Laptop owners: Apple laptop, PC at home?
Apr 20, 2004 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

minya

Headphoneus Supremus
Why do my obsessions keep getting more expensive?

First I lust after a set of Omega IIs.

Now I want a laptop. Sigh.

I've never owned a laptop and I really know nothing much about them. Really, though, I think I'd either buy an Apple Powerbook or an IBM Thinkpad; budget really isn't a concern, because if I am going to buy a laptop (and it won't be for a while if I decide to), I'm going all-out.

I really have my eye on an Apple. Powerbooks transcend the realm of "computers" and have firmly planted themselves within the realm of modern art. They are utterly gorgeous. But expensive... the 15" Powerbook I want is about $2600 not including tax.

I use a PC at home, though. What I'm really getting at is: would it be foolish of me to purchase a Mac laptop when I use a non-Mac computer at home? Would this create all sorts of problems? I used Macs at school a while ago, but it's been years since I've really spent time with one. I'm sure I could pick up the nuances of OSX pretty quickly, though. Would networking be a problem? Inter-computer file transfer? Anything I'm used to on my PC that doesn't exist on a Mac that I'd really really miss?

So if there are any PC-at-home-but-Apple-laptop users here, please chime in.

And PLEASE nobody turn this into "pcz rool macs dr00l lol" thread. We've had several of those before and this is not what I'm trying to accomplish with this one.

Thanks!

- Chris

Apr 20, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 40
The most important question is what is the purpose of the laptop? It doesn't matter what platform/architecture you run as long as it gets the job done.

Is it going to replace your desktop or mirror it in functionality? I personally don't need to max out a laptop as my desktop will always be far more superior.

Apr 20, 2004 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
The most important question is what is the purpose of the laptop? It doesn't matter what platform/architecture you run as long as it gets the job done.

Is it going to replace your desktop or mirror it in functionality? I personally don't need to max out a laptop as my desktop will always be far more superior.

Good point. I didn't even mention that.

I definitely don't envision it as replacing my desktop. More like complementing it. I use my desktop PC for music (storage/playback) and lots of random various tasks and occasional gaming (emphasis on occasional). I would plan on using a laptop for wireless internet.. and.. um.. .. uhh... various Mac-type things.. like.. well, I dunno. Maybe making music or something.

- Chris

Apr 20, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 40
Man, Apple just today released a new series of iBooks that are a bargain! G4 processors 1 ghz and better. I've been wanting a new powerbook/ibook for about three years and that's the best thing about being forced to ignore the march of technology - waiting pays off! I'm going to be moving from a 233mhz processor to one five or six times as fast. Yeah, baby, I'm gonna feel that! Honestly, the gaming thing is problem with Mac, but Macs are great for a lot of stuff - especially music (not to shabby on video or CGI either with Maya and Cinema 4D), there's a slew of software for music. Of course internet, email, blah, blah blah. But remember, buying a mac is kinda like getting a dog - it's a commitment. But one I'm sure you be happy to have made. Go for it. It's a great time to get into a mac.

Apr 20, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 40
Well if you're going to be doing general tasks like using the internet, there's hardly any software investment using a Mac.

I myself wouldn't spend so much on a mac laptop when it can be done on a cheaper PC laptop.

If there is an audio program you like that's exclusive to the Mac, then there's not really an option now is there.
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2004 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 40
chadbang, I haven't even looked at the iBooks. I suppose I should.

lan, you're definitely right. I'm sure I could get by with a much cheaper PC laptop. But there's something about the appeal of a Mac (esp. a Mac laptop) that I cannot describe. Like I said, I liken it to a piece of artwork... there's a certain level of aesthetics that will never be matched by a PC (in turn, PCs are a lot cheaper!)

But yeah, lan, you definitely make a good point. I'll research some alternatives.

- Chris

Apr 20, 2004 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
chadbang, I haven't even looked at the iBooks. I suppose I should.

lan, you're definitely right. I'm sure I could get by with a much cheaper PC laptop. But there's something about the appeal of a Mac (esp. a Mac laptop) that I cannot describe. Like I said, I liken it to a piece of artwork... there's a certain level of aesthetics that will never be matched by a PC (in turn, PCs are a lot cheaper!)

But yeah, lan, you definitely make a good point. I'll research some alternatives.

- Chris

Minya, don't overlook iBooks especially if it's a second computer! The iBook I bought last summer has been my main computer since September, and while the 12 inch screen is a bit limiting, it does everything I want it to do. The 12 inch iBook is small and durable, not to mention its sexy looks.
wink.gif
For me, OS X was the main reason to switch to Mac. It really is that good.

Apr 20, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #8 of 40
If you're looking for a machine to use portably, an iBook is probably the better choice anyway. The durable polycarbonate shell means you can just toss it into a bag or backpack. If you go with a Powerbook or one of the higher-end ThinkPads, you'll need to have some kind of protective case/sleeve in your bag, because the metal shells flex too much when a book is pressing against them. You don't need to baby an iBook.

One other thing to think about: there is no EAC for MacOS X, so you'll still need your full size computer for that. The closest thing is CDparanoia, which has very recently been ported to OS X.

Apr 20, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #9 of 40
I use cdparanoia and FLAC (both command line utilities) and it works perfectly for me. I believe you can also get cdda2wav via fink, which also has a similar "paranoia" mode.

Apr 20, 2004 at 8:56 PM Post #10 of 40
Thanks, Wodgy (and fiddler), I didn't even consider that. If I get a laptop, I'd definitely be using it portably and probably just sticking it into my messenger bag. Do the iBooks have the backlit keyboard?
biggrin.gif

fiddler, OS X is definitely one of the reasons I want to have a Mac laptop. It just looks so.... smooth.

I'm glad to hear cdparanoia was ported.

Can any of you comment in networkability with Macs / PCs? Is it still difficult in this day and age?

- Chris

Apr 20, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #11 of 40
Anything running Panther (the latest version of OS X) works pretty seamlessly now with Windows networks and file sharing and even external drives with a FAT32 filesystem. They *finally* seemed to have worked out all the kinks.

Powerbooks are super cool, I'd have one in a minute if I weren't departing for a locale without regular electricity in a few months
wink.gif

If you already have a reliable PC desktop, it couldn't hurt to try out Mac laptop if you are really interested in how they look, etc.

--Chris

Apr 20, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #13 of 40
i have both a windows desktop and my powerbook, and yet the windows box is probably only on an average of a couple hours a month despite its being 4 times as fast as my powerbook. i'd say go for an ibook or if you can swing it the 15" powerbook. it may just replace your PC entirely (unless you game often, of course)
wink.gif
even in the event that it doesn't, the file/print sharing across windows networks has been vastly improved and is near-bulletproof with 10.3.

Apr 20, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
Another question for Macheads (looking at iBooks now):

Is the jump from a 1GHz to a 1.2GHz processor at all worth it?

- Chris

i personally prefer the 12" ibook, so i would go with the 1GHz, but essentially you probably won't notice enough of a difference, no. i'm still using a 667MHz powerbook with snappy enough results. you honestly don't need a 18GHz cpu with 200GB of ram to do most of the stuff one does with a laptop; it all depends on what you're planning on using it for.

Apr 20, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #15 of 40
Now that the iBooks have faster G4 CPUs, I'd look at one of those. It is a pretty laptop. I already have a very small Japanese laptop though. US models suck in comparision to my opinion.

I havn't have trouble networking between OSX Panther and WinXP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back