La Figaro 339
Apr 9, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #6,436 of 6,903
I've been away from this thread for so long.... how have you folks been?

To answer Michael's question..... I've had 3 La Figaro 339 and the i version. The first LF339 is probably the first version because it had the tube cage. Then there's a much later silver LF339 and and finally a LF339i.

In all of these, I've just plug straight in to the wonderful Aussie wall sockets.... and there was never any issues and it sounded amazing might I add.

However I must confess as much as I love the La Figaros, I've sold it all off.... why? Because I'm into the world of KT88 SET amps and 300b amps :) If LF339 rock my world, these big tube amps send me into outer world orbits. :)

I'll post just one picture.

IMG_2178.jpg
shame

Apr 14, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #6,437 of 6,903
I've been away from this thread for so long.... how have you folks been?

To answer Michael's question..... I've had 3 La Figaro 339 and the i version. The first LF339 is probably the first version because it had the tube cage. Then there's a much later silver LF339 and and finally a LF339i.

In all of these, I've just plug straight in to the wonderful Aussie wall sockets.... and there was never any issues and it sounded amazing might I add.

However I must confess as much as I love the La Figaros, I've sold it all off.... why? Because I'm into the world of KT88 SET amps and 300b amps :) If LF339 rock my world, these big tube amps send me into outer world orbits. :)

I'll post just one picture.

IMG_2178.jpg
Thanks for the reply, I ended up getting a Tortech euro transformer, we seem to have about 247v at the wall here so thought it would hurt. The ef80 converters are definitely noisy with the new amp but the RCA reds sound really nice in it. I had a box of tubes from the old amp which I’ve been trying out again. I have an Eddie Current 300b HP amp which sounds fantastic but the La Figaro 339i has its own tube sound going on which is really fun to listen to as well. Good luck with the 300b and KT88 gear!

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #6,438 of 6,903
Thanks for the reply, I ended up getting a Tortech euro transformer, we seem to have about 247v at the wall here so thought it would hurt. The ef80 converters are definitely noisy with the new amp but the RCA reds sound really nice in it. I had a box of tubes from the old amp which I’ve been trying out again. I have an Eddie Current 300b HP amp which sounds fantastic but the La Figaro 339i has its own tube sound going on which is really fun to listen to as well. Good luck with the 300b and KT88 gear!
That is an interesting statement @michaelcoota that you say the La Figaro holds it's own compared to an Eddie Current. I have an 330i but also respect the work from Eddie Current which many believe to be top tube amps.

Apr 14, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #6,439 of 6,903
Thanks. Coincidentally just the other day, my tube supplier told me he had a spare Tortech transformer that stabilized voltage if I wanted to buy. I told him I see no need at this point. I've an old pair of ef80 adapters that are noisy and also 2 other pairs of ef80 and ef86 adapters that are quiet. The bane of using adapters. I would rather not but those tubes are great sounding not to give it a go.

I have often said here that despite having tried and own many other nice tube amps, I am of the opinion that the La Figaro is rather unique and captivating in it's tonal presentation which I like a lot. Enjoy your LF339 and if one day perchance we get together, we could compare the 300b(s) and KT88 amps.

Apr 14, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #6,440 of 6,903
I got a pair of Philips 6SJ7WGT. From the prints it appears to be the Sylvania line (green label metal base). They have the numbers 8226 and I assume they were made in 1982.

I feel the metal bases are all loose and less solid than the 6SJ7s I have (most 40s and 50s), but still sounds quite good. Slightly different from TS 6SJ7GT mesh, though. Considering their cost I am quite satisfied.

PXL_20210414_232727263.jpg

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #6,441 of 6,903
I got a pair of Philips 6SJ7WGT. From the prints it appears to be the Sylvania line (green label metal base). They have the numbers 8226 and I assume they were made in 1982.

I feel the metal bases are all loose and less solid than the 6SJ7s I have (most 40s and 50s), but still sounds quite good. Slightly different from TS 6SJ7GT mesh, though. Considering their cost I am quite satisfied.

PXL_20210414_232727263.jpg

Further tests show that these tubes only good for certain range (vocal, primarily), but worse when you have a full range album, such as Liszt's piano.

https://tidal.com/browse/album/173315296

On 339i, the 50s Sylvania 6sj7gt pair better and the TS mesh is even better.

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #6,442 of 6,903
Further tests show that these tubes only good for certain range (vocal, primarily), but worse when you have a full range album, such as Liszt's piano.

https://tidal.com/browse/album/173315296

On 339i, the 50s Sylvania 6sj7gt pair better and the TS mesh is even better.
Ok glad to hear that because I have this exact same pair and I cannot stand them...I used them for about 10 minutes and they have been in their boxes ever since.

I don’t think it is just this tube either, the whole Philips ECG line is questionable. I’ve heard others complain about 6SN7s, 6080s, etc.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #6,443 of 6,903
Ok glad to hear that because I have this exact same pair and I cannot stand them...I used them for about 10 minutes and they have been in their boxes ever since.

I don’t think it is just this tube either, the whole Philips ECG line is questionable. I’ve heard others complain about 6SN7s, 6080s, etc.
Seconded, the ECG tubes do not sound very nice. Any Sylvania equivalent is better for the same or less price!

Apr 27, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #6,444 of 6,903
I am now a happy owner of bpiotrow13:s La Figaro 339 (“Bright version”). I have finished reading the whole thread and I am very grateful for all shared knowledge. I will try to contribute to this thread.

E5EEC3EE-F6CE-4B91-9306-95F6235D5D93.jpeg

I am now impatiently waiting for my ZMF VC to arrive so I can begin tube rolling. Meanwhile I am amazed how good the amplifier sounds with Beyerdynamic Amiron. I have been away for a few years from headphones since I sold off all my gear.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #6,445 of 6,903
I am now a happy owner of bpiotrow13:s La Figaro 339 (“Bright version”). I have finished reading the whole thread and I am very grateful for all shared knowledge. I will try to contribute to this thread.

E5EEC3EE-F6CE-4B91-9306-95F6235D5D93.jpeg

I am now impatiently awaits my ZMF VC to arrive so I can begin tube rolling. Meanwhile I am amazed how good the amplifier sounds with Beyerdynamic Amiron. I have been away for a few years from headphones since I sold off all my gear.

Nice:) Hope You will like it:) Maybe I will get back to La Figaro some day when I have HPs suitable for an OTL.

Apr 27, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #6,446 of 6,903
During my research in this thread I have made a summary of different peoples recommendations and thoughts about tubes in La Figaro. I recommend everyone to take it for what it is: a patchwork quilt of different subjective opinions detached from its context. But I guess it can serve as a pointing out a direction of where to start the tube rolling journey. I am sorry that I haven’t made proper quotation to respective persons opinion.

Driver/input tubes
  • Mullard/Amperex/Telefunken EF86 is a very revealing tube. Lots of details and clarity. Some listeners find EF86 to lack the full-bodied sound they are looking for. The EF86 Telefunken red tip are your best bet for noiseless EF86.
  • Mullard EF80/EF800 is more relaxing and less bright than EF86.
  • Siemens EF86/80 seems to be good alternative.
  • RCA 5693 red - is also a very detail and clear tubes. Certain listeners find the RCA 5693 tubes only good with the specified Tung Sol's listening to classical music. In every other pairing (and music genre) they think they are either shrill or boring. One listener thinks that 5693 is not impressive. Nothing really bad, but quite blurry and just like listen through a curtain. Maybe 5693 needs to pair TS 5998 and not others.
  • Philips 6SJ7WGT - Compared to the RCA reds, the high end is more extended, noticeably bigger soundstage and clearer imaging. It sounds magical and holographic thinks one listener.
  • Tung sol 6SJ7WTG mesh
  • Sylvania 6SJ7WTG - full/bassy tubes
  • RCA or JAN Philips 6SJ7WGT
  • Mazda Thorn EF86
  • NEC 6SJ7GT mesh plates
Power/output tubes
  • GEC 6AS7G - warm, lush with a nice bass punch.
  • GEC 6080 - the lighter tone version of the GEC 6AS7G. It's more airy and lighter in tone but with a very clear presentation.
  • Tung sol/Chatham 6080 - Sometimes the bass on these 6080's is too much and they are fatiguing. Don’t pair with Sylvania 6SJ7WTG. Another listener points out that it pairs well with 6SJ7GT, but be sure to adjust to similar volume as the EF86.
  • Chatham 6AS7G - more bass, better control, and space imagination than RCA 6AS7G thinks one listener.
  • Bendix 6080wb graphite plates - bass weight, wide soundstage, lush and dense but still very clear. One listener finds the Bendix noticeably heavier in bass weight and has that matte lovely texture and soundstage than Chatham 6080.
  • Tung Sol 5998 - Lots of energy, punch and impact. It's a lively tone with a solid bass impact and extends low. Clean sounding.
  • Tung sol/Cetron 7236 - this is the leaner tone version of the Tung Sol 5998. Very much leaner but with great impact too. Seems to pair well with RCA 5693 "red hots" driver tube. One listener has problems pairing 7236 with EF86 - they distort. But 7236 with GeC smoked white military label 6J5G are working great together. Bass meaty, speed and medium heavy, with very nice treble.
  • Telefunken 6080 - Dynamic, transparent and very detailed. One listener finds Telefunken 6080 to be more airy and transparent than GEC 6AS7G. Same listener finds Telefunken more musical and more transparent than GEC 6AS7G. Warning for fakes : the fake telefunken have no "made in germany", and have not the 3 digit serial on the sides. Also obviously the serial is all the same on those fakes (the Uxxxx serial under the main logo). They are THOMSON 6080 rebranded with only 2 micas. The genuine have 3 micas. For the Telefunken 6080, do seek the gray plates, because the black plates are a little bit temperamental at startup with EF86. Another listener finds Telefunken, although not a bassy tube which is something he like, the detail retrieval is very strong and to him separation of the instruments seems more pronounced in a front to back emphasis as opposed to left/right separation. He would not consider this a strong tube for rock but would be an excellent choice for classical or jazz if that is what you lean towards to. Clarity is a string point with this tube.
  • Rca 6as7g - more warm and lush than the Gec 6as7g but in comparison. One listener finds them veiled and not airy at all. RCA 6as7g has a warm, dark tone. If you don't favour that you won't like it. Others might like it to tame their bright headphone.
  • Svetlana 6h13c is cheap and not to shabby
  • JAN GE 6AS7G (Copper Rods) - warm and tubey
  • GE 6AS7GA

Apr 27, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #6,447 of 6,903
cover.jpg

I had this CD long time ago and recently reunited with it. Excellent samplers for chamber music. The texture is so rich and you almost feel you can touch it. It is not for bass head but the piano covers a wide range of the spectrum. It does not have a large orchestra but the chamber orchestra layers are so obvious.

The music is so easy listening although I have to say they are not the top performances. But it is perfect for testing different tubes' characteristics.

Apr 27, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #6,448 of 6,903
During my research in this thread I have made a summary of different peoples recommendations and thoughts about tubes in La Figaro
Well done. A good summarisation.

I call the Gec 6as7g King Arthur. The 5998 is Sir Lance A Lot. The Bendix 6080wb is Merlin and the GEC 6080 is Guinevere. The rest are the merry men.

Apr 28, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #6,449 of 6,903
During my research in this thread I have made a summary of different peoples recommendations and thoughts about tubes in La Figaro. I recommend everyone to take it for what it is: a patchwork quilt of different subjective opinions detached from its context. But I guess it can serve as a pointing out a direction of where to start the tube rolling journey. I am sorry that I haven’t made proper quotation to respective persons opinion.

Driver/input tubes
  • Mullard/Amperex/Telefunken EF86 is a very revealing tube. Lots of details and clarity. Some listeners find EF86 to lack the full-bodied sound they are looking for. The EF86 Telefunken red tip are your best bet for noiseless EF86.
  • RCA 5693 red - is also a very detail and clear tubes. Certain listeners find the RCA 5693 tubes only good with the specified Tung Sol's listening to classical music. In every other pairing (and music genre) they think they are either shrill or boring. One listener thinks that 5693 is not impressive. Nothing really bad, but quite blurry and just like listen through a curtain. Maybe 5693 needs to pair TS 5998 and not others.
  • Philips 6SJ7WGT - Compared to the RCA reds, the high end is more extended, noticeably bigger soundstage and clearer imaging. It sounds magical and holographic thinks one listener.
  • Tung sol 6SJ7WTG mesh
  • Mazda Thorn EF86
  • NEC 6SJ7GT mesh plates
Power/output tubes
  • GEC 6080 - the lighter tone version of the GEC 6AS7G. It's more airy and lighter in tone but with a very clear presentation.
  • Tung sol/Chatham 6080 - Sometimes the bass on these 6080's is too much and they are fatiguing. Don’t pair with Sylvania 6SJ7WTG. Another listener points out that it pairs well with 6SJ7GT, but be sure to adjust to similar volume as the EF86.
  • Chatham 6AS7G - more bass, better control, and space imagination than RCA 6AS7G thinks one listener.
  • Bendix 6080wb graphite plates - bass weight, wide soundstage, lush and dense but still very clear. One listener finds the Bendix noticeably heavier in bass weight and has that matte lovely texture and soundstage than Chatham 6080.
  • Tung Sol 5998 - Lots of energy, punch and impact. It's a lively tone with a solid bass impact and extends low. Clean sounding.
  • Tung sol/Cetron 7236 - this is the leaner tone version of the Tung Sol 5998. Very much leaner but with great impact too. Seems to pair well with RCA 5693 "red hots" driver tube. One listener has problems pairing 7236 with EF86 - they distort. But 7236 with GeC smoked white military label 6J5G are working great together. Bass meaty, speed and medium heavy, with very nice treble.
  • Telefunken 6080 - Dynamic, transparent and very detailed. One listener finds Telefunken 6080 to be more airy and transparent than GEC 6AS7G. Same listener finds Telefunken more musical and more transparent than GEC 6AS7G. Warning for fakes : the fake telefunken have no "made in germany", and have not the 3 digit serial on the sides. Also obviously the serial is all the same on those fakes (the Uxxxx serial under the main logo). They are THOMSON 6080 rebranded with only 2 micas. The genuine have 3 micas. For the Telefunken 6080, do seek the gray plates, because the black plates are a little bit temperamental at startup with EF86. Another listener finds Telefunken, although not a bassy tube which is something he like, the detail retrieval is very strong and to him separation of the instruments seems more pronounced in a front to back emphasis as opposed to left/right separation. He would not consider this a strong tube for rock but would be an excellent choice for classical or jazz if that is what you lean towards to. Clarity is a string point with this tube.
  • Rca 6as7g - more warm and lush than the Gec 6as7g but in comparison. One listener finds them veiled and not airy at all. RCA 6as7g has a warm, dark tone. If you don't favour that you won't like it. Others might like it to tame their bright headphone.
  • GE 6AS7GA
Really helpful and impressive:) But bear in mind it may be subjective, it all depends on the system You have and sound You like.

Apr 28, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #6,450 of 6,903

Driver/input tubes
  • Tung sol 6SJ7WTG mesh
  • Mazda Thorn EF86
  • NEC 6SJ7GT mesh plates
Power/output tubes
  • GE 6AS7GA
I’m happy running mine with the Mullard EF86 and Thomson 6080 Output tubes on mine. Not looking for expensive tubes now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back