Larocco headphone amp repair
Dec 10, 2007 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

acidtripwow

Headphoneus Supremus
Anybody know who I can contact to get a Larocco headphone amp repaired? Any DIY guy want to try? The problem is the on/off switch. When I turn the amp on I have to fiddle with the switch by applying pressure to one side. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Thanks

Dec 10, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #2 of 17
should be doable by any diyer. you do mean the larocco prII, do you? replacement of it's alps rk097 pot should be easy - pot costs 3.25$, and repair maybe takes half an hour

Dec 19, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 17
Is the switch built into the pot (i.e., turn the volume up to turn it on)? If so, and if the pot is an Alps RK097 w/switch, both tangent and amb sell them.

Dec 19, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #6 of 17
I'd guess it would take a bit longer than the 1/2 hour that someone quoted, probably better than double that. Also, it will be pretty hard to determine what kind of switch is required without having the amp in hand which complicates things.

Got any pictures?

Dec 19, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by vixr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, sounds like Nate knows how to quote a job!!! I bid 3 hours... LOL!!!

Hardly, I just know that to sit down, open the case and have a first look around is probably going to take the better part of a half hour. Not to mention desoldering the old switch, figuring out if it's a standard configuration that's available from Mouser, Digikey, etc. could take a heck of a lot longer than that. Trust me, I repaired a couple of portables last year and just finding the right switch is a struggle especially if it's a board mounted one like one of the mini NKK's. The data sheets for those read like gibberish to me half the time.

Dec 20, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LMAO, I was thinking more like 10 minutes.

I'd say your skills are slightly above average and that it might take the rest of us a bit longer.
wink.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #11 of 17
I sent the amp to get repaired but the guy said it started working after he cleaned it up inside. It worked for a while but now it is doing the same thing. Anybody want to replace the switch for me?
Here is a pic and you can see the switch on the left.

Thanks

IMG_0094.jpg

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #13 of 17
For those who are trying to help the OP, enlcosed you will find a pic of the on and off switch. Hope it helps.

on_and_off_detail595.jpg

To take appart the amp is a bit more complicated than it looks, nor only do you have to remove the screews but the volume and bass knobs can only be removed if you destroy them. Plus you have to be careful w/ the charging plug when you take the amp appart. Good luck.

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #14 of 17
Man, Larocco Audio has made some of the worst design decisions that I can remember. Cases glued shut, press-fit knobs that don't come off... what's next, a case made entirely of glue?
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back