LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING
Jul 31, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #181 of 1,036
If I recall correctly they are 6U5C.  Russian Military tubes, decent sound and durable, but you'll see an uptick with my recommendations or whatever Rob brings you.  I prefer American NOS.

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #182 of 1,036
Not sure as it's home and I am in the field. Gear he says it's a 6c5s
Russion

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #183 of 1,036
If I recall correctly they are 6U5C.  Russian Military tubes, decent sound and durable, but you'll see an uptick with my recommendations or whatever Rob brings you.  I prefer American NOS.

Yeah thought I read that on Al's tube. If 6u5c, then it is 6x5. Which nos 6x5 do you likeA

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #184 of 1,036
I'm really partial to the Slyvanias and staggered plate Tung-Sol (metal base if you can find 'em).   They're some nice tubes!

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #185 of 1,036
Lastly as much as I want to roll. The way it is voiced is just other worldly as is.
For now it's headphones as my audio room is being renovated it's completely gutted
And will be about 9 feet high by 19 feet wide and about 35 feet deep
It will be a dedicated two channel as well as a separate 7.1 surround with a 65 plasma 3d magnolia series Panasonic
Anyway it's a couple off this out for now.
But when it's done my hope is the lampi will be there.
Two channel speakers are my IRS V.
THE rest is infinity something's from a few years ago with two sets of infinity dual 12 inch sub woofers. It's enough to shake your entire body

Jul 31, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #186 of 1,036
I'm really partial to the Slyvanias and staggered plate Tung-Sol (metal base if you can find 'em).   They're some nice tubes!

Which sylvanias? Also what have you tried so I don't bother

Jul 31, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #187 of 1,036
Lastly as much as I want to roll. The way it is voiced is just other worldly as is.
For now it's headphones as my audio room is being renovated it's completely gutted
And will be about 9 feet high by 19 feet wide and about 35 feet deep
It will be a dedicated two channel as well as a separate 7.1 surround with a 65 plasma 3d magnolia series Panasonic
Anyway it's a couple off this out for now.
But when it's done my hope is the lampi will be there.
Two channel speakers are my IRS V.
THE rest is infinity something's from a few years ago with two sets of infinity dual 12 inch sub woofers. It's enough to shake your entire body

You're going to have to roll a few for me Al. Especially these tungsram 6x5g

Jul 31, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #188 of 1,036
Hahha. Yes that too. Np though I will intend to try
Al

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #191 of 1,036
I have One more question regarding the Head DAC:

I don't understand what is the meaning of the different "PCB level" that are proposed on the HeadDAC Lampizator's order form ?

- Level 4 PCB (standard for this DAC) 
- Level 5 PCB (Add 500 Euro) 
- Level 6 PCB (16/44/R2R) (add 600 Euro) 
- Level 6 Hi-Rez PCB (24/192/R2R) (add 1000 Euro) 
- Level 7 PCB (add 800 Euro) 

Does this mean that they includes the circuits of the corresponding "DAC Only" level ?

I wish, but... Unfortunately it is quite unlikely that this is the case because this will mean for exemple that you can have a level7 DAC + headphone Amp for 4800 Euros, which is less than the price of a DAC only Level 7 ! ??

So.... what is the difference between the standard HeadDAC and for exemple the version  with Level 7 PCB ?  
confused.gif

Aug 14, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #192 of 1,036
  I have One more question regarding the Head DAC:

I don't understand what is the meaning of the different "PCB level" that are proposed on the HeadDAC Lampizator's order form ?

- Level 4 PCB (standard for this DAC) 
- Level 5 PCB (Add 500 Euro) 
- Level 6 PCB (16/44/R2R) (add 600 Euro) 
- Level 6 Hi-Rez PCB (24/192/R2R) (add 1000 Euro) 
- Level 7 PCB (add 800 Euro) 

Does this mean that they includes the circuits of the corresponding "DAC Only" level ?

I wish, but... Unfortunately it is quite unlikely that this is the case because this will mean for exemple that you can have a level7 DAC + headphone Amp for 4800 Euros, which is less than the price of a DAC only Level 7 ! ??

So.... what is the difference between the standard HeadDAC and for exemple the version  with Level 7 PCB ?  
confused.gif

First post here - just joined when I found this thread 
blink.gif

So I can't attest to the differences between the forthcoming HeadDAC/L7 PCB and Level 7 DAC, but I am a long-time owner of the L4 Lampi DAC, and currently have a Lampi L7 DSD DAC at home on demo.

One thing that strikes me is that the Amber DAC replaces the L3 entry-level unit but at lower cost.  Could be that the Amber has a PCB circuit, whereas all other Lampis are point-to-point wired, to order, with many customisation options.  Much more costly to produce overall.  So basically Lucasz can produce the Ambers relatively quickly at much lower cost.  On his site he reckons that the Amber gets very close to the L3 DAC in performance.  Time and customer reviews will tell but the guy does seem to have really good ears.

So in summary I guess that the "PCB" bit is what makes the difference to the cost.  Who knows what the difference is in terms of performance?  What I can say that the L7 DAC, especially with DSD material is pretty decent
biggrin.gif

Robert

Aug 14, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #193 of 1,036
What other dacs to you have as comparison
Al

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #194 of 1,036
Originally Posted by rjs500 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What I can say that the L7 DAC, especially with DSD material is pretty decent
biggrin.gif

Robert

Lukasz Fikus at Lampizator clearly agrees.  In this recent post on the Lampizator Facebook page, he is saying that the future of high end audio is DSD music downloads and devices.

From many, many experiments that we do now developing our DSD lineup, I can see that probably the future of High End is - decline of CD spinning transports and huge increase of computer based systems where EVERYTHING will be played as DSD via DSD DACs. Even PCM files, simple CD rips will be played via DSD. I really don’t know why, everything benefits from conversion to DSD. That's where I see high end 2 years from now.

https://www.facebook.com/FikusLampi/posts/1526290594269540#

Aug 15, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #195 of 1,036

Lukasz Fikus at Lampizator clearly agrees.  In this recent post on the Lampizator Facebook page, he is saying that the future of high end audio is DSD music downloads and devices.

YES this  PCM to DSD on the fly conversion seems to be the next big move in digital playback ! 
eek.gif

And some new DAC like the New $10.000 ALLNIC tube D-5000 DAC, the Mytek Manhattan, the $20.000 NAGRA HD DAC, the PS Audio DirectStream DAC... offer Hardware PCM -> DSD conversion.

--> Will Lampizator also offer Hardware PCM -> DSD conversion ?
--> Is this  PCM->DSD conversion a serious permanent move or just a temporary marketing trend ??  

... Time will tell 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back