. When I went to RS this morning, there was an 18v/24v adapter that I almost took up to the cash register until I noticed it was AC not DC.
mad.gif

May 29, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #7 of 9
Lindrone,

Well, Larry hasn't posted replies to my queries on the LaRocco Bulletin Board yet (of course, it's only been a couple of days since my first post on the issue), though Phil has responded 2 or 3 times on technical issues.

I'm not sure thy have any more in LaRoccoville to send out.

What is the model number of the adapter you were sent? What specs (volts and mA)?

May 30, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #8 of 9
i hope i get one of those adapters, as i have the email where larry says that he includes one with domestic orders.

otherwise, i'd be interested to know what people are getting for their PRs...any part or product number would be helpful, too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back