Lake People G109 / G103 thread
Jan 29, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #556 of 729

That makes total sense. The HD600's (which I've never heard) are frequently described as taking quite a bit of power & "scaling up"/changing in sound when they do.

I'm about to find out this stuff for myself. Have my 1st planar on order (ZMF Omni/Ori, arriving soon). And about to buy a used Audio GD SA-31SE, an extremely powerful SE amp (10W at 40 ohms). Getting it not just because of power for the reputedly power-hungry Ori, but even more because people say great things about its sound.

Anyway, I suspect the SA-31SE + Ori will prove what we're talking about here. The Ori will be my 1st headphone that can really "scale up" with increasing power...

so you say the main reason i realized a difference in them is because of headphone scalability. I think i might need higher end headphones to take advantage of the v200 then. It might be out of my league

Jan 29, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #557 of 729

so you say the main reason i realized a difference in them is because of headphone scalability. I think i might need higher end headphones to take advantage of the v200 then. It might be out of my league

I guess that's one way to look at it. But if you already own the V200...IMO you're in its league by default.

If you still own the G103, what this really means is probably that you should consider selling it--because you own its more powerful/capable "older brother," the V200. Anything the G103 can do, V200 probably can do somewhat better.

Note(s) of caution: I don't own the G103 or v200, so I'm conjecturing here. Also, for all I know, you haven't compared your current headphones on either/both amps using music that realy taxes amps & reveals differences. Examples would be extreme bass-containing music like EDM or reggae; large-scale classical pieces, Tchaikovsky's 1812 overature--things of that type.

Jan 29, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #558 of 729

I guess that's one way to look at it. But if you already own the V200...IMO you're in its league by default.

If you still own the G103, what this really means is probably that you should consider selling it--because you own its more powerful/capable "older brother," the V200. Anything the G103 can do, V200 probably can do somewhat better.

Note(s) of caution: I don't own the G103 or v200, so I'm conjecturing here. Also, for all I know, you haven't compared your current headphones on either/both amps using music that realy taxes amps & reveals differences. Examples would be extreme bass-containing music like EDM or reggae; large-scale classical pieces, Tchaikovsky's 1812 overature--things of that type.

actually I did some of the hip hop... and vocals that I usually due.. but what would be some music you would consider Detailed expansive and all of the rest.. that I can use on specifically the HD600's

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #559 of 729
http://www.head-fi.org/t/676095/mrspeakers-alpha-dog-revealed-the-worlds-first-production-3d-printed-headphones/8895#post_12128643

Quote:
  I went from amping the dogs using a G103 (1130 mW) to using a V200 (2700 mW), the sound totally improved, the low end in particular.

From the G103 i was originally a little underwhelmed with the bass impact, not so with the V200.

For comparisons sake your X3ii is putting out only ~200 mW...

As with all things though, there's no substitute for your own impressions / opinion.

Enjoy,
G

Jan 30, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #563 of 729
Honestly, coming from G109A and now with the V281.... The G109A is close to the V281 using the unbalanced outputs, the V281 is still technically more nuanced and superior, but for the price and if you have no intentions of using XLR balanced outs, the G109A is a very hard to beat headphone amp.

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #564 of 729
  Honestly, coming from G109A and now with the V281.... The G109A is close to the V281 using the unbalanced outputs, the V281 is still technically more nuanced and superior, but for the price and if you have no intentions of using XLR balanced outs, the G109A is a very hard to beat headphone amp.

Wow, this is interesting to read. I have the G109-A and totally agree that it's hard to beat. Everything about is so competent & composed. Every headphone I've used with it sounds very solid, better than any of my other HP amps. No favoring of this frequency range or that--just straight-ahead sonic goodness (w/a tiny hint of warmth).

I've been jonesing for a V281 lately because I have a planar coming in 1-2 weeks. It will be the 1st headphone of mine that can really handle lots of power; also can connect balanced. But I didn't expect to read that the G109-A is close to  the V281 in SE mode.

That's quite a tribute to Lake People/Violectric. IMO they design "to the house sound signature," not just to a price point.

Mar 5, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #565 of 729
Hi because i'm considering to buy an amp to replace my O2 (i'm tired to recharge it..) I was considering to buy the G103 s (budget reasons) 
I would use it with my headphones : AKG K 702 - Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 oHm, Sennheiser HD 600
Plus I can easily get it in italy where  I live.
But the big question ,is it good enough? 
2nd I keep reading that It got 2 settings : hi - lo but I really cant see any switch on the amp

Can you help me please?

Mar 5, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #566 of 729
Hi because i'm considering to buy an amp to replace my O2 (i'm tired to recharge it..) I was considering to buy the G103 s (budget reasons) 
I would use it with my headphones [COLOR=222222]: AKG K 702 - Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 oHm, Sennheiser HD 600[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Plus I can easily get it in italy where  I live.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]But the big question ,is it good enough? [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]2nd I keep reading that It got 2 settings : hi - lo but I really cant see any switch on the amp[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]Can you help me please?[/COLOR]

I have the G109S and you have to open it up to select the desired gain. That may sound daunting but it really isn't, in fact it's kind of fun. I've tried all 3 settings several times but decided the default setting to be the best. In other words don't even both with the gain settings.

Mar 5, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #567 of 729
I have the G109S and you have to open it up to select the desired gain. That may sound daunting but it really isn't, in fact it's kind of fun. I've tried all 3 settings several times but decided the default setting to be the best. In other words don't even both with the gain settings.

Oh ok ty I didn't know , so it's a jumper to move.. yeah it's pretty cool I agree, now stands the question bout g103s performance

Mar 5, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #568 of 729
I would use it with my headphones : AKG K 702 - Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 oHm, Sennheiser HD 600
Plus I can easily get it in italy where  I live.
But the big question ,is it good enough? 
2nd I keep reading that It got 2 settings : hi - lo but I really cant see any switch on the amp

Can you help me please?

If you're interested in the G103S, then your budget is ~$290 USD / 275 euros. I haven't heard to the G103S, but I own (and really like) the G109-A, the now discontinued "Anniversary" edition of the G109-S (same power & basic design, but w/soft-start relay and a couple other tweaks that are welcome improvements).

Here's a review that compares both basic models. I always found this particular review educational re the benefit of stepping up from bottom model to next up:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/lake-people-g103p-and-g109p-headphone-amplifiers#RUhd4EV5L6w2Vsv8.97

Back to your real question: is the G103S good enough? (ie, sufficient for you; for your headphones, etc). The only person who could answer that is you, after hearing it. But just based on specs, I think the answer is yes. The G103S almost certainly has the power to drive the headphones you list.

The question then becomes: does it have the power to drive those headphones very well, getting the most out of their particular designs? And the answer to that is probably, "Not quite." Particularly the HD600 is said to be, not exactly difficult to drive--but difficult to pair up w/a given amp for maximum sonic benefits. It's a high resolution headphone and different amps can bring out different things from it.

In my experience, amps are a little bit like cars: you can do well buying the cheapest, lowest power car (especially if it's well made & designed); but taking that car through the Alps might be a humbling experience...usually you benefit from having some "power in reserve." This quality of power in reserve proves extremely useful in headphone amps.

My guess is you would be happier w/the G109-S, based on my experience of the model: it sounds good on every headphone I've ever used with it. Other amps (far more powerful, more features) may sound subtly better in certain ways (particularly soundstaging and note separation), but literally ever sounds bad or even "just average" on the G109. And I'm including a power-hungry, high resolution planar, the ZMF Ori (it sounds terrific on the G109-A).

However, the retail cost of the G109 is probably over your budget (~$450 USD, after 15% winter discount). So my advice is to look for a used G109-S, which is probably easier to find used in Italy than it is here. It would probably be the equivalent of ~$350-$400 USD.

Mar 5, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #569 of 729

If you're interested in the G103S, then your budget is ~$290 USD / 275 euros. I haven't heard to the G103S, but I own (and really like) the G109-A, the now discontinued "Anniversary" edition of the G109-S (same power & basic design, but w/soft-start relay and a couple other tweaks that are welcome improvements).

Here's a review that compares both basic models. I always found this particular review educational re the benefit of stepping up from bottom model to next up:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/lake-people-g103p-and-g109p-headphone-amplifiers#RUhd4EV5L6w2Vsv8.97

Back to your real question: is the G103S good enough? (ie, sufficient for you; for your headphones, etc). The only person who could answer that is you, after hearing it. But just based on specs, I think the answer is yes. The G103S almost certainly has the power to drive the headphones you list.

The question then becomes: does it have the power to drive those headphones very well, getting the most out of their particular designs? And the answer to that is probably, "Not quite." Particularly the HD600 is said to be, not exactly difficult to drive--but difficult to pair up w/a given amp for maximum sonic benefits. It's a high resolution headphone and different amps can bring out different things from it.

In my experience, amps are a little bit like cars: you can do well buying the cheapest, lowest power car (especially if it's well made & designed); but taking that car through the Alps might be a humbling experience...usually you benefit from having some "power in reserve." This quality of power in reserve proves extremely useful in headphone amps.

My guess is you would be happier w/the G109-S, based on my experience of the model: it sounds good on every headphone I've ever used with it. Other amps (far more powerful, more features) may sound subtly better in certain ways (particularly soundstaging and note separation), but literally ever sounds bad or even "just average" on the G109. And I'm including a power-hungry, high resolution planar, the ZMF Ori (it sounds terrific on the G109-A).

However, the retail cost of the G109 is probably over your budget (~$450 USD, after 15% winter discount). So my advice is to look for a used G109-S, which is probably easier to find used in Italy than it is here. It would probably be the equivalent of ~$350-$400 USD.

Wow thanks alot, you exactly got what I needed to know, infact the real question that you wrote in bold, was exactly what i was meaning :) 

Mar 5, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #570 of 729
The g109-s retail price in Italy is 399 euros,i'm thinking To get me one for my DT1990 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back