laptop (usb) versus cd player or dap (coax) as transport
Dec 11, 2020 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

magicalmouse

500+ Head-Fier
hi i tried my old dvd player as a cd transport and compared it to my win10 laptop (levono t430) running usb

win10 (usb)
fidelizer free (purist)
foobar 2000 wasapi no dsp

arcam dac2

vs

old panasonic (cheap) dvd coax to dac

vs

fiio x7 coax

I found the output was cleaner using the dvd player and a cd which surprised me.

Any comments or ideas of how to get the convenience of a lpatop with the sq of the transport?

d

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #2 of 9
hi i tried my old dvd player as a cd transport and compared it to my win10 laptop (levono t430) running usb

win10
fidelizer free (purist)
foobar 2000 wasapi no dsp

arcam dac2

vs

old panasonic (cheap) dvd coax to dac

I found the output was cleaner using the dvd player and a cd which surprised me.

Any comments or ideas of how to get the convenience of a lpatop with the sq of the transport?

d
I'm guessing you would find it inconvenient to rip your CDs to your laptop and stream them from there. That would of course give you better sq than using your dvd player as transport.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #3 of 9
I'm guessing you would find it inconvenient to rip your CDs to your laptop and stream them from there. That would of course give you better sq than using your dvd player as transport.
Actually i have ripped all my files, my point was that i found the cd as transport cleaner than the sound from the lpatop

d

Dec 11, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #4 of 9
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pi2aes-pro-audio-shield.948380/

It’s been a long journey since my first PC/Mac listening sessions in 2010. Before that I was mostly vinyl and using a Rega Planet CD transport.

Basically every computer CAN sound different. One way to bypass it is with the wireless FLAC transporter listed above. I have not used that but “get” what it’s doing as far as avoiding USB noise.

One way to bypass it too, is going SPDIF optical out of a notebook. Still there is a data ceiling, not letting you transport the highest bit-rates. There is only so much data you can send at a time using Toslink cables. Though for regular 16/44 optical it is fine.

Many laptops have optical out of the 3.5mm which is unknown by the owner.

I now use Walkmans as file servers with a AQCarbon USB to my TA desktop as a way to avoid USB noise. I also use Colibri with the Mac going USB as it sounds OK, still not as good as SPDIF out of a smart TV to the TA or the Walkmans.

Typically my view of the issue is mainly due to what I hear as timing-faults due to USB noise. Early PC with Foobar2000 seemed to get greatly improved using WASAPI. Still I eventually used my CD transport for years as a way to go, due to finding the PRaT better than USB............and having lots of Cds.

Good luck.

B705B2B3-E4E4-4F92-8A65-FF5F132FEE1C.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #6 of 9
Tried again without any dsp on laptop and now am not sure of any difference.

d

A person’s hearing ability is variable. Same as some days you feel like running up a mountain and other days not. Also subjective listening tests are subject to expectation bias; you will often hear what you expect to hear. The subject your covering in this thread has been gone over a bunch. Also much of what we do is a style of insurances based on ideas and habits. There are no right or wrong ways. Though there has been some amazing logs of people with power lines near by seemingly polluting the AC house lines and that even making to the USB, with perception in audio measurable results.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 9
Tried again without any dsp on laptop and now am not sure of any difference.

d
Have you tried using the (free) program Foobar2000 (w/WASAPI) installed on your laptop, to play music files.
See if you can get an even cleaner signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back