Lampizator Amber III Impressions
Feb 18, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #91 of 120
Slightly left-of-topic, but I'd be keen to hear how you get on with this. I am also trying to move from Roon Server -> Laptop (Roon endpoint) -> USB -> DAC to a streamer solution. In practice, I have a long USB cable and as you, if my laptop gets busy, sound can get interrupted. I managed to get a Pro-ject stream box s2 ultra via eBay for a good price so if it is not satisfactory, it can go. I will also compare it to USBridge Signature w/ LPS. Internet says Pro-ject > USBridge FWIW.

I am still curious about the SOtM device because it has a high-quality clock in it. IMO the quality clock at source + 'decrapifying' at source (instead of an interim device) seems ideal to me.

Just to keep the thread LA3 related; I happened to get the dealer loaner Amber3 as a new unit and it seems to have had a good 2w burn-in period. It does seem to like to be continuously on and warm, as others have mentioned.
I'll be in touch. It's currently at the post office waiting for me to pick up. I almost purchased the Pro-ject Stream Box S2, but the SOtM Ultra Neo came up on the used market here for cheaper than a new S2. I also have the Sbooster LPS for it.

I agree with you, that if you believe an external clock makes a difference, it's best to have it included with the source. Yet another piece of equipment and yet another power source (and potential for noise from that power source), could well negate the upside of having that clock in the first place.

Mar 6, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #92 of 120
I have just had an Amber 3 loaner/ evaluation unit for ~1 month. Such fun! It was a new unit arrived directly from Poland. It has now gone to the next lucky UK user giving it a go. I really liked the Amber 3 and it helped change the basis for me of what to expect from a high-quality DAC.

The unit itself was very polished looking/ feeling. There are more than ample inputs, options, etc for my needs. It supports all kinds of audio formats, rates, etc. The sound was excellent; spacious, resolving, and smooth. Sound-wise I won't add much more beyond what other more eloquent people have said. I enjoyed it. Give one a go, you might too. While not inexpensive, I think it is good value for money to get into a pretty high-end sounding DAC.

The unit did arrive with an issue with the USB module, but the UK distributor collected it (and brought the Ideon DAC & big reclocker to enjoy), working with Lampi in Poland, fixed it and got it back to me within 24h. I think they offered very solid customer service, both in with Lampizator directly in Poland and the UK distributor.

The UK distributor for LampizatOr (and other things) is absolutely excellent. He is really a pleasure to work with and I can heartily recommend him. He brought the Amber with; a number of cables (USB, interconnect, power), a USB reclocker, and some power conditioners - all to give a go. Wow. Having had such a fulsome in-home audition experience, I hope to do so all the time. FWIW - during this excursion, there was one cable brand that I came across and really enjoyed; Luna Cables.

Caveats; Just so it is said, of course, I say all of these things about various companies and brands with inducement to do so. I think these brands/ companies are all worth investigating to see how they work with you/ your setups. YMMV, etc.

And finally, enjoying this playful bit as I finish;

Jul 31, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #93 of 120
*Sorry to bring up an old question if it has been answered in an earlier response.

I have been using the Amber 3 for a few months and love it. I am hoping to add a USB stream to my chain and was eyeing the Allo USBridge Signature Player. Will the USB implementation work? Has anyone used the Allo + Amber 3 combo? My only worry was that I needed drivers to properly implement my Amber 3 and unsure if Allo can handle that. Thanks!

Jul 31, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #94 of 120
*Sorry to bring up an old question if it has been answered in an earlier response.

I have been using the Amber 3 for a few months and love it. I am hoping to add a USB stream to my chain and was eyeing the Allo USBridge Signature Player. Will the USB implementation work? Has anyone used the Allo + Amber 3 combo? My only worry was that I needed drivers to properly implement my Amber 3 and unsure if Allo can handle that. Thanks!
That sounds like a question better directed at the company that makes the Allo. @Gopher might know,but Id ask Allo first.

Sep 25, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #95 of 120

I had one running in front of my Amber 3 and it worked perfectly. Generally speaking the only driver requirements are running a windows OS into the Amber. The Allo products use rPi linux variants and drivers are generally a non-issue. Are you running the older Amber 3 with Amanero USB or the new JL Audio? There are occasional firmware updates on the USB receiver side. Probably only consequential if you want to run DSD512.

Sep 25, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #96 of 120
I had one running in front of my Amber 3 and it worked perfectly. Generally speaking the only driver requirements are running a windows OS into the Amber. The Allo products use rPi linux variants and drivers are generally a non-issue. Are you running the older Amber 3 with Amanero USB or the new JL Audio? There are occasional firmware updates on the USB receiver side. Probably only consequential if you want to run DSD512.

BTW, the USBridge Signature is great. Make sure you get the Shanti LPS to go with it. I upgraded to a Sonore OpticalRendu but theres not a huge difference. I am a big fan of the Allo products if you are ok with flashing the microSD cards via a pc/mac if need be.

Sep 25, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #97 of 120

You should have no issue using that Allo. Although I'm not familiar with the Allo, I see it is linux based and it should link up the USB with no issue or need for external drivers.

Sep 25, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #98 of 120
I was up and running with my Linux based SOtM Neo Roon endpoint. Literally up and running in less than a minute.

Also was up and running pretty quickly on Windows. Windows detected the TRP and installed the JL Audio drivers. RIP Amanero :)

@Gopher that new 53 engine is something else. Congrats to all the folks at Lampizator for taking things up a notch yet again.

Sep 26, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #100 of 120
That's a pretty good price considering recent price hikes. The Amber 3 base price has gone from $2950 to $3400 and now to $3850. The euro has gotten a bit (10% ish) stronger vs USD but also seems like they think they can get more $$ for it. The only question is how the new JL Audio USB card compares to the older & well-known Amanero card on this unit for sale. I got the my Amber 3 with JL Audio right after it got added (and luckily just before the 1st price bump) and it sounds great - better than the SPDIF. Which on prior DAC's was not my experience.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #103 of 120
This impressions thread has gone dark. I would like to know if current Amber 3 owners are happy with their DAC. Does Lampizator estimate tube on Dac? Doesn't the lack of venation dramatically shorten tube life? Several people have mentioned that it sounds better when you left on indefinitely, this is not practical with the tube amplifier. Isn’t there a standby switch that allows the digital suction to stay warm and stable while the tubes are off but the units turned on? Any experiences on this would be helpful

Apr 10, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #104 of 120
Don't worry about the tubes - it's a DAC - not an amp. The tubes are put under hardly any strain as they are just part of an output buffer.

My friend had the TRP and the Amber III side by side before he sold me the TRP. He said things were closer than they should have been...

Apr 10, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #105 of 120
I keep my Amber III on almost 24x7. As mentioned, the tubes are not driven hard and the stock tubes are very cheap to replace. That said, I have rolled a Sylvania 6X5GT rectifier and a much more valuable early Valvo Hamburg ECC82 output tube. So now of course I think about turning it off more often. Haven’t bothered rolling the JJ ECC99 and unclear if there is actually any worthy replacement there ...

Still love the DAC for its big vivid sound but I don’t have a lot to compare it in the same price range. Have been thinking about getting a Holo May to compare it to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back