La Figaro 339
Jun 28, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #3,092 of 6,900

What are your suggestions? I would like the versatility to change tubes and go both thick and Tubey euphoric to analytical without losing the bass response. Do you have better suggestions in the price range, and maybe best case above?

You're overrating what can be achieved by rolling tubes imo.  Sound signature is determined for 40% by your cans, 50% by tube amp topology, the remaining 10% or so by tube rolling.  Assuming the same track, good recording and mastering.  With those 10% you can play.  339 is on the warm side but if you want really lush (technically:  inaccurate) sound there are other options available.  Differences between the same family of (power) tubes are overrated.  I'm pretty sure 90% of people listening with a good amp and a resolving set of cans like the HD-800 couldn't tell 2 6AS7 tubes apart if volume is matched.  Been there, done that.  

That refreshing to hear i agree 100% . imo there's a lot of  exageration in the differences especially if somebody just paid big bucks for that special pair ,of course its going to sound much better ,incredible ects.

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #3,093 of 6,900

That refreshing to hear i agree 100% . imo there's a lot of  exageration in the differences especially if somebody just paid big bucks for that special pair ,of course its going to sound much better ,incredible ects.

Difference CAN be very noticeable as the the tubes are not an insignificant part of the amp, given that it is an OTL design the tubes do contribute to the sound.

I have noticed big (when I can tell in a few seconds) differences regarding power tubes, with the dark GE 6AS7GA and Svetlana 6AS7G, which is more controlled and clear. Both of these tubes are $10 each, not a big spend but do sound different.

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #3,094 of 6,900

Difference CAN be very noticeable as the the tubes are not an insignificant part of the amp, given that it is an OTL design the tubes do contribute to the sound.

I have noticed big (when I can tell in a few seconds) differences regarding power tubes, with the dark GE 6AS7GA and Svetlana 6AS7G, which is more controlled and clear. Both of these tubes are $10 each, not a big spend but do sound different.

Svetlana:  do you mean a 6H13C ('winged C') tube?  Take a look at the specs, notably the gain, and compare with the GE.  Volume match by measuring, not by the dial.  Then see if you hear a difference.  This is one of the prime reasons why people like the 5998/2399 tubes so much.

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #3,095 of 6,900
Svetlana:  do you mean a 6H13C ('winged C') tube?  Take a look at the specs, notably the gain, and compare with the GE.  Volume match by measuring, not by the dial.  Then see if you hear a difference.  This is one of the prime reasons why people like the 5998/2399 tubes so much.

Next in line, you're not going to insist that 6H13C ('winged C') sounds like, say, a late-50s/early-60s RCA 6AS7G, are you?

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #3,096 of 6,900
Svetlana: do you mean it is an inherently louder tube? I'll compare again tomorrow.

Here are the spec sheets:

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/093/6/6AS7GA.pdf

http://www.thetubestore.com/lib/thetubestore/RU-6H13C.pdf

Both are rated at 6.3 V, 2.5 amperes. The graphs show the Svetlana has higher current at greater voltage. Don't know what that information infers though.

If tubes are merely louder than one another, then why does no-one stay with the stock tubes the amp ships with?

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #3,098 of 6,900
yeah they're sick

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #3,099 of 6,900
http://www.parts-express.com/6as7ga-ge-jan-vacuum-tube--072-612

Jun 30, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #3,103 of 6,900

A rapturous pairing, though the Telefunken EF 86 trades blows with the Tung-Sol/RCA (tube pictured on right). The latter driver tube is slightly smoother, less punchy and aggressive, though still detailed. These tubes seem slightly more accessible and forgiving.

The Telefunken conveys a richer tone, conveying a denser and more forward tone than does the Tung-Sol/RCA. Treble is noticeably sharper too, which may be a good or bad thing depending on the recording. The Telefunken EF86s--at least those I own--eviscerate the myth that the HD650 is veiled. They shine with vocals, particularly female vocals throughout the upper mids. More picky and less forgiving than my other driver tubes yet perfect for recordings lacking over-emphasized treble and general loudness.

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #3,104 of 6,900
^ If the EF 86 was a headphone, would you say it has a V shape?

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #3,105 of 6,900
  ^ If the EF 86 was a headphone, would you say it has a V shape?

I would be hesitant to say this because there is a full bottom end. It is hard for me to say what it is and easier for me to say what it is not, and only by means of comparison. I would like to try this particular pair against another pair because mine could be entirely idiosyncratic. The sense I get is that the EF 86 is more forward, less laid-back, and louder. Treble is sharper for sure, but there is no scarcity of twang in the lower mids or the bass. This could be just as much to do with the its synergy with the LF 339 signature sound, full-bodied in all cases, while paired with power tubes that you and others have said change the character of the sonic signature even more conspicuously than drivers. 

I did do a fair amount of listening today and can confirm what I said yesterday, but I cannot emphasize enough that this is only true for my particular tubes and may or may not be true of others'.

As someone else has said here, tubes within the same family are more difficult to detect differences between. This is also true of input tubes. Going from the EF 86 style to my pairs of 6S7JWTs is more noticeable than switching between two of the same family, the RCA reds more akin to the latter than the former. 

I hope to not stomp on anyone else's impressions here, though. I still have a lot to learn about tubes. Am I am loving this amp so much. HD 650s and HD800s are competing for about equal headtime on it.

Best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back