large phones similar to MX400s?
Jun 23, 2002 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Aong

Head-Fier
Im looking for some 'home phones' with a budget of around US$150. Currently i have a pair of MX400, which i love the sound of, but they do get a bit uncomforatle in my ear after long periods of listening... so im looking for a pair of non-in-ear type phones with a similar sound. any suggestions?

if it helps, i mainly listen to music like radiohead, massive attack, jewel, fiona apple, coldplay, eric clapton..etc

oh, and i wont be able to afford an amp right away, so something that doesn't require an amp would be good

Thanks

Jun 23, 2002 at 8:03 AM Post #3 of 36
something Sennheiser I think. they have a similar balance to the 580 for instance. expect those bigger headphoens to be a lot less engaging tho. I'm not sure what all the new entry-level Senns sound like, but I think they're not as smooth as the earbuds.

Grado is way to bright.

perhaps the Beyer 250-80, but I would wait for a comment from someone who has actually heard them
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2002 at 9:09 AM Post #4 of 36
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I has a listen to the senn 600, and were a little to 'distant' for me. So far, beyer headphones are on the top of my list, in particular the DT531, but i can't find anywhere to listen to them.

Jun 23, 2002 at 9:30 AM Post #5 of 36
aong, i have the mx500s and just got the HD 280s, and although i haven't done any sort of comparitive listening i think you might be pleased with the 280s...i think they're super comfortable with superb sound.

Jun 23, 2002 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 36
Koss 35, or the portapros are easy to drive and dont cost much money. Do a search on these cans and see what other members have to say about them. Spend as little mony as possible untill you are ready for a real good headphone. At that point you might need a portable amp or better for a great can.

Jun 24, 2002 at 7:49 AM Post #7 of 36
I bought a pair of mx400 for sis, as i found it was cheap. beforehand she got one of those sony earbuds 12 dollar one (found it abit weak sounding). so i returned it for the mx400. (gotta re-glue the package first,hahhahah)

With some listening i find the mx400 to be not as good as koss's like sporta ksc50 drivers. not as full. so if u were to get the ksc35 or sporta--u'll hear a big differernce in the sound. the mx400 'flats out' on bass heavy music. koss's line will not.

i listen to both japanese music and rock music like Zilch. and i find the sportas to work perfectly--sound wise (i like how the bass is so deep) and comfortability wise.

earbuds just feels weird inside my ears. good thing i did not get the mx500. the comfort level might make me dislike it.

audition some grados and see if u will like it. I did test them out sr60 and 80. now im rethinking of getting them.

its actually for use when i head on to college.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2002 at 7:57 AM Post #8 of 36
kenchi1983, should you go Grado? hehe, couldn't help but read the sig. Sorry to cut in, but after getting a feel for the Koss phones, i think you might like the sr325s. I don't think the other end of the Grado spectrum has the bass impact that you're probably looking for. But all i've owned are the sr60 and sr325, not quite sure what lies in between.

Jun 24, 2002 at 8:04 AM Post #9 of 36
those grado sr325's the wooden ones?

im only willing to spend maybe 100. i do like the clarity found on the sr80 alot. and its so lightweight.

That sig--i have not change it since ive registered into this forum.

my first sig was-

Should i go grado. I own sporta.

then it was

Should i go grado. i own sporta +ksc50.

Jun 24, 2002 at 4:42 PM Post #10 of 36
Darn, if you're only willing to spend around 100, forget everything i've said
biggrin.gif
The sr325 retails for around 300, and it only gets worse as you move up to the Reference series. Hmm, what about the Sony V6? I'm sure more board members can vouch for that. I've heard it once, and it might have the bass you're looking for.

Jun 25, 2002 at 3:18 AM Post #11 of 36
400/500s give a fairly neutral sound with a midrange push if anything and pretty minimal bass. The grado SR60 has the same feel, but treble is a bit veiled, unlike the 400s. 125s are better, but have better bass (and so unlike the 400s), sharper treble (shrill to some) and also top out at the $150 price range.

Better bet---Senn HD497s. Neutral sounding, with good mids and bass, as well as nice crisp and balanced treble. These are probably the closest to the 400 sound. 35 is a bit too bass heavy, as are the Beyer 250s. (Again, nothing wrong with bass, but if you want exactly the MX sound, the Beyers or Koss though fine cans will not meet that need...)

And the 580s need an amp. 280s are closed cans, with more bass than the 400s and a flatter soundstage. 497s or secondarily the SR60s are the best solution I can come up with.

Jul 19, 2002 at 10:03 AM Post #12 of 36
i know im reviving an old thread, but im still looking for some phones.

I had a chance to listen to a pair of senn 600, and even out of an amp, they seemed a little 'boring' and distant for my liking (im not say they aren't good, but just not what im looking for).

Also, had a chance to listen to a pair of grado SR-80s. I liked them, but there was no WOW factor. They were nice and exciting, but im new to this so im not sure how to explain it, but ill say they lacked a certain 'grunt'. If i can't find another phone, ill probably get these.

Even then, both these brands are insanly expensive in australia compared to the rest of the world. (the SR80's were about US$130 and the 280s are US$150+)

any more suggestions? ill proabaly looking into the beyer range a little more.

Jul 19, 2002 at 11:27 AM Post #13 of 36
HI: what is the source that you are useing. A not so good source makes cans not so exceiting a good source makes cans very exceiting. Try the senn.580 and a good source and a decent amp.

Jul 19, 2002 at 7:51 PM Post #15 of 36
I think the Koss phones like the KSC-35 and Portapros sound the closest to the MX400, actually they're quite a bit better yet aren't too expensive (don't know if you can get these in Australia though).

The Grado SR-80 sound a lot different to me than the MX400. I think if $130 is the best deal you can get than they're not really worth it. Closer to the MX400 but much better you might enjoy the Beyer 250-80, and it hovers at the top end of your budget. Most of the other Beyer phones require an amp. The HD580 and HD600 also blow way past your budget as you'll need an amp to get these sounding their best.

If you do a search for posts made by Head-Fi member Snulfkin you might find some help with acquiring headphones in Oz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back