Lake People G109 / G103 thread
Mar 20, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #706 of 729
FYI, I have an absolutely cherry, little used Lake People G109-A (the "Anniversary" version of the stock 109-S, with better relays and a slightly different faceplate). I'll be selling this wonderful single-ended amp next weekend or so.

I have 7 amps with another one on the way, and these days listen primarily via balanced cable. Something had to give, and it's this amp (the sound of which is lovely in the classic Violectric style).

More to follow...

Mar 21, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #707 of 729
Wow, getting on for the 10th anniversary of the thread!

Having just picked up a G103-S, of course I now learn about the (I think) relatively new MkII. Typical :unamused:
@CTR640 do you know which version you were looking at recently? So obviously the Head-Fi paranoia/OCD kicks in, I would be interested to know the differences/improvements, and hopefully it's relevant here.

Similarly, have there been other earlier revisions? The version I bought has a different front plate to that at the thread start. It looks a little like the MkII in placement of the name and logo. I also think it has different gain settings but don't know for sure.

That out of the way, this thread (or the bits I read!) convinced me to take a punt on Lake People and whatever the version, it won't have become worse :k701smile: I'm particularly intrigued with the comment suggestive of like an O2 but more.

Very much looking forward to the LP G103 arriving and giving at run out, and hopefully it'll be :beerchug: to the thread, not :sob: !!
Hi there! I've got the G103-S, the S stands for Standard with the unbalanced RCA. The G103-P stands for Professional with the balanced XLR.
The G103-S is damn good and a very powerfull amp for Beyerdynamics, especially Amiron Home. I haven't gotten the chance to try out my DT880 600ohm tho and hopefully I will when I'm finished organizing my desk. I had the Fiio K5 Pro but it's a pretty analytical dac/amp which can makes some Beyerdynamics sibilant. I had the DT880 250ohm in the past to use with my K5 Pro but I seriously had to keep using EQ to tame the sibilance, the annoying and painful "ssss", even Amiron Home got the painful sibilance. So when I got the LP, sibilance is no longer an issue. And another nice thing that comes to my surprise, unlike with K5 Pro, volume can get cranked without pain in the ears. Of course not at insane level but with K5P on the same level of volume, not really enjoyable.

However, in my desk its current state, I haven't been really able to use the G103 as I got the Klipsch Heritage amp and cables have to be reorganized (again) and it's a damn mess which is hidden for now. But one thing is for certain: analytical dac/amps are not enjoyful and the G103 not being analytical, it's very nice!

Jun 28, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #709 of 729
Picked up a Lake People G109-A on the weekend.
Jumpers set to factory default driving HD800S.
Looking forward to a couple months of listening before reporting back :)

Jun 28, 2022 at 5:33 AM Post #710 of 729
The ideal pre-gain setting on any headphones you use will be when the potentiometer set to 11-12 o' clock will generate a perceived and medium / high (not deafening) volume. I with the V200 and HD650 I adjusted to +6dB (Sony 1AM2 to -6dB). If your jumpers are set with the potentiometer criterion between 11 or 12, the perceived sound will have a very good body.

Jun 28, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #712 of 729
I can't find the G109A manual on the net, but I suggest you try the setting with the jumper at + 4dB or + 6dB. Your headphone may respond better.

Jun 28, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #713 of 729
I can't find the G109A manual on the net, but I suggest you try the setting with the jumper at + 4dB or + 6dB. Your headphone may respond better.
Here's the original manual. It's for U.S., but should help anyway.

Attachments

• Lake People G109 Manual.pdf
    792.4 KB · Views: 0
Jul 1, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #714 of 729
Just received my LP G103-S MKII, incredible clean and transparent sound, since my USB-powered Motu M4 phone amp is too weak, I initially bought the LP to drive a pair of 990 Pro 250.

But I eventually returned my 990 I didn't like them they have been out there since 2004 and clearly you can tell they're old and not adapted to produce thumping electronic/dance floor music. I took the 900 Pro X instead with the new STELLAR.45 driver and it's a world of difference: fast, clean, incredible bass with no distortion when pushed at high levels, unlike the 990 Pro (which for me is the most important criteria in making this genre). I can push this beast and it doesn't distort with the 900. The soundstage is great to mix, slightly less (I would say 80/85%) than the 990/880s soundstage but actually I prefer to mix with a bit less, I don't need all that width. Sounds very detailed with good instrument separation. Not as analytical as the 990/800/650, which actually is a plus for my level of mixing (just personal taste here).

The Lake People is really bringing the 900 to life, if you only use the Motu M4 amp (again, it's a nice interface but the only thing I don't like is the headphone amp which, as you expect in this price category, sounds compressed because of the USB-power low voltage), it's too limited and dull. The LP brings a very enjoyable overall dynamics to it.

I can only recommend this amp especially for the price I think it's one of the best in this category. Also IMO it looks better and more stable and sturdy than the JDS Atom Lab (I haven't tested the Atom latest version though, it probably sounds as good), yes it's more expensive and bigger, also you have to open it and unscrew the box to switch the amp power, but that's something that you only do once in my case and it took me 3 minutes - worth it. Overall the form factor is on the LP side, I hate small plastic toys on my desk. The LP looks like it could last 30 years, and it doesn't heat at all. Also, it has two headphones outputs instead of one. It's silent as hell, no hiss.

Maybe one day I'll break the bank and buy the upcoming RME ADI-2/4 as a reference ADC/amp + Fireface UCX II or UFX III interface + high-end headphones too, but until then, this setup for the price is quite amazing IMO.

Jan 23, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #716 of 729
I just read several rave reviews/comments about the Sabaj, which apparently punches way above its price point.

In switching to the G109 (which I owned for years), you will definitely lose some functional niceties the Sabaj has but the Lake People does not: preamp out & remote control. The G109-S has 3 gain levels, but these can only be switched by hand inside the case, so obviously not as convenient as the Sabaj. The G109-S has an internal jumper that can be used to "lift" the ground in the case of a ground loop or other electrical interaction; the Sabaj does not.

I've not heard the Sabaj, but user comments describe it as a generally punchy, neutral sound.

You would likely hear distinct sound differences between the Sabaj and the G109-S:
  • More power from the G109. There is rated power; and there is apparent power. The G109's apparent power was plenty good for every headphone I tried with it, including my power hog planar, ZMF Ori. I never got over the midpoint on the volume pot with any headphone
  • I heard the G109 as having classic Violectric/Lake People "house sound," including strong (not elevated, just powerful) bass, a big expressive midrange, and treble that errs on the side of musicality.
  • Overall the tone is slightly warm, very listenable, not peaky/shrieky as some amps are. I loved the sound of this thing
  • I also have the far larger, more powerful, and expensive Violectric V281 w/remote controlled 128-stepped potentiometer. IMHO the G109 gave me well more than >90% of what the V281 can do, which is really saying something
I only sold my G109 because I no longer do much single-ended listening; I have multiple amps with 4-pin XLR balanced outputs, matching the 3 balanced cables I use. Regardless, I have very pleasant memories of the G109.

Your own listening preferences will matter much more here than anything I can contribute. If you tend to like components that have slight warmth and a resonant/musical sound, you'd love the G109. But if you tend to prefer components voiced to be analytical, "neutral," or ruthlessly revealing, then the G109s sound might not please you.

Jan 23, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #717 of 729
FYI, I have an absolutely cherry, little used Lake People G109-A (the "Anniversary" version of the stock 109-S, with better relays and a slightly different faceplate). I'll be selling this wonderful single-ended amp next weekend or so.

I have 7 amps with another one on the way, and these days listen primarily via balanced cable. Something had to give, and it's this amp (the sound of which is lovely in the classic Violectric style).

More to follow...

Stack 'em deep and sell 'em cheap!

The ideal pre-gain setting on any headphones you use will be when the potentiometer set to 11-12 o' clock will generate a perceived and medium / high (not deafening) volume. I with the V200 and HD650 I adjusted to +6dB (Sony 1AM2 to -6dB). If your jumpers are set with the potentiometer criterion between 11 or 12, the perceived sound will have a very good body.

Me and homeboy @Pharmaboy and other homies run our V280/281s at -12 dB and Sennheiser 600/800 gets scary loud fast. Powah to the (Lake) People! :)

Jan 23, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #719 of 729
232C2164-48EC-4E76-A699-C7902BF56913.jpeg

Jan 23, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #720 of 729

Users who are viewing this thread

Back