Lake People G109 / G103 thread
Sep 16, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #227 of 729
  How does it sound with Mad Dogs? I have Alphadog that would need amp.

I'm listening to my MDs with the G103 right now. 
biggrin.gif
  It has no trouble at all keeping up with the black hole of power that these cans present.  Smooth and dynamic.  Great stuff.   

I have also used the Schiit Magni with the MDs and that is an amazingly competent little amp, too.  Especially considering the price.  It's peakier (not as smooth) with the MDs but it tends to bring out more detail in some situations.  I prefer the sound of the G103 by a comfortable margin but if you absolutely had to live with the Magni, you shouldn't feel like you're slummin' it. 

Sep 22, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #230 of 729
I just need to explode...listening to Joe Walsh via NAD C542, Schiit Bifrost, Lake People G109S, HiFiMan HE500...audio nirvana! Simply an awesome ensemble. Which component rules? Who cares! It's all good! Thanks to all!

It's these moments that we all strive for.  If we can stop obsessing about gear.  Congrats!

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #231 of 729
Subbed. Highly considering the G109. How are people feeling about this amp so far? I still see no reviews posted. It's basically a toss-up between this and the Meier Corda Classic for me at this point. 

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #232 of 729
Both good amps and well worth their money. I'd say the Classic is a bit more neutral, while the G109 does have a slightly warm touch. If you need/want crossfeed is another question that may help decide... if yes, the Classics implementation is one of the best I guess.

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #233 of 729
Both good amps and well worth their money. I'd say the Classic is a bit more neutral, while the G109 does have a slightly warm touch. If you need/want crossfeed is another question that may help decide... if yes, the Classics implementation is one of the best I guess.

Hmmm thank you. That's kind of the impression I got from project86's impressions too, that it was just slightly warm. Both sound like they are amazing amps.

Nov 13, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #234 of 729
Hmmm thank you. That's kind of the impression I got from project86's impressions too, that it was just slightly warm. Both sound like they are amazing amps.

Besides the obvious difference (one has crossfeed, the other does not) I think it comes down to neutral vs. neutral with a touch softer treble. Both have internal transformers (i.e. no wall warts), solid build quality. The G109 offers XLR inputs (but is not a balanced amp) with, I think, RCA taking priority (i.e. no manual switching), the Classic offers 2 RCA inputs that can be switched on the front.

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #235 of 729
What's the output impedance (at the jack) of the G103s and the G109s? I can't seem to find this info on the manufacturer's website.

EDIT - it was in the manuals: <0.2ohm for the G109 and <0.1ohm for the G103.

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #236 of 729

Absolutely.  My HD600's sound VERY good with my G103S.  It's actually one of the only SS amps I will let touch the drivers of the Senns.  It gives them a touch more energy but it doesn't try to alter that nice, smooth, neutral signature that the HD600's have.  Very, very good pairing. 

i bought at the end he-500, i wonder if they per well with them, unleas i'd need more power

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #237 of 729
  i bought at the end he-500, i wonder if they per well with them, unleas i'd need more power

What do you think? 
wink.gif

Max. output level:
    > 17.8 Veff in 600 ohms = 530 mW
    > 16.0 Veff in 300 ohms = 850 mW
    > 13.7 Veff in 200 ohms = 940 mW
    > 7.5 Veff in 50 ohms = 1130 mW
    > 3.7 Veff in 16 ohms = 890 mW

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #240 of 729
Hi,

i am looking for a new headphone amp / dac combination for over a year now, as my currently used fiio e10 is not fully functioning anymore. 

At first i thought, well lets pick up another fiio e10, but i always feel, that i am missing sth. at least compared to my speaker amplifiers headphone jack (It is a Yamaha, so most likely not dead neutral, but has so much power in comparison to the fiio). Most noticeable is the fiios relatively small soundstage and its lack of energy/impact in the bass region and to some degree the imaging of instruments. This is especially noticeable at orchestral/cinematic music (hans zimmer, john williams). But then again its only 80€. So for that its not all that bad :wink:

My headphones in uses are Sennheiser HD600, Beyerdynamic DT990Pro, AKG K272HD, Sennheisers HD540 Reference, Sennheiser HD555, Creative Aurvana Live 2 and some In-Ears like the Shure SE215k and some other non important circumaural headphones and in ears.

As you can see the headphones are quite different in soundsignature and impedance. At some time earlier this year, i thought, that a tube-amplifier would be a good choice, but at the end, i don't think its a good pick, as i have such a variety of headphones with different impedances. Schiit was out of the question aswell, as i heard very often, that they tend to be bright, which would be overkill for an already brighter headphone like the dt990pro. Audio gd has also quite a unique soundsignature and some problems with usb/gapless playbacks, so they were relatively quick out of the pick aswell. 

After each (extensive) research for a new headphone amp i get always stuck at the lake people(violectric) headphone amps.

Now to the questions:
Which lake people amp would be adequate (g103s vs g109s) for my headphones?
Can i expect a noticable difference to a fiio e10 with either of them?
Would you say, that the extra 200€ between the g103s and the g109s is a huge step and a must?
Which DAC would be a good choice? (odac, modi, cdac, hrt, etc,...)

Pls keep in mind, that i am currently studying and dont want to spent too much, unless its absolutely neccessary :wink:

Thank you very much in advance :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back