Labtec Elite 840/Creative HQ-1300
Jun 8, 2005 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

abs0lute

New Head-Fier
Just got mine in the mail yesterday. Here are some out of the box impressions.

- The velour-like padding is real comfortable. Sometimes I forget that I'm wearing them! (Oh yeah, they're pretty light too.)
- Tried them first with the new Common Be CD. (Rap) Bass isn't as prominent as my PortaPros (expectedly) but it's still there. Not much extension either.
- Hey, an actual soundstage! I was able to notice a lot of stereo effects I hadn't noticed before. Sweet!
- For 32 ohm headphones, these seem to be as hard to drive as my 60 ohm PortaPros.
- Mid-highs tend to get very harsh.
- Increased detail over the PortaPros, but for some reason, I was listening to RHCP's "Breaking the Girl", and during the bridge, there was a ride cymbal sound that I knew should've been there but was muffled...maybe some EQ would help?

Anyway, these are pretty decent sounding headphones for the $20 I paid. But I'm not exactly impressed yet...maybe I would have to hear some higher-end headphones to compare. I wonder if burn-in would help some.

I wanted to ask...does anyone have a pair of these headphones? What do you think of them?

Jun 8, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 2
Yep, those were pretty much the exact same impressions I had when I first listened to my Elite-840's. Let 'em burn in for 20-30+ hours and you should hear the mids smooth out and the bass extension increase. You can also EQ the bass up a fair amount without distortion (I'm a bit of a basshead). I think they are very balanced for this price range and offer detail and clarity that are often associated with more expensive cans. I am using mine with a 75 ohm adapter and, much like the KSC35/75's, it really makes a difference with these cans. Better extension on both ends and an overall more refined sound. I have been very impressed with these so far and have started recommending them quite a bit. They are a bit more laid back than the Koss earphones but offer better detail. Kinda the Sennheiser to Koss' Grado.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back