Large firm job information.
Mar 4, 2006 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Blitzula

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm examining the market for my profession right now. I would think there are a large number of professionals on these boards.

Does anyone know of sites (pay is fine) that are known to be good sources of information about company culture, salaries, interview process, etc? I'm not looking for the information you'd find from a company's web site...more from the employees or other insiders' point of view.

I found a site or two, but I'm not sure if they're legit (i.e. effective).

Mar 4, 2006 at 8:52 AM Post #2 of 7
Salary.com can help with pay, but I find that they tend to overestimate a little. For corporate culture your only hope is to find employee blogs. It's not always easy (unless it's Sun, Microsoft, etc) but you can find them. Also check out Fortune's 100 best companies to work for, though it focuses on large corps only.

Also company career sites, when well made, can provide a valuable insight into the company. They're not going to lie and make the place to be a dreamland when it's really not. You'll get an idea about a company from its site and the language they use, the schools they recruit from, etc. For example the GM college recruiting page is nothing but the best - UPenn Wharton, Northwestern, Harvard, Cornell, etc. Other places recruit elsewhere.

--Illah

Mar 4, 2006 at 9:01 AM Post #3 of 7
What is your profession? I have a website (or two) in mind, but it's only profession specific and it would be pointless unless that was your chosen profession.

Mar 4, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
I work in accounting/finance.

Here is an example of the kind of site I'm looking for, although this one looks like it could be unreliable to me.

www.vault.com

There's a lot of hype and ignorance on vault.com, but it is the premier website for career information for finance, law and consulting. And you'll find hype and ignorance anywhere. There is also wetfeet.com, and for law, infirmation.com is good too.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 4, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
...and for law, infirmation.com is good too.

yup, among the most informative out there once you weed through the crap. Recent salary increases at the NYC firms were posted there within minutes--sometimes seconds!

To the OP, infirmation.com may be useful to you if you check out the ex-lawyer or in-house boards as there may be some insight into your field.

There's also mbajungle.com, but I don't know much about it.

Mar 4, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
There's a lot of hype and ignorance on vault.com, but it is the premier website for career information for finance, law and consulting. And you'll find hype and ignorance anywhere. There is also wetfeet.com, and for law, infirmation.com is good too.

Best,

-Jason

I thought it was dodgy because of the links to internet degrees and such. I work for a large company that Vault had some preview comments on, and they wre accurate. I'll check it out, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back