L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Mar 14, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #2,401 of 6,792
Pretty tubes! My German is a little rusty, but at least we speak the same language in Triode. :laughing:

It looks like you can run this at 12.6v (with half the current draw) on the heaters as well?

You gotta be careful with that. Sometimes tubes do have an affinity for 6.3 or 12.6v operation. I doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me because half the voltage at double the amperage or double the voltage at half the amperage still equals the same amount of watts. And considering our goal with the heater is to literally heat it up, you would tend to think that the configuration of the heater almost wouldn't matter.

And yet, there are quite a few articles and people with far more experience than me who say that some tubes have preferences for how you run the heater.

Mar 14, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #2,402 of 6,792
Could you point to some reading material @Tjj226 Angel .
Most of what i've noted regarding that topic has to do with an even heating method for DHT's.
From what i take away when reading posts about heaters (as on the EML/JAC websites).
If it has a center tap. It's better to use it. The EC360 is on my radar aswel (and in the collection).
For use on my next Crack amplifier build.

Edit: What i try to say is. It doesn't seem to matter much with IDH tubes. Anyway the lowest voltage will make for the longest life (smallest dV on the heater).

Here's some reading material i refer to.
http://emissionlabs.com/Articles/TECH-BULLETIN/TB-05-Heater-Voltage/TB-05-Heater-Voltage.html
http://emissionlabs.com/Articles/APP-NOTES/AN-06-Center-tap/center-tapped-index.html

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #2,403 of 6,792
Could you point to some reading material @Tjj226 Angel .
Most of what i've noted regarding that topic has to do with an even heating method for DHT's.
From what i take away when reading posts about heaters (as on the EML/JAC websites).
If it has a center tap. It's better to use it. The EC360 is on my radar aswel (and in the collection).
For use on my next Crack amplifier build.

Edit: What i try to say is. It doesn't seem to matter much with IDH tubes. Anyway the lowest voltage will make for the longest life (smallest dV on the heater).

Here's some reading material i refer to.
http://emissionlabs.com/Articles/TECH-BULLETIN/TB-05-Heater-Voltage/TB-05-Heater-Voltage.html
http://emissionlabs.com/Articles/APP-NOTES/AN-06-Center-tap/center-tapped-index.html

If I don't post anything in the next 48 hours remind me to do so. I'm in the shop right now since it is finally starting to warm up. : )

And to be clear, it is not like every IDHT has a preference. Hell, most IDHTs don't have a way to configure the heater in the first place. It's just that some IDHTs seems to exhibit different emission characteristics based on how the heater is configured.

I know there is at least one article that is easy to find online, I just gotta remember what tube they were looking at.

Mar 17, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #2,404 of 6,792
I have sort of an announcement to make - I've decided I will not be continuing with this thread anymore. Furthermore, I won't be spending much time on Head-Fi going forward.

The reasoning is multifactorial, but the primary motivator is that maintaining this thread, as well as the habitual checking of Head-Fi, has become a negative influence and is consuming too much of my personal time. Outside of this thread and two or three other tube-oriented threads, I do not engage much in the community, call me disillusioned I guess. I'm sure it's obvious, but I am primarily interested in DIY audio, not necessarily just headphone audio. The past few days have been sort of a trial run where I turned off all Head-Fi notifications and went cold turkey, and I can honestly say it has been nothing but positive. I've also come to realize that I do not have the patience to build and sell amplifiers in any capacity here.

For now, I won't be doing anything as drastic as deactivating my account (assuming that is possible, I need to check with the mods) as I would be concerned this thread would disappear. I've learned that it has become a learning resource for quite a few people, so I would like it to remain available.

So yeah, that's it, it has been a great run, thank you for everyone who followed along for the past year or so, it will make me sad to see Head-Fiers disappointed in my decision, but it is what's best for me personally. I may check in from time-to-time and see how people are doing, I have met lots of great people on Head-Fi. I will remain active on diyAudio I am certain, but not to the same degree that I have been active here, it just isn't that kind of forum.

Happy to explain my reasoning, but please do not try to change my mind! I think it is time to move on.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #2,406 of 6,792
I have sort of an announcement to make - I've decided I will not be continuing with this thread anymore. Furthermore, I won't be spending much time on Head-Fi going forward.

The reasoning is multifactorial, but the primary motivator is that maintaining this thread, as well as the habitual checking of Head-Fi, has become a negative influence and is consuming too much of my personal time. Outside of this thread and two or three other tube-oriented threads, I do not engage much in the community, call me disillusioned I guess. I'm sure it's obvious, but I am primarily interested in DIY audio, not necessarily just headphone audio. The past few days have been sort of a trial run where I turned off all Head-Fi notifications and went cold turkey, and I can honestly say it has been nothing but positive. I've also come to realize that I do not have the patience to build and sell amplifiers in any capacity here.

For now, I won't be doing anything as drastic as deactivating my account (assuming that is possible, I need to check with the mods) as I would be concerned this thread would disappear. I've learned that it has become a learning resource for quite a few people, so I would like it to remain available.

So yeah, that's it, it has been a great run, thank you for everyone who followed along for the past year or so, it will make me sad to see Head-Fiers disappointed in my decision, but it is what is best for me personally. I may check in from time-to-time and see how people are doing, I have met lots of great people on Head-Fi. I will remain active on diyAudio I am certain, but not to the same degree that I have been active here, it just isn't that kind of forum.

Happy to explain my reasoning, but please do not try to change my mind! I think it is time to move on.
Well that's a bummer. I've greatly enjoyed your contributions and you freely sharing your experience and knowledge, and have learned a lot along the way. I won't try and dissuade you, only hope that you'll pop in every now and then just to say howdy if nothing else. Best of everything to you going forward!

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #2,407 of 6,792
Thanks for all of the projects that you posted Keenan, it was much enjoyable following them. I was really interested in the EL34 build, but I totally understand.
I wish you nothing but the best brother, take care, be safe, enjoy whatever DIY stuff you get into, and thanks for everything you do in your everyday job and putting new sockets in my amp :)

Kudos to you!

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #2,408 of 6,792
@L0rdGwyn - you will be greatly missed, my friend!
Not trying to change your mind - I truly hope to see you pop in every now and then... :wink:

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #2,409 of 6,792
I also have to say: I understand your decision. Forums like this can be a great thief of time...

Thank you for your invaluable contribution, which has always been offbeat and interesting (and has inspired me to look at valve amplification a little “sideways”).

All the best!

Mar 17, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #2,410 of 6,792

So yeah, that's it, it has been a great run, thank you for everyone who followed along for the past year or so, it will make me sad to see Head-Fiers disappointed in my decision, but it is what's best for me personally. I may check in from time-to-time and see how people are doing, I have met lots of great people on Head-Fi. I will remain active on diyAudio I am certain, but not to the same degree that I have been active here, it just isn't that kind of forum.

Boooooooooo! :tired_face:

:grin: Just kidding, good luck Keenan. Your knowledge will be missed! Don't worry, the thread won't die. I'll be sure to come back and bump it every St. Patrick's Day at least :four_leaf_clover: .

1616017064981.png

Mar 17, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #2,411 of 6,792
You are 100% correct you have to take care of yourself and spend your time in the ways you feel are best. I've enjoyed following your enthusiasm Keenan and will feel its absense but I completely understand where you are coming from. Best wishes and I certainly do hope you are inclined to stay in touch with us at some level even if it's infrequent.

Mar 17, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #2,415 of 6,792
Thank you for the well wishes everyone and for your understanding. Have had a lot of fun with the tubehead community here, I will try not to be a complete stranger and check in now and then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back