Lake People G109 / G103 thread
Mar 5, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #571 of 729
The g109-s retail price in Italy is 399 euros,i'm thinking To get me one for my DT1990
smily_headphones1.gif

Correct that's the price.. and sadly is too much for me :frowning2:

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #572 of 729
The g109-s retail price in Italy is 399 euros,i'm thinking To get me one for my DT1990
smily_headphones1.gif

That's a very good price, assuming it's a reputable seller & the Lake People warranty is part of the deal.

If you get the G109-S, I think you'll be impressed.

I like mine so much that I'm obsessing over a big Violectric upgrade--to either the V220 or V281. Crazy money, but I'll be they're amazing.

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #574 of 729
Jun 4, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #577 of 729
"Inky blackness" is very well-put. I'm always surprised how the my G109-A manages to sound good without having a particular sound signature of its own (if it has one, it's very subtle). I have other amps, several extremely good in their own ways...but when I need to hear "the truth" of a new headphone, DAC, etc--I turn to the Lake People. It's truthful, revealing yet not in the least aggressive or highlighting particular frequencies.

Right now I'm burning in a new DAC (Audio GD DAC-19) on a separate computer. I'm using the G109-A to monitor its burn-in progress (it already sounds very good). The point is if it sounds good on G109-A, it will probably sound spectacular on the other amps.

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #578 of 729
Can anyone explain this sentence in website description of G105:

G105 is equipped with two headphones outputs with 1/4" jacks which may be optimized for mono signals with a split-switch.

Is this balanced output?

If not, do any other Lake People amps have balanced output? I know several Violectric amps do, but $$$ :beyersmile:

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #579 of 729
I have the rs 02 se amp and want suggestions on dacs to pair with hd 650. Right now i am using an basic one $20 FiiO Taishan D03K. I have read that the rs 02 sounds similar to the g109s.

Is it true that this amp and g109 is able to conway all skills the dac have, so it will sound dull on a lesser dac and really great on a great dac? I can feel its a little thin sounding and dull at sometimes the rs 02, clean and detailed though.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #580 of 729
Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #581 of 729
I have the rs 02 se amp and want suggestions on dacs to pair with hd 650. Right now i am using an basic one $20 FiiO Taishan D03K. I have read that the rs 02 sounds similar to the g109s.

Is it true that this amp and g109 is able to conway all skills the dac have, so it will sound dull on a lesser dac and really great on a great dac? I can feel its a little thin sounding and dull at sometimes the rs 02, clean and detailed though.

I had both the G109-P and now the RS 02 with the Modi Multibit and it's a great combo. I think there is a used Multibit for sale on the forum too.

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #582 of 729
Can anyone explain this sentence in website description of G105:

G105 is equipped with two headphones outputs with 1/4" jacks which may be optimized for mono signals with a split-switch.

Is this balanced output?

If not, do any other Lake People amps have balanced output? I know several Violectric amps do, but $$$ :beyersmile:

I own the G109-A (= G109-S). The G105 is EU only, apparently not sold in the U.S. I tried to download a manual, but was unable to. The manual will probably answer your question.

But just looking the specs for the unit on L.P. website--it's 99% sure this amp is single-ended only, not balanced. For one thing, there is no 4-pin XLR headphone output--the classic "balanced amp" option. For another, the power specs do not distinguish between power output single-ended vs balanced, as all the specs for balanced amps do.

Re "...may be optimized for mono signals with a split-switch," I can't figure that one out. All I can think of is this: if you had an RCA output coming from a mono device (not sure what that would be), it could be connected to the RCA inputs of the G105 using a 1-to-2 splitter (ie, split single RCA input to L + R RCA inputs). That's my best guess, and it's probably wrong.

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #583 of 729

I haven't heard the RS 02, but I have (and really love) the G109-A (almost identical to G109-S, single-ended G109). And I can tell you from personal experience that the G109 will fully convey any added technical qualities of good DACs vs cheap ones.

My 2nd DAC in desktop system (and the first one I heard via headphones through the G109) was an inexpensive but pretty good-sounding DS design, the Peachtree Audio DAC iTx. When I upgraded to the Audio GD NOS 19, I heard great improvements in pretty every measure of sound, courtesy of the G109-A (it showed me everything this new, resistor ladder, non-oversampling DAC could do vs the other DAC).

You apparently have a lot of "upside" to gain from upgrading to any competent DAC. Cost is only one factor (expensive doesn't necessarily = "sounds good"). Cheap DACs usually do sound thin (harmonically thin, so that a violin doesn't sound as rich as it does in real life) and also dull (transients from things like drum kits are sharp, but not subtle or differentiated).

If you get any competent, mid-range DAC that people say good things about in user comments, I'll be you hear a big difference.

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #584 of 729
Jun 29, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #585 of 729
But not balanced in.

It's weird. They've got amps with balance out, but not balanced in, and amps with balanced in, but not balanced out.

Not so weird. Balanced inputs are often there as convenience feature, allowing the amp to be used in balanced systems. Some people have balanced wiring throughout their gear (for example, anyone using an audio interface, patching in instruments or control panels, etc), ahd having those balanced inputs means they can simply connect to the amp using their balanced wiring. However, the headphone output is a different story: not everyone has balanced-capable headphones.

The other thing about balanced outputs is the amp typically has some electronics dedicated to making the balanced output happen (ie, redundant amp channels, phase splitter, etc), so balanced-output amps often cost more than S.E...the designs are different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back