Laptop-Fi
Nov 11, 2008 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

choomanchoo

1000+ Head-Fier
Well I've searched and searched, and have yet to find a "Laptop-Fi" thread. So here it goes.

Not sure if this is going to fly with the higher-ups, but there's no harm in trying.

Ladies and Gentlemen boys and girls of Head-Fi, post your laptops and laptop accessories , anything from laptop bags, totes, makes, models or what have you.

I guess I'll start,

I don't have one, which is the original reason for such thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 18
You may want to move this to the "non-gear" forum at the bottom of the page. That's where most of us talk about non-headfi stuff. Dunno, just a suggestion

Nov 11, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may want to move this to the "non-gear" forum at the bottom of the page. That's where most of us talk about non-headfi stuff. Dunno, just a suggestion

Good idea, thanks

but how do I do that?

Nov 11, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 18
Primary laptop on the right, and secondary on the left.

57561856tm4.jpg

Nov 12, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #7 of 18
older black macbook over here... and really tempted with the new versions, luckily I can't afford them
tongue.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #8 of 18
ThinkPad X41 (ultrabase with 320gb hard drive) and Echo Indigo IO (great 24/96 cardbus sound card that has fine headphone amp built in) for travel & music

ThinkPad T43p as primary machine with 15" 1600x1200 screen (am I the only one who prefers this to the widescreen 15.4 deals?)

Powerbook Pismo(retired) and a 12" iBook G4 for writing. I was loaned a macbook for awhile and I think it's one amazing package of power for the size and price. Multi-boot dual core beauty for a cheap price!

I prefer apple lappys infinitely to windows for audio playback for the native bit-perfect no hassel transport ability (especially powerful with itunes, or simple and clean with cog) and then you have Max which is very valuble for ripping and or converting between formats.

The only reason I switch to thinkpad is because the ultrabase or ultrabay way of carrying a second hard drive is preferred to those inelegant external drives. Having your music on a high capacity second drive is convinient and easy to upgrade hard drives (500gb is going to replace the 320 soon)

Now you don't have to worry about plugging in usb cables and whatnot and you have an all in one machine with no wires except your headphone cable connecting to the echo audio card
tongue_smile.gif

For iems and efficient cans I greatly prefer the high rez echo card to any usb dacamp deal (yes even my beloved pico).

Besides that giant blurb about mobile computing audio, thinkpads have great keyboards (don't underestimate this. Their keyboards are for real work) and yea you can run osx on them (barely) Almost all of them come with the nifty thinklight(also more useful than you can imagine at first) and the fingerprint reader(finger slide, not the less secure finger stamp type) is just smart, even if all it does is save you a few moments of typing awkward passwords. Macbooks the choice overall because since you can run windows on them there's no excuse not to get one unless you think they are "fruity." All in all, it's a tossup between macbook or thinkpad
smile.gif
or both
atsmile.gif

[size=xx-small]
btw if you get yourself a "lenovo" thinkpad (which I'm sure you will get unless you get a macbook or mbp!) go on ebay and buy a couple of "ibm thinkpad" stickers and put them over the lenovo
mad.gif
kthx.[/size]

Nov 12, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #9 of 18
thinkpad x200 with ESW10JPN and ESW9. My Pico is still in customs in the UK for some reason, so am waiting for that!

esw10jpn8.jpg

esw10jpn9.jpg

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #11 of 18
Good stuff starscream!

Nov 12, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #12 of 18
MacBook Pro 15 with a Lacie 320 ex hard drive connected via airport
extreme and using an APPLE TV to send music,photos and movies to
the hi-fi.

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #13 of 18
in the process of converting to the following:

ALAC on WD Passport 400GB -> MacBook -> Airport Express -> Toslink -> DLIII

Dec 26, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #14 of 18
Honestly, I'm a bit surprised that this thread hasn't gotten very far. I agree that not many of the hardcore head-fi'ers are going to approve of a thread dedicated to something as multi-faceted as a laptop (no offense intended; I just happen to be in a whimsical mood).

Either way, Asus X58SE (or something... the sticker with the model peeled off ages ago) for home use, and a newly purchased 1215B (AMD E-450) for when I'm up and about. I'm getting a Fiio USB DAC as soon as I can put together enough cash.

... That last part was to appease any head-fi'er that might happen to come across this thread :wink:

Apr 1, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
Primary laptop on the right, and secondary on the left.

57561856tm4.jpg

Um, wow. Took me a while to spot the differences. How do they fare against one another in terms of performance and SQ? "Performance" referring to use as a PC, of course. 

P.S.
I think this thread has turned into a "Laptop-as-music-source-Fi" sort of thing, as opposed to the original intentions of the OP. Interesting how things work out on Head-Fi; everyone somehow manages to throw audio into the mix regardless of how the thread was originally intended to turn out :))

But I've yet to see an audio-related post in the "Shaving, gents" thread :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back