Lambda Pros - Have I Arrived?
Apr 1, 2006 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

erikzen

06 National Meet Co-Coordinator
100% THD and S/N = 0
I'm very excited because a fellow Head-Fier just sold me his Stax Lambda rig. It consists of the Lambda Pros with SRM-1/MKII amp. The setup is like new! I actually have been borrowing the rig for the last two weeks and decided this is the headphone for me. He graciously offered to sell his rig to me, so I wrote him a check tonight.

It's been a fairly long journey and I've gone through quite a few headphones, but this is my first true top flight purchase (although I'm still a ways away from many of you). I started at Head-Fi just looking for a good set of portable headphones. Little did I know what lay in store for me. I've been through so many phones and amps, and more than a couple of sources.

The funny thing is, is that I never really felt like I had the right headphones or the right rig. That is until now. I suppose I started out modestly and kept to a strict budget and that's probably why I never really felt fulfilled. I always felt that each headphone lacked something. When I wanted detail I ended up with a lack of bass. When I wanted soundstage I seemed to lose dynamics. When I wanted slam I lost imaging. Everything seemed to be a tradeoff.

With this set of phones, everything is different. While I can pick out some shortcomings (is it possible for a phone to be too fast?) the overall sonic picture has everything I need - detail, speed, liquid smoothness, dynamic range, some semblance of soundstage - I'm very satisfied with this setup.

Now of course the question is how long will that last? How long will it be before I start looking to change amps, or worse, headphones! When will I finally decide I need to go tubes to make these babies really sing? When do I finally break down and buy a source worthy of these detail monsters?

Perhaps I have finally found my audio nirvana. When I bought my first pair of PX200 I had no idea I would end up here. I didn't know it could be this good. Something tells me I am not quite done though, but for now I'm going to pull onto the rest area of the sonic highway and enjoy the scenic view.

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #2 of 15
Wow. Congratulations. Yes, this is a special rig to retire to. Just today I was thinking that this is a rig worth pursuing.

Congrats man!!! Even if you're not done, this is a very special place. Its musical experience is a unique and fulfilling one.

I call first dibs if you ever decide to sell (tho I dunno whatfore... Maybe an O2 or HE90/60 rig. But that's "different" rather than "better", well okay, maybe the others are "better" but you wouldn't be a fool for preferring the Lambda.)

Best,

-Jason

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #3 of 15
you know how fickle i am. it's a testament to this rig that it's the only one currently in my house that's been here since last year. it's that good. and it will be here for a long time to come too! congrats!

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #4 of 15
Big congrats on your new toys. I love the Lambdas and I'm sure mine will keep me happy for many, many years to come. Hell, I kept my 580's for the best part of a decade and I didn't even like them. These will probably last me through to the 'other side'
icon10.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Congrats man!!! Even if you're not done, this is a very special place. Its musical experience is a unique and fulfilling one.

Hey, thanks Jason, and you're at the top of the list should I decide to sell, especially after doing me such a solid on the EW9.

While I may be done for a while in terms of actual headphones, I can see a lot of other upgrades coming my way:

1) Source - my best source right now is the Micro DAC. It sounds great but I'm sure this rig could sound better with a better source. As a matter of fact the amp and headphones sounded great with my ancient Sony CPD650 esDII

2) Cables - Lots of choices to play around with here. Right now I'm using decent DIY type stuff, nothing spectacular, but not garbage either.

3) Power cord - I've got an old computer power cord plugged into the amp right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
you know how fickle i am. it's a testament to this rig that it's the only one currently in my house that's been here since last year. it's that good. and it will be here for a long time to come too! congrats!

Don't think I'm not following your every post (well, actually that would be impossible). Part of my decisions to pull the trigger on this rig was the high praise you've heaped on it.

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 15
Hi Erik,

Congrads on the Lamdas and amp. That amp is pure class A and really is way under appreciated. Leave it on for an hour or so and it really starts to sing. Runs Hot but that is what Class A amps do. I suggest careful adjustment of the Lamda Headband so that the pads do not touch your ears. What I found unusual about the Lamdas is the delicacy but they can rock hard ying/yang. Nicer the source, the better they reveal it.

PS...DO NOT wear them in the bath. No matter what James claims, they are not water proof.

PPS...Smeggy, I got something that you need bad.

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #7 of 15
Dan, you da man! Although my wife would call you an enabler.

I'd better get out of the hot tub very carefully now.

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyandelyse
PPS...Smeggy, I got something that you need bad.

Oh man you're killing me, It may still be a little while because every penny I currently have is going on this damn house purchase and all that entails. Crap this house stuff is expensive, even more than headphones!
eek.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
Oh man you're killing me, It may still be a little while because every penny I currently have is going on this damn house purchase and all that entails. Crap this house stuff is expensive, even more than headphones!
eek.gif

you need it real bad....

Apr 8, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #11 of 15
Thought I'd needlessly bump this thread. Actually, there is a point. I have been tweaking the Lambda rig a bit and things are getting even better.

Tweak 1: Balanced Power Technologies C-12 power cord. This thing is really fat! It added what I'll call stability to the sound. It fixed instruments in place, eliminating something of a smear to the sound.

Tweak 2: Bought a 75 ohm SP/DIF cable and hooked up my ancient CD player to the Micro DAC. It added additional detail retreival and brought the bass a bit more forward. I was listening to Paul McCartney Unplugged (#12235
wink.gif
) and for the first time I really noticed a bit of feedback on "San Francisco Bay Blues". I don't think it's that I never noticed it before, it's just that it was so clear and precise it felt like it was really a live performance and that feedback came through front and center. Previously, it was just a noise in the background. This is not to say that I'm looking to hear noises and not music. It's just a very obvious example that more sound is getting to my brain.

Wait until I get a real source! Then there are interconnects...

Apr 8, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
I don't think it's that I never noticed it before, it's just that it was so clear and precise it felt like it was really a live performance and that feedback came through front and center. Previously, it was just a noise in the background. This is not to say that I'm looking to hear noises and not music. It's just a very obvious example that more sound is getting to my brain.

some of the most important parts of music are what some people would call noise. some people call entire genres of music noise.... but the listener knows what they "nay-sayer" is missing.

so much of the intamacy of music is the mistakes. a good computer can play it perfectly every time... we would not even have to deal with recording room "sound character" that way
wink.gif

btw, enjoy your new system.

edit: changed the word "mucis" to music... i can spell good...

Apr 8, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn

Does this mean that sometime within the next year or so, the HP1000s might be gone?
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
Does this mean that sometime within the next year or so, the HP1000s might be gone?
evil_smiley.gif

Not by choice!
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 9:39 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
Wait until I get a real source! Then there are interconnects...

Tweaks, tweaks, tweaks. You're right, you have arrived...... at the beginning.
evil_smiley.gif
I like these lambda pros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back