L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Jun 1, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #96 of 4,419
This is not a discount.....in fact, the price without the better usb is more than directly from Shenzhen Audio.

Well it was offered for less when I posted, and for a time afterward. I ordered the DAC with USB upgrade for $1439. Without the upgrade it was then $1395. Hasn't been shipped yet; we'll see.

About "directly": Isn't Shenzhen Audio just a retailer?

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #100 of 4,419
All I can say is the LKS seems less bright than the Oppo but thats on my small pc sound system.

I will run through my main system later.

Was the LKS connected via COAX?

Comparing using USB inputs would be good on both.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #101 of 4,419
Thanks, PitBul34, I have to repeats lots of AB test to grip the differences. My first impression listening through my ASUS sound card and microlab active speakers from my Desk Top computer is, LKS 004 is more dynamic and with better resolutions. It seems OPPO has compromise something for the cost. I may well change my opinion later. Besides, SDAC has many useful functions. But, sonic quality gets primary concern at this moment.

Can you give some on classical music, i.e. violin string quart, not symphonic type?
Do you have a verdict also?

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #102 of 4,419
I listened through my main system and LKS4 is better than Oppo as you would expect. But this is not enough information to make a decision. The price difference means either are value for money. Although we don't have a comparison with the Holo or Benchmark Dac3 which are on a similar level.

Jun 7, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #104 of 4,419
Received the unit today, beautifully packed and in great shape. Apparently held up for a while by Chinese holiday. Tried it through coax with one CD so far, "Breaking Silence." I can't believe the focus of its presentation. I've never heard anything like it from digital on my system. Compared to the Oppo 105 it seems a bit darker. Bass is full, but crisp. Will wait for some break-in before really evaluating.

Just a quick question for anyone with the unit. Just want to verify I got what I should. It lights up "MH-DA004 ES9038PRO" as it should. But I want to verify I received the upgrade USB and tried to remove the top. Took out all the screws, but the top is in so tight I can't get it off. The metal work is all very substantial. Any suggestions? Is there a tool? Any harm in loosening the screws in the back? Or is there a way to verify for now without removing the top? Thanks for any suggestions.

Jun 8, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #105 of 4,419
Finally got the top off. It wasn't easy. Everything looks fine including the upgrade USB. The top and bottom plates are an eighth of an inch thick and (too) carefully fitted. There is no sheet metal on this unit; it's built like a brick. Running the unit for 24 hours the "dark" quality is gone and it sounds fine. Actually it sounds great. Very smooth, VERY dynamic, and the spacial aspects are spectacular. I've just played a couple of classical CDs. Many, many steps above the Oppo. No surprise, but it feels good to confirm. The last time I had this feeling is when I replaced a pretty good transistor phono pre with a very good all tube unit. Not that the sound is the same, but the quality is there. There'll be more breaking in and I'll start putting in some higher resolution files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back