Kumitate (くみたて) Lab: A Triumph and Celebration of DIY - Impressions Thread
May 8, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #231 of 376
Introducing the Kumitate Lab “NEXT 5” series
1.jpg
The first lineup of the ”NEXT 5" series consists of the three models KL-CORONA, KL-METEO and KL-SIRIUS. Besides delivering CIEM at an affordable price, the "NEXT 5" series also aim to provide great sound, design, quality and service to the customers throughout the entire stage of ordering. Based off what I read from their website (through google translate), Kumitate Lab is also offering the orderer of the “NEXT 5” models a "rented demo set" of the ordered model in universal unit from the date of order till the IEM delivery date as a form of "Previewer Pre-Delivery service” for their customers. More details will come later, but I believe this will most probably be available in Japan only. This strikes me as a really top-notch customer service coming from Kumitate Lab, because CIEM order won’t have to wait through the 2-3 months long building period before they get to experience the iem. But also because the previewer demo unit is limited so the models orders will also be capped till they are able to produce more demo units. As of now the both the KL-METEO and KL-SIRIUS were unavailable for ordering on the site, while previously the KL-CORONA was “sold out” last week as well.

Moving on to my simple impression of the iems that I had a chance to experience during the FUJIYA-AVIC headphone festival.
2.jpg

KL-CORONA
Smooth, natural tuning and very well balanced. I think that its great for acoustic songs. Ideal iem choice for people looking for an entry level ciem with great price-performance value.

KL-METEO
I tried the first set with the default cable. Once I put this on, I was astonished by the bass. It hits really deep and rumble hard, however it does sound slightly heavy to me. Later when I head back to the booth again, I had a chance to try another set with the prototype tin-plated copper cable. This time round the highs seemed to have open up abit, with less interference from the rumbling bass. Later on, I switched to the Erde cable (Ito-san personally recommends KL-METEO with Erde cable) with 4.4mm balanced out from my WM1A. Everything is really perfect now. The bass range coming from the dual ba bass drivers is really unique and exquisite yet the same time being able to maintain and not mask the clarity of the mids-highs. Electronic, rock, techno and dance tracks all these genres performed excellent on KL-METEO. For people who crave the minute details and rumble of bass, you definitely have to try the KL-METEO out one day if there’s a chance.

KL-SIRIUS
Resolving and neutral iem, the tuning slightly reminded me of the KL-REF Type-S minus the dynamic bass. But the bass is still sufficient and generally producing a very natural clear and sparkling tuning. Perfect iem choice for treble lovers.

Bonus Pictures:
One and only KL-WRAITH (dual dynamic drivers shelled in silver housing)
3.jpg 4.jpg

24 drivers KL-THANATOS
5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

May 10, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #233 of 376
KL-METEO order accepted via email. I declined the demo unit, since I know what it sounds like and have plenty of IEMs already.

Colors, I went with almost exactly the same as their white/blue face plate and red/purple/blue canal sample photo, with some minor changes.

For under a grand, you really can't pass this up. These guys rock!

Now we wait...

May 30, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #236 of 376
May 31, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #237 of 376
Actually, that looks bloody sick. I didn't know the Trio came in custom form. What was the price?
http://www.kumitatelab.com/trio-custom-earpiece/
Not exactly a custom Trio, but custom sleeves for Trio. Price is 32,400 Yen.

What I really liked about Kumitate Lab is many of their interesting new initiatives. Besides the NEXT 5 Lineup (that rented out universal demo of the to purchasers of METEO, SIRIUS or CORONA till the date of delivery of their custom iem), currently they have a listener demo program that allowed residents in japan to rent any one model from their current lineup (with a deposit fee of 10,000 yen which will be returned at the end of the demo-ing period).

Jun 10, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #239 of 376
They look really nice. I'm glad for their initiative to release a more affordable lineup. I hope they'll also sell the universal model :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back