L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Apr 24, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #3,589 of 4,419
My analog power rails are off balance, any way to balance? One channel 14.7 and other one is 15.4v
Luckily that is very easy to adjust, it has an adjustable multiturn resistance for the negative voltage and another for the positive voltage. You should set them for -15.5v and + 15.5v

Attachments

• Inked20210424_194014_LI.jpg
    Inked20210424_194014_LI.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #3,590 of 4,419
Did you allredy notice a sonic difference going from 1,2 to 1,3V ?
I have little to hear it, "I had the 2 engines in the pits, outside the car", they are already installed and clean, now I will also install a CCHD-950X, and a new cooling system for the two 9038pro.
By the way, what do you think of Musetec 005, could you describe its sound with respect to LKS004?

Attachments

• 20210424_212252.jpg
    20210424_212252.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 26, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #3,593 of 4,419
Looks OK, the sense input bias current of the Lt1763 is below 100nA either chosen set of values will work.
The overall lower resistive divider values you proposed has lower impedance which provides lower thermal noise
Hi! I have few capacitors leftover, 6 Amtrans amco 0.22uF and 4 Leclanché Signal path tin foil. also 0.22uF.
Anywhere i could use them in this DAC?:)

Apr 26, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #3,594 of 4,419
I finally got it, the noises have disappeared :beerchug: I don't want to say it too loud because it has cost me sweat and tears. Now it's time to enjoy the music alone, here there are no treble or bass ... only real music, this is on another level, I have some details to finish the play, but now I need to rest, stop and listen for a while and see If the burnout of the clock can still achieve greater realism, this may be the end of the road until a chip superior to the ES9038PRO is invented.
Analog recordings such as the voice of Esther Ofarim "Una matica de ruda" DSD64 are of unusual realism.
The string instruments in song number 14 "String Quintet in C, Op.30 No.6" from the "Master and Commander" cd 44.1khz, are here in my room.
Thank you all for your help and wise advice.

Attachments

• 20210426_231123.jpg
    20210426_231123.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #3,595 of 4,419
Hi! I have few capacitors leftover, 6 Amtrans amco 0.22uF and 4 Leclanché Signal path tin foil. also 0.22uF.
Anywhere i could use them in this DAC?:)
You are using the WIMA polyproplyene (PP) caps in your DAC.
The existing caps you are using are already good.

The Amtrans is made from PET, a worse performing dielectric.

Leclanche is just another PP cap, benefits are incremental over your existing caps,
It is better suited for high power applications like a speaker crossover.
It is too big to fit under the board, you have to decide if it is worth the risk of desoldering the existing caps.

Bigger is definately not better for the DAC in this instance.

Apr 26, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #3,596 of 4,419
I finally got it, the noises have disappeared :beerchug: I don't want to say it too loud because it has cost me sweat and tears. Now it's time to enjoy the music alone, here there are no treble or bass ... only real music, this is on another level, I have some details to finish the play, but now I need to rest, stop and listen for a while and see If the burnout of the clock can still achieve greater realism, this may be the end of the road until a chip superior to the ES9038PRO is invented.
Analog recordings such as the voice of Esther Ofarim "Una matica de ruda" DSD64 are of unusual realism.
The string instruments in song number 14 "String Quintet in C, Op.30 No.6" from the "Master and Commander" cd 44.1khz, are here in my room.
Thank you all for your help and wise advice.
Good job and congratulations ! ✨✨

I notice that you've replaced the Accusilicon XO.
How did you mount the CCHD-950X ?
The CCHD-950X pad is not far enough to reach the eyelet/donut, do you have wires underneath the pads ?

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #3,597 of 4,419
Good job and congratulations ! ✨✨

I notice that you've replaced the Accusilicon XO.
How did you mount the CCHD-950X ?
The CCHD-950X pad is not far enough to reach the eyelet/donut, do you have wires underneath the pads ?
Thanks
Install it like this: solder the 2 pins VCC and OUT to the smd pads of the old clock with a fine tip soldering iron, and since the GND pad is not visible to be able to solder, extend it to the outside with a microwire, below there is kapton tape to avoid short circuit and give some mechanical damping.

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #3,598 of 4,419
You are using the WIMA polyproplyene (PP) caps in your DAC.
The existing caps you are using are already good.

The Amtrans is made from PET, a worse performing dielectric.

Leclanche is just another PP cap, benefits are incremental over your existing caps,
It is better suited for high power applications like a speaker crossover.
It is too big to fit under the board, you have to decide if it is worth the risk of desoldering the existing caps.

Bigger is definately not better for the DAC in this instance.
Thank you b0bb. I will try to use them in my speakers or power amp boards.

Apr 28, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #3,600 of 4,419
I have little to hear it, "I had the 2 engines in the pits, outside the car", they are already installed and clean, now I will also install a CCHD-950X, and a new cooling system for the two 9038pro.
By the way, what do you think of Musetec 005, could you describe its sound with respect to LKS004?
I listened to the Musetec 005 with my critical listening music, and kept switching back and forth between the 004 and the 005.
I used exactly the same settings and setup for both DAC's. Power supply runs over a designated isolation transformer.
Digital content was supplied by the I2S-H input coming from a SU-6 running on Battery.

Sonic difference:
I must say that i was a little bit scared prior to this test. Modding the 004 took so much time and effort.
But the result was quite pleasing. My modded 004 sounded just a little bit better. Bass was a little bit more refined and transparent then with the 005.
I would say, the 005 sounds "EXACTLY" like my 004 without my first relay fix / Mod.

To validate my findings, I took the 005 to a friends house. He also has a very very good setup with a 004 that only has the power supply caps upgraded.
Power supply is a PS Audio P10. Digital content was supplied by the I2S-H input coming from a SU-1.
The difference was quite large. Every sonic feature was etlest one or two classes better then with the slightly modified 004.

My Conclusion:
For those of you that have a highly modified 004 it would be a step back infesting in a 005. ( makes me very happy ) :wink:
For those of you that have only a moderat modified 004, investing in a 005 might be a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back