Lake People G109 / G103 thread
Aug 7, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #376 of 729
  It could be, but at least if some folks say that's totally non acceptable pairing I will know something is wrong - potentially. Sometimes it's not possible to hear everything on your own and at some point you'll need to rely on someones opinion.

No, it only means you need to get out more and try things for yourself. How do you think the first audiophile has gotten his opinions over time? This is a hobby that is highly subjective and prone to personal/suggestion biased. If you let yourself swayed by what other people say you should like or listen too then you will end up burning a big hole in your pocket or worst.

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #377 of 729

No, it only means you need to get out more and try things for yourself. How do you think the first audiophile has gotten his opinions over time? This is a hobby that is highly subjective and prone to personal/suggestion biased. If you let yourself swayed by what other people say you should like or listen too then you will end up burning a big hole in your pocket or worst.

OK, now we are starting talking about egg and chicken dilemma. Fine, but I understand you. So lets quit this forum and let everybody to went to the stores and listen for yourselves :wink: I am out as well.

Aug 7, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #378 of 729
OK, now we are starting talking about egg and chicken dilemma. Fine, but I understand you. So lets quit this forum and let everybody to went to the stores and listen for yourselves :wink: I am out as well.

This is a fun and interesting hobby but one that does involve the advise of others because it's not that easy to hop in your car and drive down to your local headphone audio retailer that carries a terrific line of headphones, amplifiers and DAP's for you to audition. Case in point, I never heard any Schiit gear or Lake People gear but I ended purchasing both entirely based on product reviews, manufacturer's web pages, product specifications and fellow enthusiasts comments on forums such as this. By the way, I am very happy with my purchases and have no intention of parting with them too soon.

Aug 10, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #379 of 729
I agree that it's difficult to find hardware to audition, and that as such reviews on the internet can be a good starting point. But the personal nature of audio may make it hard to find that one sound signature that you like in the sea of opinions.

Sometimes it may work out, sometimes it will not. I got a set of VSonic GR07s based on the info in joker's IEM review thread, and they were precisely what I was looking for. But I also got a FiiO X3 based on the opinions here, and found it a bit disappointing (too dark sound signature for me). Then I got a Vorzuge portable amp, which was a massive let-down, which I definitely wouldn't have expected based on the general opinions.

It's a bit hit and miss (for me, at least), so I agree that you definitely need to audition (or have a good return policy from the store).

Aug 10, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #380 of 729
I used a T90 with a G109 briefly and thought the combination worked fairly well. That said, even as a fan of bright headphones I found the T90 to be a bit too much. While the warmer LP/Violectric sound helped, it won't reduce the T90 to the point of being anywhere near neutral.

Sep 24, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #383 of 729
Does anyone know (have heard) the new anniversary edition G109-A?

I ask because i am considering an upgrade...
I got to compare my G103 to a V200 last week and was amazed at the difference it made to the sound of my Alpha Dogs (much improved).

Would a G103 -> G109 upgrade be a significant improvement?

(I cant really afford a G103 -> V200 upgrade...)

Cheers,
G

Sep 24, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #384 of 729
  Does anyone know (have heard) the new anniversary edition G109-A?

I ask because i am considering an upgrade...
I got to compare my G103 to a V200 last week and was amazed at the difference it made to the sound of my Alpha Dogs (much improved).

Would a G103 -> G109 upgrade be a significant improvement?

(I cant really afford a G103 -> V200 upgrade...)

Cheers,
G

Difference between G103 and G109 may depend on headphones are you gonna use IMHO, so without trying both I think it may be not adequate to judge. For sure G109 has better pot, it's discrete design and have more power, but electrically it's similar. On some forum one guy claim that cannot hear the significant difference to justify the spending, but again it may vary. I've tried Beyers A20 in the store and than G103 in my house. Difference is subtle sonically, so I've bought G103 as it's cheaper.

Sep 24, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #389 of 729
burson soloist, conductor , some class A artisan amp, meier, (i didn t like the mjor, the lyr and the oppo ha1 ) but straight from my speaker amp post overall
(better from the cavallia udio liquid glass but too expansive for my wallet)
but i  still need a small transistor amp (like the lake people) for my working trips

Sep 24, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #390 of 729
Difference between G103 and G109 may depend on headphones are you gonna use IMHO, so without trying both I think it may be not adequate to judge. For sure G109 has better pot, it's discrete design and have more power, but electrically it's similar. On some forum one guy claim that cannot hear the significant difference to justify the spending, but again it may vary. I've tried Beyers A20 in the store and than G103 in my house. Difference is subtle sonically, so I've bought G103 as it's cheaper.

Check out Headfonia.com and InnerFidelity.com, both did G109 & G103 comparisons a while back. Also lots of chatter about both of these amps near the beginning of this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back