L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Feb 2, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #2,072 of 6,723
Is the DV plan to use one of these Bare Matisse High Voltage Power Supply Boards that are avail on one of these famous auction sites, as part of the power supply mod?

No, the DarkVoice that I am currently modding will use a high-voltage regulator designed by Mischa of 1101 Audio. However, if all works out and others want to pursue this modification, I might recommend using the 21st Century Maida from Neurochrome as it is commercially available with SMD components pre-soldered. The PCB is larger though so I would have to figure out if it can be mounted inside the available space inside the DarkVoice and how that would be accomplished.

Feb 2, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #2,073 of 6,723
Is the DV plan to use one of these Bare Matisse High Voltage Power Supply Boards that are avail on one of these famous auction sites, as part of the power supply mod?

I was hoping for something like this. Per channel. :sweat_smile:

1612322191862.png

Feb 3, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #2,075 of 6,723
Gyrator PCBs arrived today, going to try to do this DarkVoice modifications this upcoming weekend, probably Sunday into Monday. I will pray to the oscillation gods Saturday night in preparation.

IMAG3003-2.jpg

Also received all of the replacement resistors and capacitors for the Zenith radio restoration. Replacing all of the original circuit components will be laborious, looking forward to having the circuit functional so I can focus on the fun part, which is polishing/restoring the bakelite chassis. I will likely be using my buffing wheel to shine it up.

Let's see what else...once the DarkVoice stuff is mostly done and the radio is done, I really only have the 801A amplifier left on the big "to do" list (obviously there is an endless list of little tweaks to be done on my completed gear, but nothing super major that I have planned).

I am not rushing it as it has been a long time coming and I have huge expectations for the sound based on previous prototypes. Right now I am playing with some simulations, ideas I have to alter the pentode input stage, more to come on that.

More fun is thinking about the final aesthetics of the amplifier. What I think I want is to make it look more like a "vintage" SET amplifier. Might not be for everyone, but I like the look of these Asano SET designs, sort of a high-gloss burnt reddish brown with vintage bakelite knobs and toggle power switch.

unnamed.jpg

We will see if tastes change, but that is what I am liking at the moment.

Feb 3, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #2,076 of 6,723
Nice work there mate.
I bet you are keeping yoursefl busy and enjoying it!

Are you going to change all the resistors too?
Sorry if you have already pointed that out, but I haven't been following all previous convo.

I was just writing about resistors in another thread and I wonder what is your take on carbon composite types.
My experience is rather positive with them and they match well with tubes, especially with zero-feedback topologies.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #2,077 of 6,723
Nice work there mate.
I bet you are keeping yoursefl busy and enjoying it!

Are you going to change all the resistors too?
Sorry if you have already pointed that out, but I haven't been following all previous convo.

I was just writing about resistors in another thread and I wonder what is your take on carbon composite types.
My experience is rather positive with them and they match well with tubes, especially with zero-feedback topologies.

Thanks! I will be changing a few resistors, the cathode resistors of the 6SN7 driver tube, possibly the grid stoppers as well, and the cathode resistors of the 6080 output tube. The power supply will no longer need the original wirewound resistors and the plate resistors of the 6SN7 won't be needed either.

I do like carbon composition resistors, but I prefer carbon films over them, there are many others though who prefer the carbon composition. I use Allen Bradley carbon composition resistors as grid stoppers in my designs typically.

Feb 3, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #2,078 of 6,723
Gyrator PCBs arrived today, going to try to do this DarkVoice modifications this upcoming weekend, probably Sunday into Monday. I will pray to the oscillation gods Saturday night in preparation.

IMAG3003-2.jpg

Also received all of the replacement resistors and capacitors for the Zenith radio restoration. Replacing all of the original circuit components will be laborious, looking forward to having the circuit functional so I can focus on the fun part, which is polishing/restoring the bakelite chassis. I will likely be using my buffing wheel to shine it up.

Let's see what else...once the DarkVoice stuff is mostly done and the radio is done, I really only have the 801A amplifier left on the big "to do" list (obviously there is an endless list of little tweaks to be done on my completed gear, but nothing super major that I have planned).

I am not rushing it as it has been a long time coming and I have huge expectations for the sound based on previous prototypes. Right now I am playing with some simulations, ideas I have to alter the pentode input stage, more to come on that.

More fun is thinking about the final aesthetics of the amplifier. What I think I want is to make it look more like a "vintage" SET amplifier. Might not be for everyone, but I like the look of these Asano SET designs, sort of a high-gloss burnt reddish brown with vintage bakelite knobs and toggle power switch.

unnamed.jpg

We will see if tastes change, but that is what I am liking at the moment.

Edited the picture for you, you know, just for clarity and stuff. :laughing: :laughing:

DV Board.jpg

Feb 4, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #2,079 of 6,723
LOL... How about:

LGified? DVLG? LGDV? Lordy! Goodness_DV?

:wink:

We will need a new name. The DarkL0rd. Or if that has too negative a connotation, instead of Darkvoice 336i perhaps the Darkvoice 336LG. Or better, the 336LGv1 because we already know he'll make further improvements after the initial go 'round. :smile:

Feb 4, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #2,080 of 6,723
We will need a new name. The DarkL0rd. Or if that has too negative a connotation, instead of Darkvoice 336i perhaps the Darkvoice 336LG. Or better, the 336LGv1 because we already know he'll make further improvements after the initial go 'round. :smile:
Following the naming convention for Glenn's amps (GOTL / GEL3N) - it should be LG336, or with the assumption of future iterations... LG336v1 :nerd:

Feb 4, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #2,082 of 6,723
I do like the 336L0G (that's a zero) for the L0rdGwyn mod...and the DV is as heavy as one..:).

@L0rdGwyn - What are we going to call the DV mods by you?

Feb 4, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #2,083 of 6,723
I do like the 336L0G (that's a zero) for the L0rdGwyn mod...and the DV is as heavy as one..:).

@L0rdGwyn - What are we going to call the DV mods by you?

Oh boy, I don't know! Maybe I will wait until the modifications are done and declared a success, until then I will leave that to you guys :)

Feb 4, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #2,084 of 6,723
I've purchased one of the 21CM boards from Neurochrome in case that becomes the path forward for future modders, might as well get it in house while I have a DarkVoice to see if/how it will mount in the chassis.

In keeping with my desire to make my 801A amplifier "vintagey", going to get some of these NOS bakelite Kurz-Kasch knobs and NOS Amphenol octal and UX4 sockets.

knb-s-648d_lg.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg

I had a slow night at work, which is very rare, brought along my laptop and went into a LTSpice deep dive on the 801A amp. I think I have found a more elegant and simplified solution to the pentode gain stage that I am very excited about. I believe it will be much more forgiving to the feedback loop as well, very excited to prototype it in the real world.

Feb 4, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #2,085 of 6,723
Oh boy, I don't know! Maybe I will wait until the modifications are done and declared a success, until then I will leave that to you guys :)

You're gonna leave that to these guys? We'll have to add "brave" to your list of talents. :laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back