L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
May 10, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #2,536 of 6,792
I think we've talked about it before, the isolation transformer solution is a good one, but the transformers that are worth buying can be expensive and seem to be getting harder to find (Topaz, MGE, etc.), imperative that they be of low interwinding capacitance, otherwise the benefits aren't realized. So many companies are completely vague about what is going on inside their power conditioners, I tend to get serious snake oil vibes...
I've looked for a Topaz a couple of times, but as you said they're already hard to find and usually salvage pieces that are all beat up. I know it's also somewhat common for them to hum and that would drive me crazy since it would be right next to where I sit. I had to return two TrippLites because they hummed as well, noises like that drive me crazy.

I view this subject the same way I view premium cables: it's almost impossible to truly make informed choices through research alone. So I just stay away from it. But when something remains "not quite right" for a long time as a setup goes through it's evolutionary path it's logical to look at the things one has never addressed or changed as the most likely sources.

I thought about trying a TrippLite medical isolator but widespread reports of hum shut that down too.

May 10, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #2,537 of 6,792
I've looked for a Topaz a couple of times, but as you said they're already hard to find and usually salvage pieces that are all beat up. I know it's also somewhat common for them to hum and that would drive me crazy since it would be right next to where I sit. I had to return two TrippLites because they hummed as well, noises like that drive me crazy.

I view this subject the same way I view premium cables: it's almost impossible to truly make informed choices through research alone. So I just stay away from it. But when something remains "not quite right" for a long time as a setup goes through it's evolutionary path it's logical to look at the things one has never addressed or changed as the most likely sources.

I thought about trying a TrippLite medical isolator but widespread reports of hum shut that down too.
Gear hum also drives me up a wall. Sitting next to my gear, in a quiet environment I feel like o can hear everything. Your comments resonate with me and make me twitch !

May 10, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #2,538 of 6,792
I use TrippLite ISOBars in my setup because I'm not comfortable at all with having it all plugged into the wall directly. Summer is non-stop thunderstorms around here. But, I do think they hurt the sound quality of the system (along with every other surge supressor I've used including the series mode ones), and these have a pretty good reputation as far as surge strips go. The ones I have feature bank isolation and I do think it has an effect. Things like monitors and such that have switching power supplies feed back noise into the strip and the bank isolation helps keep it from getting into the other components somewhat.

Maybe a real power conditioner is what I have been needing all this time to truly get the sound where I want it....... but I can't build enough confidence in a purchase to justify their high price.

Honestly, if power is a real concern, just look for a used AC regenerator. They are expensive as sin, but the amount of money you will spend going down the clean/safe power rabbit hole is insane. So you might as well buy once and cry once.

May 10, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #2,539 of 6,792
Honestly, if power is a real concern, just look for a used AC regenerator. They are expensive as sin, but the amount of money you will spend going down the clean/safe power rabbit hole is insane. So you might as well buy once and cry once.
I got a less expensive regenerator after many issues. Sorted. No more messing about. Powerinspired regen was not crazy expensive and did the trick.

May 10, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #2,540 of 6,792

Wiring an MGE / Topaz transformer for balanced power seems to silence the hum. I had read reports of this on the Topaz forum here, and it was the case for me as well, my transformer is completely silent. It is also a haven for my cats to sit on a cold day. I was very fortunate to find the one I did, maybe keep an eye out and a good one might show up!

May 10, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #2,541 of 6,792
I'd be grateful for a specific recommendation if you have one, keeping in mind that my setup is more or less "budget high end" and anything deep into 4 figures is probably a bridge too far.

May 10, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #2,542 of 6,792
I'd be grateful for a specific recommendation if you have one, keeping in mind that my setup is more or less "budget high end" and anything deep into 4 figures is probably a bridge too far.

Just keep your eye out for a used PS audio stellar 3. I have seen them go for 800 bucks on ebay from time to time. It's a bit costly, but it solves the problem of delivering clean power vs trying to dance around the issue with isolation transformers. Or if lordgwyn and a few others want to pitch in, I'm sure we can come up with a DIY schematic.

I have thought about building an AC regenerator for the better part of a year, and I have a very general idea of what needs to be done, but there are still some issues I have a hard time wrapping my head around.

The number 1 issue I have is figuring out the output stage. You obviously want to use some type of transformer to ensure that you have no DC on the output, however if you choose a step up transformer, then you will have to deal with the fact that you loose current capability as you choose higher and higher step up ratios.

I haven't quite nailed down the right step up ratio quite yet.

May 10, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #2,545 of 6,792
In the bit of experimenting I've done I have found that trying to get cleaner power to the PC itself when using it as source for the DAC is quite beneficial. At least as much so as taking care of a similar source such as a CD transport in the same way. I really shot myself in the foot when I built this PC though...... it's one of those cute little miniITX builds and it uses a front mounted PSU tray. Meaning the power supply has an internal umbilical cable whose quality I have no control over and I've been given reason to believe the quality of that cable is crap. I'm sure replacing this is pretty entry level DIY skill but I don't have the will to mess with it. It feels like every time I fiddle with anything it just makes things worse so now I'm gun shy.

May 10, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #2,546 of 6,792
In the bit of experimenting I've done I have found that trying to get cleaner power to the PC itself when using it as source for the DAC is quite beneficial. At least as much so as taking care of a similar source such as a CD transport in the same way. I really shot myself in the foot when I built this PC though...... it's one of those cute little miniITX builds and it uses a front mounted PSU tray. Meaning the power supply has an internal umbilical cable whose quality I have no control over and I've been given reason to believe the quality of that cable is crap. I'm sure replacing this is pretty entry level DIY skill but I don't have the will to mess with it. It feels like every time I fiddle with anything it just makes things worse so now I'm gun shy.

Sure. But by putting a switch mode psu on the same circuit, you dirty the power for your amp and dac.

I would also argue that if doing something to your pc makes the audio better, then there are larger issues that should be addressed first.

My guess is that you are using USB for your dac correct? What dac do you have.

May 11, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #2,547 of 6,792
Schiit Yggdrasil, and it is indeed fed with USB. I have found that cleaner power into the computer has about the same effect as those USB decrapifiers have more or less. The power supply in the PC has good regulation but I doubt it really filters anything that's coming into it for noise. The CPU and critical sections will of course have their own regulation but the 5V supply that powers USB and such seems to be at the mercy of whatever is coming in from the IEC receptacle.

I realize it's not a good platform for an audiophile listening setup, but it's what I prefer. I do all my listening while seated in front of this PC so there's no sense in having a music server or dedicated streaming device when it's all sitting right in front of me anyway.

May 11, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #2,548 of 6,792
Schiit Yggdrasil, and it is indeed fed with USB. I have found that cleaner power into the computer has about the same effect as those USB decrapifiers have more or less. The power supply in the PC has good regulation but I doubt it really filters anything that's coming into it for noise. The CPU and critical sections will of course have their own regulation but the 5V supply that powers USB and such seems to be at the mercy of whatever is coming in from the IEC receptacle.

I realize it's not a good platform for an audiophile listening setup, but it's what I prefer. I do all my listening while seated in front of this PC so there's no sense in having a music server or dedicated streaming device when it's all sitting right in front of me anyway.
You can continue to use your PC and SSD drive, but also connect something like a SoTM Ultra Neo to your router and then connect the Neo to the DAC. That's what I do anyway, but obviously there are multiple ways to try and improve computer audio. Head on over to Computer Audiophile, and all the different methods and gadgets there will make setting up a turntable and cart seem like a piece of cake.

May 11, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #2,549 of 6,792
Yeah for some reason the setup side of this stresses me out greatly. Every once in a spell I'll get in the mood to tinker but most of the time I dig my heels in and don't want to touch it because it sets off a series of OCD episodes.

It's not like the system sounds *bad* and I've made great progress in getting rid of the hardness and tizziness I hear in the upper mids, but for the total price spent on all the components present I feel like the setup should have a greater sense of ease and flow than it has. The system has always had a bit of a shouty "in your face" quality to it. My Glenn OTL at work that I used for all my recent 6J5 testing doesn't have the sheer resolution of my home system, but it DOES have that sense of ease and flow to it so I find myself enjoying it more overall.

The other thing I'm messing with right now are cables. I haven't touched them in a long time, so on the one hand there is a certain stability there but also some of the problem could be living there. So I bought a different brand of cable at a similar price point and I've been doing some comparing. What I'm hearing is promising, the new cable seems like an improvement, but I want to slow burn this experiment to make sure it isn't expectation bias at work.

I appreciate the input so far guys. I'm grateful for any advice. I get too stuck in my own head when thinking about this stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back