L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Jul 1, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #1,066 of 4,419
anyone tried Fidelizer Nimitra as a source? or buying a gaming board to build myself yield better results?
No. But the spec suggest a low power and therefore low noise approach. Your laptop probably more highly spec. May be ok for straight pcm playback but I dont think the spec is good for upsampling. In any case, the source can do so much. At some point, the dac becomes the weakest link.

Jul 1, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #1,067 of 4,419
Jul 1, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #1,068 of 4,419
Clock is not only important on about with phase noises, there are more. But another important aspect of this is the stability and noises of the powersupply going into the clock. You can buy a clock for cheap, and if you don’t have a good low noises regulating in design, your clock will mostly goes to waste. Yes, with external LPS, it will help to further enhance the Pinkfaun, but the Pinkfaun itself need to also be with a good design. It explains why the Upgraded clock is very expensive :)

a chain is only as strong as its weakest link!

Surely, if you only put the ocxo clock on the pink faun i2s, it will be fighting the inferior clocks on the mainboard and inside the DAC? i.e. the i2s ocxo clock will not perform at its best as it is restricted by the lesser quality clocks within the overall system? Surely ALL the clocks in the system have to be of the same specification? i.e. the poorest/weakest clock within the overall system will govern the total system perfomance? i.e. all clocks must be upgraded to the same specification to gain the overall advantage?

Jul 2, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #1,069 of 4,419

Surely, if you only put the ocxo clock on the pink faun i2s, it will be fighting the inferior clocks on the mainboard and inside the DAC? i.e. the i2s ocxo clock will not perform at its best as it is restricted by the lesser quality clocks within the overall system? Surely ALL the clocks in the system have to be of the same specification? i.e. the poorest/weakest clock within the overall system will govern the total system perfomance? i.e. all clocks must be upgraded to the same specification to gain the overall advantage?
I don't know the answer. I would have thought the clock that governs the audio output (i.e. Pink Faun i2s bridge) is what matters. I note also that the quality of the motherboard clock is not all the same. In general, gaming boards "seems" to have better clock so you can overclock. I think (but I don't really know). For example, the Asus gaming boards has "Pro Clock Technology" https://www.coursehero.com/file/p7n...ded-BCLK-overclocking-range-2nd-Generation-T/. My motherboard Asrock Z370 Taichi actually uses an external clock for more precise clock waveform https://i.redd.it/m6wi53le51jy.png.

Jul 2, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #1,070 of 4,419

The Pinkfaun is switched automatically to OCXO clock when presented, and the same for powersupply if both moles and external are applied. It is called engineering

Jul 2, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #1,072 of 4,419
"and the same for powersupply if both moles and external are applied" ...pardon? doesn't make any sense?
The card has internal Molex connector to tap on into Sata peripheral lines. Or you can connect external via DC. It automatically switch to external connection when both are presented

Jul 3, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #1,073 of 4,419
The card has internal Molex connector to tap on into Sata peripheral lines. Or you can connect external via DC. It automatically switch to external connection when both are presented

OK! ~ I just thought like paul pang: ...

(https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTIMATE...wi0RbJ8x4&clk_rvr_id=1586045733740&rmvSB=true ..."ULTIMATE" OCXO High-End Audiophile Music Server - CAT - PPA Studio PAUL Pang)

... that all clocks should be optimized i.e. no weak links in the clock department! He seems to think that all the clocks should ideally be optimized? OTT?

e.g.
  • OCXO-clock on all internal components (input & output)
  • OCXO-module also on LAN chip for optimal streaming
Paul Pang chose for a new design. In this new streamer his high-end OCXO clock module is attached to ALL internal components. This high-end OCXO-clock module works with:
  • V5 USB-output
  • SSD for music
  • SSD for OS
  • LAN-chip on motherboard
Ultra low jitter OCXO-clock on all components:
  • OCXO on M.2 SATA SSD (OS)
  • OCXO on M.2 SATA SSD (music)
  • OCXO on Paul Pang USB V5 card
  • OCXO on network connection

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #1,076 of 4,419
Each clock is dedicated to it own task. It depends on what you want. Certainly paulpang streamer is a steal.
I read the Paul Pang page. Seems to be a bit of puffery.
Says, "No jitter & timing errors." As I understand it, jitter can be reduced, but not completely eliminated.
Also, it extols the quality of its OCXO clock(s) but doesn't provide the clock's specifications other than "ultra low jitter" (not the fore mentioned "no jitter") which is kind of a meaningless expression used by a lot of low price units of all kinds.

Jul 3, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #1,077 of 4,419
I read the Paul Pang page. Seems to be a bit of puffery.
Says, "No jitter & timing errors." As I understand it, jitter can be reduced, but not completely eliminated.
Also, it extols the quality of its OCXO clock(s) but doesn't provide the clock's specifications other than "ultra low jitter" (not the fore mentioned "no jitter") which is kind of a meaningless expression used by a lot of low price units of all kinds.

Well, when you know your stuff, there is no need to dig out those who is trying to make a living. :) anyways, his products are actually still better in build and price than others.

Jul 4, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #1,078 of 4,419
OK! ~ I just thought like paul pang: ...

(https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTIMATE...wi0RbJ8x4&clk_rvr_id=1586045733740&rmvSB=true ..."ULTIMATE" OCXO High-End Audiophile Music Server - CAT - PPA Studio PAUL Pang)

... that all clocks should be optimized i.e. no weak links in the clock department! He seems to think that all the clocks should ideally be optimized? OTT?

e.g.
  • OCXO-clock on all internal components (input & output)
  • OCXO-module also on LAN chip for optimal streaming
Paul Pang chose for a new design. In this new streamer his high-end OCXO clock module is attached to ALL internal components. This high-end OCXO-clock module works with:
  • V5 USB-output
  • SSD for music
  • SSD for OS
  • LAN-chip on motherboard
Ultra low jitter OCXO-clock on all components:
  • OCXO on M.2 SATA SSD (OS)
  • OCXO on M.2 SATA SSD (music)
  • OCXO on Paul Pang USB V5 card
  • OCXO on network connection
Here is a forum where modders played with clock upgrades www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=3062.0. Some interesting takes.

Jul 4, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #1,079 of 4,419
worth asking LKS about this to see if they concur with you?
I do think the 100Mhz clock inside the lks004 is the element that limit the lks004 performances. What is possible upgrade here ? Pulsar ? I saw someone was about to perform the mod, but he doesn’t post anymore. The board seems to be ready for a Dip-socket type, which make Pulsar mod a huge possibility.

Also wonder if replacing Nichicon fine gold into Audio grade Nichicon capacitors, it may improve the performances too 47mF

worth asking LKS about this to see if they concur with you?
Better, I think, to ask b0bb. He may, though, prefer to answer over on the DA-003 forum which is more of a "modification" forum than this one. IIRC it's a bit more complicated than just exchanging clocks.
I don't think LKS would care to comment on mods of its products; I'm not sure it has ever done so.

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #1,080 of 4,419
Better, I think, to ask b0bb. He may, though, prefer to answer over on the DA-003 forum which is more of a "modification" forum than this one. IIRC it's a bit more complicated than just exchanging clocks.
I don't think LKS would care to comment on mods of its products; I'm not sure it has ever done so.
well, there's one way to find out! (ask jinbo)...

**********************************************************************************

Now wrote to jinbo!

385F0980-4AF0-44C8-8E6E-322F980C6B66.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back