Lampizator Amber III Impressions
post-15473813
Post #91 of 92

leftside

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Slightly left-of-topic, but I'd be keen to hear how you get on with this. I am also trying to move from Roon Server -> Laptop (Roon endpoint) -> USB -> DAC to a streamer solution. In practice, I have a long USB cable and as you, if my laptop gets busy, sound can get interrupted. I managed to get a Pro-ject stream box s2 ultra via eBay for a good price so if it is not satisfactory, it can go. I will also compare it to USBridge Signature w/ LPS. Internet says Pro-ject > USBridge FWIW.

I am still curious about the SOtM device because it has a high-quality clock in it. IMO the quality clock at source + 'decrapifying' at source (instead of an interim device) seems ideal to me.

Just to keep the thread LA3 related; I happened to get the dealer loaner Amber3 as a new unit and it seems to have had a good 2w burn-in period. It does seem to like to be continuously on and warm, as others have mentioned.
I'll be in touch. It's currently at the post office waiting for me to pick up. I almost purchased the Pro-ject Stream Box S2, but the SOtM Ultra Neo came up on the used market here for cheaper than a new S2. I also have the Sbooster LPS for it.

I agree with you, that if you believe an external clock makes a difference, it's best to have it included with the source. Yet another piece of equipment and yet another power source (and potential for noise from that power source), could well negate the upside of having that clock in the first place.

Reactions: chrisdrop
post-15501068
Post #92 of 92

chrisdrop

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I have just had an Amber 3 loaner/ evaluation unit for ~1 month. Such fun! It was a new unit arrived directly from Poland. It has now gone to the next lucky UK user giving it a go. I really liked the Amber 3 and it helped change the basis for me of what to expect from a high-quality DAC.

The unit itself was very polished looking/ feeling. There are more than ample inputs, options, etc for my needs. It supports all kinds of audio formats, rates, etc. The sound was excellent; spacious, resolving, and smooth. Sound-wise I won't add much more beyond what other more eloquent people have said. I enjoyed it. Give one a go, you might too. While not inexpensive, I think it is good value for money to get into a pretty high-end sounding DAC.

The unit did arrive with an issue with the USB module, but the UK distributor collected it (and brought the Ideon DAC & big reclocker to enjoy), working with Lampi in Poland, fixed it and got it back to me within 24h. I think they offered very solid customer service, both in with Lampizator directly in Poland and the UK distributor.

The UK distributor for LampizatOr (and other things) is absolutely excellent. He is really a pleasure to work with and I can heartily recommend him. He brought the Amber with; a number of cables (USB, interconnect, power), a USB reclocker, and some power conditioners - all to give a go. Wow. Having had such a fulsome in-home audition experience, I hope to do so all the time. FWIW - during this excursion, there was one cable brand that I came across and really enjoyed; Luna Cables.

Caveats; Just so it is said, of course, I say all of these things about various companies and brands with inducement to do so. I think these brands/ companies are all worth investigating to see how they work with you/ your setups. YMMV, etc.

And finally, enjoying this playful bit as I finish;

Reactions: Zachik

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)