La Figaro 339
Nov 6, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #152 of 6,900
And let me know what you think
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #153 of 6,900
I believe 339 also uses 6SJ7, but comes with a converter to also allow use of EF80.  The price of 5998 just seems extraordinarily high and probably not worth the subtle difference when tube rolling.

I am now using the Amperex EF80's and RCA JAN 6AS7 and I think compared to the stock tubes the difference was so subtle as to not be worth the price (I paid about $70 total for all 4 including shipping).  Maybe after more listening my impressions will change.  I had no noise whatsoever after switching tubes.

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #154 of 6,900
I have a DV337 and can comment on the tube rolling as far as my amp goes.  I have tried all three that you've mentioned the, 6080, 6AS7, and 5998.  The 6080 mullards were by far my least favorite.  They were very detailed by incredibly fatiguing.  They were not thin out of context but in comparison to the other two tubes, especially the RCA JAN 6AS7's, they were just so solid state sounding with peaky highs.  I really did not enjoy these and use them purely for my backup tubes.  The RCA's were next in line are really have a dark tubey signature.  Involving yes, but still quite dark and definitely the smoothest of the three. Details are not lost but almost covered in the smattering of juicy sounds that come across with these tubes.  I think dark is the best way I can describe them, dark full and lush.  The 5998 really took the cake for me.  Very detailed, airy, a touch of tubyness and a wonderful soundstage.  They have everything the RCA's do but with a very particular airyness to them that really spaces out the instruments and adds a lot to the music.  Definitely the tube of choice IMO.  I really did not find the differences that subtle between the three, especially when listening on my AKG 701's.  

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #155 of 6,900
I have 2 driver 6*4 & ef80, 2 power tube 6n13p & 6080,  so I can make 4 combination
1. 6*4 6n13p  bass tight, vocal bit thiner very fast and clean detail, treble smooth but not as smooth as comb 2. I think this good for Beyerdynamic can.
2. ef80 6080   bass very big but not as tight as combination 1, vocal very round, wide open thick and very dark,treble smooth. I think this is good for akg701.
the other combination combination in the middle on comb 1 and 2.
what i think start from 5998 because i still fell a very little lag on bass when i use combination 1.
this is what i feel as a newbie any other input please?

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #156 of 6,900

Quote:
I have a DV337 and can comment on the tube rolling as far as my amp goes.  I have tried all three that you've mentioned the, 6080, 6AS7, and 5998.  The 6080 mullards were by far my least favorite.  They were very detailed by incredibly fatiguing.  They were not thin out of context but in comparison to the other two tubes, especially the RCA JAN 6AS7's, they were just so solid state sounding with peaky highs.  I really did not enjoy these and use them purely for my backup tubes.  The RCA's were next in line are really have a dark tubey signature.  Involving yes, but still quite dark and definitely the smoothest of the three. Details are not lost but almost covered in the smattering of juicy sounds that come across with these tubes.  I think dark is the best way I can describe them, dark full and lush.  The 5998 really took the cake for me.  Very detailed, airy, a touch of tubyness and a wonderful soundstage.  They have everything the RCA's do but with a very particular airyness to them that really spaces out the instruments and adds a lot to the music.  Definitely the tube of choice IMO.  I really did not find the differences that subtle between the three, especially when listening on my AKG 701's.  

Thanks very much any other input again please?

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #157 of 6,900
Hi All, I will post pics when I can get decent light in the office room. I bought Tung Sol 5998's, RCA 6080's, Testron 6SJ7GT' mesh plates and have the WF EF80's that came with the kit as well.  With the Aussie dollar near parity, it was the time to jump in!

For those experiencing noise with their EF80's, it will settle down, but takes a long time, I'd estimate 80-100 hours. I have had mine going for about 2 weeks fairly constantly and they have only just lost the noise/distortion that was evident in the lower frequencies. Now they have been burnt in, they sound great though!

As for combinations, I actually like the stock Chinese tubes with the EF80's, they are a nice balance of clarity and warmth. It really seems that combinations of the above tubes will be best, for example the 5998's sound good with the EF80's but not so good with the black metal tubes that come stock, so it seems to be a trial and error process between driver and power tubes so far. I am still waiting for the Testron tubes to burn in yet- they still have a low frequency rumble in them.

Overall I must say that I am amazed that the amp is so quiet, compared to the guitar amps I have (admittedly they are alot higher gain structure though). I will try and provide some more newbie feedback as I go but so far it has been an amazing amp, with great support from Yuking all the way.

Dec 11, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #161 of 6,900

I heard somewhere that ALL 5998's were manufactured by Tung-Sol regardless of their external branding.  Is this true for the WE421A's as well?? I hope not as they are extraordinarily expensive for a rebrand lol. 

It's absolutely true, and it's true of the WE 421A - they are rebranded TS 5998's. It's a shame people still pay big bucks for the WE 421A. They are paying a big premium for the WE logo.

Dec 11, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #162 of 6,900
I'm pretty interested in getting this amp. does anyone know how well it does with lower independence cans, or more specifically, the Grado HF2? And also, because of the two plugs on the back of the amp, does it need two power cables?

Dec 11, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #163 of 6,900
It does need two power cables, I know the 337 DV does so I would assume this one isn't much difference.  Skylab mentioned that there would be a hum with low impedance cans such as Grado's.  I auditioned a couple grado's on my 337 and had no problems with them.  The amp is waaaay to powerful for them tho, you really don't need to turn the knobs at all before they are pretty loud.  This amp was really built for high impedance or really inefficient cans, Grado's don't really fit that category.  

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #165 of 6,900
Hi Guys, 

Received my La Figaro 339 about two weeks back, burnt in, and warmed up, now posting impressions. I bought it directly from Yuking09, and he shipped it using Air Cargo, and it reached me in 9 days flat. Awesome. 

I managed to find some RCA 6SJ7 tubes in the local market, and they do sound nice (a bit more detailed, and tighter bass), I must say, nicer than the default Russian 6*4 or the WF EF80s with my HD 650s. Have a lot more tubes on the way, some GE 6AC7s, Telefunken EF80s, and Winged C 6N5s, RCA 6080s, and best of all, GEC 6AS7Gs. Once I get them, will post more impressions.  

As for the amp itself, it is a work of art too look at and sounds sublime, smooth but powerful. I have had mostly solid states before, including a Balanced Little Dot Mk VII+, a DIY PPA, a Matrix M-Stage. My Source is an EMU1212M, balanced for the little dot, and unbalanced for the LF 339. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back