La Figaro 339
Feb 5, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #4,487 of 6,903
So I never really got the separate volume knobs on the La Figaro amp until some time with my recent purchase with the "beginners kit" Darkvoice 336SE. Educating myself on tube rolling and noticed that some tubes were sold as "balanced" sets. With the Figaro having separate left right channel volume knobs..is it safe to say purchasing balanced tubes is not as important here?

You are correct, any imbalance in the tubes can be controlled with the volume controls, so don't pay excessively for balanced sets.

More importantly if your hearing is not perfect like mine " my right ear is about 3 db down on the left ear " you can adjust the volume on the weak ear to centre the sound stage. You just can't enjoy music if the sound stage is shifted left or right and nearly all the high end hi-fi headphone amps don't have a balance control, so a mono block design like the La Figaro is the best solution.

Feb 5, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #4,488 of 6,903
They do in the L63/6C5/6J5 version of the amp WITH an adapter. I've posted pictures of this before.
I was responding to someone who stated they have the bright version. My comment also applies to anyone who purchases it new since they stopped making your version. I'll edit my post since I didn't make that clear.

Feb 5, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #4,489 of 6,903
I was responding to someone who stated they have the bright version. My comment also applies to anyone who purchases it new since they stopped making your version. I'll edit my post since I didn't make that clear.

You can still get the L63/6C5/6J5 version if you directly request it from them (they didn't stop making it).

Feb 6, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #4,491 of 6,903
I feel like I need to create an FAQ for this amp. All the correct information is in this thread (somewhere) but there's so much misinformation being passed around by new owners.

It would be nice to have all this info spread over years on one thread consolidated into something more organized. But there is always the search function

Feb 10, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #4,493 of 6,903
We all know that 339 generates a lot of heat. So much that touch the solid metal part between the two power tubes is adventurous.

Even though 399 seems to be well built for high temperature, I feel that running at a lower temperature is a good thing for this amp or any amp. To achieve this goal, I found a small fan and put it on top of the heat vent between the power tubes. It drastically reduces the temperature of my 339. Now, I can leave my figure on the solid metal part between the two power tubes for a long time, it is warm, not hot anymore.

This is a AC Infinity MULTIFAN S1, 80mm. It uses a USB power plug to get power of a laptop or a powerful USB charger. I am powering this fan with the USB charger for my ASUS phone. The fan covers the heat vent of 399 very well, and I place the fan in the direction to suck the heat out. It is quite, it has its own switch to turn on and off and to choose among three levels of fan speeds.

This fan costs about $10 on Amazon

By searching, I found that this idea was already mentioned long time ago in Post #364 by keph

Feb 10, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #4,495 of 6,903
Hey Guys, I am considering using this cooling fan

https://smile.amazon.com/AC-Infinit...&ref_=ox_sc_saved_image_1&smid=A2AW0W4FKP16S5

My main concern is that it may draw excess dust into unit. Should I be concerned? I have read mixed things about using cooling fans.
If anyone uses this fan, did u remove the silicone feet? Unit is in open area and is used btw 70-80 degree F with humidity around 50%

Any thoughts or comments about using a cooling fan over the top vent to draw out heat would be appreciated!

Feb 10, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #4,496 of 6,903
I too am considering this fan. Did you remove the silicone feet? I am concerned they may melt. Also, i have a concern that the fan could draw excess dust into the unit.
Any thoughts on the dust? Issue or not? Thanks in adv for any comments

No, I did not remove the silicone feet. It definitely will not melt if the fan is working. Even if the fan is not working, I doubt the amp's temperature is high enough to melt the silicon feet.

Unless the environment of the amp is very dusty, drawing some dust into the amp does seem to be an issue because there is not moving parts inside the amp.

Feb 10, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #4,497 of 6,903
No, I did not remove the silicone feet. It definitely will not melt if the fan is working. Even if the fan is not working, I doubt the amp's temperature is high enough to melt the silicon feet.

Unless the environment of the amp is very dusty, drawing some dust into the amp does seem to be an issue because there is not moving parts inside the amp.

Thanks for response! I will try it out

Feb 15, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #4,498 of 6,903
As has been mentioned on the 6as7 tube rolling thread, 2x CV4079/A2293 can be rolled into the power tube slot with adapters (available on ebay). I had some initial connection issues since i couldn't get the tubes to sit properly/deep enough but with some considerable force they are now in nice and snug. They sound great, somewhere in between the GEC 6080 and GEC 6AS7G; slightly more musical and less analytical than the 6AS7G, with deeper/punchier bass, and almost as good separation/imaging/soundstage for which the GEC 6AS7G is the best I've heard (TS5998 a close 2nd but not as musical imo). They work great with mullard/telefunken EF86 for incredibly musical clarity on HD800 or with 6SJ7GT a smooth, relaxing but still textured sound. A viable substitute for the insanely expensive GEC 6AS7G as these are only around 10-20$ for NOS. Gain is very very high on these tubes, have the knobs at this position and -25dB through DAC, still moderately loud. Anyone else tried these tubes on LF339?

Added a picture, will add a lights off shot when it's night time over here. Looks a bit wacky but pretty cool at the same time :)

So, is there anything to be concerned with using these adapters and CV4079/A2293 for power tubes in our 339s? Any risk of damaging the amp or headphones?......apart from the normal risks associated with using an OTL Tube amp; i.e. following the proper power up and shutdown sequence an all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back