Kuala Lumpur International AV Show (KLIAV) 2018 Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #47 of 75
I am getting 25 hours with 96 kilohertz 24bit files and little screen use. This is with it only charge to 90%. That is extremely difficult to top.
Yes, that's the inherent advantage of using a class D amp. It doesn't have parasitic drain like class A or class A/B amps, doesn't need a DAC and has upwards of 80% efficiency which saves a lot of power.

Class A and A/B amps have only around 20% and 50% efficiency in comparison. High end dacs use a lot of power too, double if 2 are used.

Aug 24, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #48 of 75
wm1a (and i guess wm1z too) battery is more like 20-25 hours guys

so whoever compares it with a 7-hour battery DAP as being close , is just fooling himself on the matter of battery endurance

Aug 24, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #49 of 75
wm1a (and i guess wm1z too) battery is more like 20-25 hours guys

so whoever compares it with a 7-hour battery DAP as being close , is just fooling himself on the matter of battery endurance
Worst case against worse case scenario. With both playing DSD

Aug 24, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #50 of 75
i am a 16/44 guy so i would probably get a 25/8 ratio

no contest for me at least.

Aug 24, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #51 of 75
i am a 16/44 guy so i would probably get a 25/8 ratio

no contest for me at least.
I think you'd be blowing past 30 hours with just 16/44 files :joy:

So triple the battery life.

Aug 24, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #52 of 75
Worst case against worse case scenario. With both playing DSD
You can also look at it from a general use point of view. Correct me if I am wrong, but the WM1A, 1Z and even the ZX300 are pure music players, right? Whereas some of the others are Android-based with WiFi, App store, streaming, etc., and in that case I would imagine that the average battery life is reduced quickly when making use of those features. To me it would make sense to offer Sony-type battery life on DAPs that have as many features as some phones. But then again, I am not really into that sort of stuff, so perhaps people who use it are also used to constantly charging their gear.

I recently read complaints about Sony not being in tune with modern gadgets, but I think Sony's approach is really sensible. I don't see any need for an app that will allow me to operate my DAP with my phone. That's just me though.

Oh, and another awesome Sony feature that is sorely missed on many others: A proper lock button. I can't fully lock my AK70 and it was the first feature I really missed when I switched. Such a simple thing, but oh so useful.

(Just some thoughts, but I guess it is clear that I have been missing Sony lately. :wink: )

Aug 24, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #53 of 75
You can also look at it from a general use point of view. Correct me if I am wrong, but the WM1A, 1Z and even the ZX300 are pure music players, right? Whereas some of the others are Android-based with WiFi, App store, streaming, etc., and in that case I would imagine that the average battery life is reduced quickly when making use of those features. To me it would make sense to offer Sony-type battery life on DAPs that have as many features as some phones. But then again, I am not really into that sort of stuff, so perhaps people who use it are also used to constantly charging their gear.

I recently read complaints about Sony not being in tune with modern gadgets, but I think Sony's approach is really sensible. I don't see any need for an app that will allow me to operate my DAP with my phone. That's just me though.

Oh, and another awesome Sony feature that is sorely missed on many others: A proper lock button. I can't fully lock my AK70 and it was the first feature I really missed when I switched. Such a simple thing, but oh so useful.

(Just some thoughts, but I guess it is clear that I have been missing Sony lately. :wink: )

Sony's reasoning for the lack of extra functionality is that it's not worth the workarounds they'd have to implement to preserve sound quality. They technically could add a Wi-Fi module, develop a whole new OS, etc., but they figured that those features would neither be worth the detriments to sound quality nor the extra R&D to make those compromises disappear. Personally, I've never used streaming apps or anything like that, so there's definitely an audience for Sony's relatively more barebones approach to DAP development.

Aug 24, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #54 of 75

I wouldn't mind all those missing features if a DAP truly delivered on sound. I even considered getting an Aune M2 Pro at one point but sadly it was overhyped.

Ended up getting the N5ii because it sounded better. Not because of its features.

Aug 24, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #55 of 75
Sony's reasoning for the lack of extra functionality is that it's not worth the workarounds they'd have to implement to preserve sound quality. They technically could add a Wi-Fi module, develop a whole new OS, etc., but they figured that those features would neither be worth the detriments to sound quality nor the extra R&D to make those compromises disappear. Personally, I've never used streaming apps or anything like that, so there's definitely an audience for Sony's relatively more barebones approach to DAP development.
That is true. Class D amps are far more prone to interference due to their digital nature. And it wouldn't make sense to just throw all the R&D put into their s-master hx system and switch to a different class of amp.

I also not a fan of streaming apps. I like to have my collection on hand and ready to be enjoyed.

Personally I wouldn't mind sacrificing all the extras which I already have on my phone for better sound quality. But, it would be a nice extra still.

I particularly like the fact I can use my N3 as a Bluetooth dac/amp for my phone.

Aug 24, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #56 of 75
I wouldn't mind all those missing features if a DAP truly delivered on sound. I even considered getting an Aune M2 Pro at one point but sadly it was overhyped.

Ended up getting the N5ii because it sounded better. Not because of its features.
Have you seen/heard the N5iiS yet? I have been very curious about the N5ii because of its price point, which is a little more friendly because I live in expensive times. The N5iiS seems like an even better option because I love that type of build quality (a brick) and the price is still pretty decent.

Aug 24, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #57 of 75
Have you seen/heard the N5iiS yet?
Yes I have :D

20180817_184920.jpg

20180817_184931.jpg

20180817_184958.jpg

20180817_185012.jpg

Aug 24, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #58 of 75
I have been very curious about the N5ii because of its price point, which is a little more friendly because I live in expensive times.
It sounds THE best in its price range. Beating out everything under 500 dollars and generally plays around the AK70ii ballpark.

Aug 24, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #59 of 75
It sounds THE best in its price range. Beating out everything under 500 dollars and generally plays around the AK70ii ballpark.
Thanks! I will keep it on my "to demo" list. Or if I get too frustrated with my AK70 and have a little money left I might just pick one up because... you know... Head-fi. :D

Aug 24, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #60 of 75
The N5iiS seems like an even better option because I love that type of build quality (a brick) and the price is still pretty decent.
In terms of value, no. I have demoed the N5iiS and it is still on the same level as the N5ii. It sounds a little warmer imo.

At its original price of 369, it is undisputed but at 500 dollars it faces stiff competition against the DX150. I've demoed it and just like the N5ii, it is king in its price range. So when it comes to sq the DX150 has the N5iiS beat in terms of bang for buck.

At stock, it sounds just a little better compared to the N5ii/N5iiS but its also upgradable so that's a really nice bonus.

Other than sound. The N5iiS is FAR smoother and snappier to use. The DX150 slows down noticeably the deeper you go inside a folder (ie: folders inside folders inside folders...... )which is a problem for people who meticulously sort their folders (like me :wink: ). The N5iiS has 2 microsd slots which is a huge plus to me. Sizewise the N5ii is definitely nicer to hold while the DX150 feels bulky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back