LAKERS GET ARTEST!!!
Jul 3, 2009 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Snacks

500+ Head-Fier
But are going to be losing Ariza.

Is this an improvement or a detractor?

Ariza was a difference maker, but Artest is no slouch.

I smell a Lakers repeat baby!!!

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #2 of 17
If the Lakers can resign Odom... yet another dark day in Beantown (literally too, the weather here has been terrible)

Not surprisingly, the Lakers are looking to capitalize now on Kobe's window of opportunity, even if it means moving out someone as young and talented as Ariza. So unfortunately for the rest of us, that means the next 2-3 years will be met with a frustratingly good Lakers team. Great move for LA to cash in on Kobe's last couple years of (nearly) unrivaled dominance, versus developing one very good, but not outstanding youngster.

On the other hand, with the latest trades, the Cavs, Magic and Spurs are also going to be lethal. If the Celts can get 'Sheed and, more importantly, if KG fully recovers, they'll be an upper echelon contender as well. Looks like a fun season
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 17
Well it is definitely a play now, pay later sort of deal. In giving up Ariza, they might have just given away a younger Arest, albeit without the baggage. This "swap" will likely make them better for a while (assuming Artest stays healthy and out of jail), but unless they can covert it into more titles, they run the risk of looking back 10 years from now and wondering why they let Ariza go.

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 17
i actually think ariza fit better, but artest is IMO a better player for now.

its all good, the lakers now have more character!

keep odom or no repeat lol

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by hembergler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the Celts can get 'Sheed and, more importantly, if KG fully recovers

That's exactly why they made the move, which was a good one imo.

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 17
On behalf of the Detroit contingent of Head-Fi, I wish you and all Laker's fans the best of luck with Artest...IMHO you'll eventually need it.

How soon people forget...

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it is definitely a play now, pay later sort of deal. In giving up Ariza, they might have just given away a younger Arest, albeit without the baggage. This "swap" will likely make them better for a while (assuming Artest stays healthy and out of jail), but unless they can covert it into more titles, they run the risk of looking back 10 years from now and wondering why they let Ariza go.

Exactly. This is a short term development for the team. I personally hate the trade. I'm a big fan of Ariza, and I think he's going to keep improving for some time. Even though Artest is a little better right now, who knows if he fits into the Lakers as well as Ariza did. The Lakers had a good thing with him, and I don't like this. Plus, Artest is a total meathead, and I don't know if I like him on my team. Either way, I can't wait to see how the Lakers will match up against the other elite teams next season.

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 17
I smell a repeat. Artest is a better defender and is more physical. This should provide a relief for Kobe on the defense which means he has more offensive damage to inflict.

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #10 of 17
Woah, that piece is a serious upgrade, in terms of "toughness" on D and another definate go-to on O ; Yet the two standing questions will be how well his game intergrates in terms of team chemistry(coachable), as well as what else the team must give up in terms of ownerships ability to cover the league luxury tax. They will also need to move either Bynum and or Odem, unless Artest sacrificed his pay day in the move.

I liked Ariza potential last year, and called for his aqusition on the Celtics then when he was being somewhat shopped around. The young man has a great upside begining to be seen in the league, on a team where his role and talents can be maximised. Tough decision to let him walk. Though I agree Artest is an upgrade, with alot of "conditions" to that statement, previously mentioned in the thread!

Celtics, are looking to let Baby walk for his 4mil yr. payday, and 'Sheed would be a serious upgrade, albeit with a similar set of conditions, including age; But both teams are looking at their "window of opportunity", with both teams moves, IMO...

Excieting stuff for the fans!

Jul 3, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #12 of 17
I think artest is a better player than ariza at this moment right now and is a step forward for the lakers right now. But ariza is still young and has potential to grow to be a much better player than he is now.

Jul 3, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On behalf of the Detroit contingent of Head-Fi, I wish you and all Laker's fans the best of luck with Artest...IMHO you'll eventually need it.

I thought the lesson there was that Detroit fans are idiots.
evil_smiley.gif

Biggie.

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by hembergler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the Lakers can resign Odom... yet another dark day in Beantown (literally too, the weather here has been terrible)

Not surprisingly, the Lakers are looking to capitalize now on Kobe's window of opportunity, even if it means moving out someone as young and talented as Ariza. So unfortunately for the rest of us, that means the next 2-3 years will be met with a frustratingly good Lakers team. Great move for LA to cash in on Kobe's last couple years of (nearly) unrivaled dominance, versus developing one very good, but not outstanding youngster.

On the other hand, with the latest trades, the Cavs, Magic and Spurs are also going to be lethal. If the Celts can get 'Sheed and, more importantly, if KG fully recovers, they'll be an upper echelon contender as well. Looks like a fun season
biggrin.gif

Excellent points here. Odom is key.

Another point is Artest can run a team, but he has always wanted to play first fiddle. Not some much want in Houston, because McGrady opted for season ending knee surgery...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hopefully, those bad boy days for Artest are over, but that is wishful (over) thinking...that man is a certified nut; sorry. Health has never been an issue, he's as tough as nails, ala Dennis Rodman, but with other significant attributes.

They let Ariza go because they can't afford to spend what he's worth. He (agent) wants to get paid, and should be paid, but he's young and not willing to sacrifice for the rings. It's a fine line...

However, I don't think that Ariza has a Superstar/Great player upside. He's a game changer for a team that has weapons like Kobe, Odom, Gasol, etc. Is Houston going to be able to capitalize on his skillset?

Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i actually think ariza fit better, but artest is IMO a better player for now.

its all good, the lakers now have more character!

keep odom or no repeat lol

Ditto; however, Artest is a nut! Hopefully some Zin will do him some good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Uh, huh! Detroit could use some help, what are they doing... First trade Chauncey for a end of the road AI, well that should be first and last. Ben Wallace was never replaced. Sheed, gone...

Maybe the Government should bail them out too?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfourc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly. This is a short term development for the team. I personally hate the trade. I'm a big fan of Ariza, and I think he's going to keep improving for some time. Even though Artest is a little better right now, who knows if he fits into the Lakers as well as Ariza did. The Lakers had a good thing with him, and I don't like this. Plus, Artest is a total meathead, and I don't know if I like him on my team. Either way, I can't wait to see how the Lakers will match up against the other elite teams next season.

In a way I agree, but Artest could be a blessing or a curse, we'll have to wait and see. On paper it looks good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woah, that piece is a serious upgrade, in terms of "toughness" on D and another definate go-to on O ; Yet the two standing questions will be how well his game intergrates in terms of team chemistry(coachable), as well as what else the team must give up in terms of ownerships ability to cover the league luxury tax. They will also need to move either Bynum and or Odem, unless Artest sacrificed his pay day in the move.

I liked Ariza potential last year, and called for his aqusition on the Celtics then when he was being somewhat shopped around. The young man has a great upside begining to be seen in the league, on a team where his role and talents can be maximised. Tough decision to let him walk. Though I agree Artest is an upgrade, with alot of "conditions" to that statement, previously mentioned in the thread!

Celtics, are looking to let Baby walk for his 4mil yr. payday, and 'Sheed would be a serious upgrade, albeit with a similar set of conditions, including age; But both teams are looking at their "window of opportunity", with both teams moves, IMO...

Excieting stuff for the fans!

Artest sacrificed his pay, I believe it was stated that he's willing to accept the max mid-year pay $5.585 mil or something like that 3yrs with 2-3year option. Houston offered him more and he still showed them the door because Yao Ming's status.

Bynum, sealed his deal in the Playoffs, he was subpar at best. Although, we we know that he's got talent; he had better improve before he starts asking for more mulla. Dwight and players like that or a little worse, expose the type of player that he is/isn't. I'm about fed up with his play, I know that PJ has to be... Sign and trade him, for a 6'11 shooting/posting PF or a shot blocking, good rebounding, free throw shooting C.

Odom should stay and keep playing off the bench. Kobe, Ron, Gasol starting. Ron, w/Odom coming off the bench with Bynum; that's a done deal. We need to see about adding J. Kidd or further developing S. Brown/Farmar.

Exciting year is an understatement.

Don't forget about fantasy... I know that it's early, but if anyone is interested in starting up a league, hit me up on PM. That goes for Football too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back