L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Mar 23, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #2,417 of 6,786
I have sort of an announcement to make - I've decided I will not be continuing with this thread anymore. Furthermore, I won't be spending much time on Head-Fi going forward.

The reasoning is multifactorial, but the primary motivator is that maintaining this thread, as well as the habitual checking of Head-Fi, has become a negative influence and is consuming too much of my personal time. Outside of this thread and two or three other tube-oriented threads, I do not engage much in the community, call me disillusioned I guess. I'm sure it's obvious, but I am primarily interested in DIY audio, not necessarily just headphone audio. The past few days have been sort of a trial run where I turned off all Head-Fi notifications and went cold turkey, and I can honestly say it has been nothing but positive. I've also come to realize that I do not have the patience to build and sell amplifiers in any capacity here.

For now, I won't be doing anything as drastic as deactivating my account (assuming that is possible, I need to check with the mods) as I would be concerned this thread would disappear. I've learned that it has become a learning resource for quite a few people, so I would like it to remain available.

So yeah, that's it, it has been a great run, thank you for everyone who followed along for the past year or so, it will make me sad to see Head-Fiers disappointed in my decision, but it is what's best for me personally. I may check in from time-to-time and see how people are doing, I have met lots of great people on Head-Fi. I will remain active on diyAudio I am certain, but not to the same degree that I have been active here, it just isn't that kind of forum.

Happy to explain my reasoning, but please do not try to change my mind! I think it is time to move on.
Hello @L0rdGwyn I remember a post from a few years ago, when I was told that very cheap valve amplifiers added distortion, but more expensive amplifiers were truly transparent. Just reading a small section of this thread, has flagged up the costs of using the appropriate tubes, plus high quality transformers, plus good quality capacitors etc.
I would be sad to see you go, but your posts represent a valuable knowledge base for future tube enthusiasts. :relaxed:

Mar 23, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #2,418 of 6,786
Sad news indeed. :frowning2:

Best of luck and thanks for sharing your time and efforts with the community.

Mar 25, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #2,419 of 6,786
I have sort of an announcement to make - I've decided I will not be continuing with this thread anymore. Furthermore, I won't be spending much time on Head-Fi going forward.

Keenan, guess I only found out today when Joe told me. I will definitely not stop you because a decision such as this is personal. I myself have such thoughts over the years but I've given up leaving because UntilThen never leaves. It's always until then. :)

Well I just want to thank you and your sister for doing this mock up for me a few years ago when I was still in the GOTL thread. I will always remember Berlin but it will be Odyssey in a few months time.

Take care and all the best. Anytime you want to catch up, just drop me a pm. Cheers UT.

Keenan.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #2,420 of 6,786
Keenan, guess I only found out today when Joe told. I will definitely not stop you because a decision such as this is personal. I myself have such thoughts over the years but I've given up leaving because UntilThen never leaves. It's always until then. :)

Well I just want to thank you and your sister for doing this mock up for me a few years ago when I was still in the GOTL thread. I will always remember Berlin but it will be Odyssey in a few months time.

Take care and all the best. Anytime you want to catch up, just drop me a pm. Cheers UT.

Keenan.jpg
Does the sound change any with the anode caps connected? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Mar 25, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #2,421 of 6,786
Does the sound change any with the anode caps connected? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:
Well D'uh, of course!!!

But for the full dynamic experience, where your teeth rattle in tune with the music, you have to grab both of those connections.
That's when the music comes alive and you can't help but jerk along with the beat. :L3000:
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :ksc75smile:

JJ:L3000:

Mar 25, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #2,422 of 6,786

That's Keenan's masterpiece. Don't you dare connect any cap to the top anode. I'm going to find some way to show it to him when Odyssey build is complete. Then and only then will I connect the top anode cap.

In the meantime, we've work to do. I have to win the US Master this year and you're my caddy. Fortunately or unfortunately.

Mar 25, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #2,423 of 6,786
That's Keenan's masterpiece. Don't you dare connect any cap to the top anode. I'm going to find some way to show it to him when Odyssey build is complete. Then and only then will I connect the top anode cap.

In the meantime, we've work to do. I have to win the US Master this year and you're my caddy. Fortunately or unfortunately.
No worries. I have your driver all tuned for a fast green. If it rains, we're screwed....but I'll get to work on the 3 wood just in case. Putters are for babies. :smile:

Mar 25, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #2,425 of 6,786
Hahaha you're hilarous. No putters ! We go for hole in one.
That's why I like being your caddy even though the pay sucks. Go for the gusto, or just don't go. Well, the Ferrari V-12 you dropped into the golf cart is an allure too (unless it gets wet). :smile:

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #2,426 of 6,786
Just a side note for the people who still want to learn about tubes and amplifiers in general.

There is a book by Morgan Jones of the BBC (Morgan Jones Valve Amplifiers 4th edition) that talks all about tube amps. He talks about the electrical theory, design, testing, and tweaking tube amps to achieve the best possible sound.

It may not be as fun as watching this thread, but when you finish reading the book, you can go start your own tube amp building thread.

Mar 25, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #2,427 of 6,786

@bcowen - this is 2021 buddy. Wireless anode caps!! :smirk:

Mar 25, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #2,428 of 6,786
Mar 25, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #2,430 of 6,786

Users who are viewing this thread

Back