Lack of Digital Inputs on One-Box CDP's
Jan 10, 2008 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

morphsci

Can Jam '10 Lead Organizer
Am I the only one a little PO'ed that digital inputs aren't more common on mid-to-high level one-box CDP's. It seems like a real waste to not be able to use the very nice DAC's in these players for outboard sources. I am thinking about players like the Esoteric SA-60 and EMM Labs CDSA se. I myself find the digital inputs on my Cambridge Audio Azur 840c very, very useful.

------------------------------
CDP's with Digital Inputs
------------------------------
Accuphase (all!)
Audio Aero Capitole / Prestige SE
Burmester 061 / 001
Cambridge Audio Azur 740c, 840c
Cary 306 SACD, 306/200, 303/200 (but not the 303/300
frown.gif
)
Harman/Kardon HD970
Lindemann 820S
Mark Levinson 390S
Meridian 808.2i
Quad CDP-2
Resolution Audio Opus 21
Sim Audio Moon Evolution Series
Wadia (301 and newer)

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #2 of 24
I would think that as computer audio continues to grow as a legitimate audiophile medium, it will be more widely available. Your Azur 840C seems to be generating a LOT of favorable chatter, and that digital input is a big part of that IMHO. It's a nice plus to be able to run the digital feed from a Squeezebox into a high quality DAC in your single box CD player. Given otherwise like products, the digital in represents a LOT of added value...and that's going to translate into more sales. Hopefully it will encourage other manufacturers to do the same.

Jan 10, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would think that as computer audio continues to grow as a legitimate audiophile medium, it will be more widely available. Your Azur 840C seems to be generating a LOT of favorable chatter, and that digital input is a big part of that IMHO. It's a nice plus to be able to run the digital feed from a Squeezebox into a high quality DAC in your single box CD player. Given otherwise like products, the digital in represents a LOT of added value...and that's going to translate into more sales. Hopefully it will encourage other manufacturers to do the same.

That's my hope. Basically I am hoping that digital inputs become as standard as digital outputs (which were scarce on early model CDP's).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Accuphase DP-500 has digital inputs - coaxial and optical.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by howiebrou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the following;

Meridian 808.2i
Burmester 061 / 001
Mark Levinson 390S
Accuphase (all!)
Lindemann 820S
Audio Aero Capitole / Prestige SE

Thanks. I am not really looking for CDP's that have digital-in as I already found all you mention plus others such as the Audio Resolution Opus, Sim-Audio moon players, etc.

I was just trying to judge if I am in the minority in being disappointed that digital inputs (unlike digital outputs) are the exception, not the rule.
mad.gif

Jan 10, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 24
Pretty much all the Wadia products have digital in. I think their less expensive products (830, 301, 302) don't have it as a standard feature, but it's available as an option. The Squeezebox that I heard piped into a Wadia at the last meet sounded VERY nice indeed.

Jan 10, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #9 of 24
Cary 306/200
Cary 306 SACD

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #11 of 24
The Quad CDP-2 has 6 digital inputs. 3 coax, 3 toslink and a pre-amp function.

Personally I dont think that theres any reason not to stick a digital input onto CD players. Cant cost very much.

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Personally I dont think that theres any reason not to stick a digital input onto CD players. Cant cost very much.

I costs 500$ to add the digital input on my APL player. Quite steep but there is some control hardware involved.

Jan 10, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #13 of 24
On the European market there also is the Harman/Kardon HD970 - to my knowledge the cheapest cdp with digital inputs (1x opt./1x elect.(aka coax)) at the moment.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jan 10, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well since you guys are determined to tell me which CDP's have digital inputs,
mad.gif
biggrin.gif
, I will edit the first post to contain a list of known CDP with digital ins as a resource to make the thread more useful.

LOL! I am for one down right pi***d off at the shortage of digital inputs! I would love to be able to buy an SACD player with a great dac/ouput stage and send it a digital signal from my computer and DVD player! Now to get good sound on SACD and Redbook I have to buy an SACD player and a good DAC! They do this so you have to buy more stuff! They are becoming more prevalent in the upmarket players because people who buy high end gear usually keep it a while. In the future, discs will be dead! This is why I want an SACD spinner with digital inputs for under $2000! Some of my CD's are starting to get too old and I would love to have my computer hooked up to this imaginary player and just use the spinner for SACD!

Since Sony won't let us use or computers for SACD and I cannot find "MY" player that I need, I have decided to build one! It will be a hardwood encased SACD transport with I2S connection to an Opus DAC/controller with I2S and S/PDIF inputs with volume control for an Aikido output stage/headamp! ESI Julia(I2S connected) and Oppo DVD player are the two other sources. It seems that the only way I can get what I want is to build it! Also, being a carpenter and lacquer finisher I will have control over the build quality and design of the chassis. This is going to take months, but I am going to document it for all to see!

Jan 10, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I costs 500$ to add the digital input on my APL player. Quite steep but there is some control hardware involved.

In the stereophile article they state that the designer of the Quad player estimated the digital inputs added about $90 to the price of the player, if done right, $40 otherwise. A lot cheaper when you design it that way from the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back