Kuala Lumpur International AV Show (KLIAV) 2018 Impressions Thread
Aug 21, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #31 of 75
Anybody buy anything at the AV show?

I got me this beauty

20180807_133022.jpg

Aug 21, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #32 of 75
Anybody buy anything at the AV show?

I got me this beauty

Nope. Or more accurately, not yet lol. Time to regroup, sell some stuff and gather much-needed resources.

Aug 22, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #33 of 75
Great write-up. I am currently going back and forth as to whether save for the Cayin N8 digital audio player or the Sony NW - WM1Z. Currently, I've been really loving the Questyle QP1R with the AKG K812 headphones. That is an amazing combination, but I really also have a soft spot for my Sony NW - WM1A. I use it with Shure SRH1540 headphones. For some reason I feel a little more comfortable buying the gold Sony.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #34 of 75
Great write-up. I am currently going back and forth as to whether save for the Cayin N8 digital audio player or the Sony NW - WM1Z. Currently, I've been really loving the Questyle QP1R with the AKG K812 headphones. That is an amazing combination, but I really also have a soft spot for my Sony NW - WM1A. I use it with Shure SRH1540 headphones.
Id pick the N8 in a heartbeat. The N8 is a league above in all aspects of sound.

The only reason I can think of to get the WM1Z instead would be for longer battery life (7.5 hours vs 11 hours)

Aug 22, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #35 of 75
Id pick the N8 in a heartbeat. The N8 is a league above in all aspects of sound.

The only reason I can think of to get the WM1Z instead would be for longer battery life (7.5 hours vs 11 hours)

Thank you for your response. I am trying to collect all the pro and con responses I can get. I love hearing from people who have heard both players.

Aug 22, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #36 of 75
Thank you for your response. I am trying to collect all the pro and con responses I can get. I love hearing from people who have heard both players.
Quick question, do you prefer the tonality of the balanced output or the single ended output of your WM1A?

Aug 22, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #37 of 75
Quick question, do you prefer the tonality of the balanced output or the single ended output of your WM1A?

I much prefer the balanced output. To me there is better separation between instruments, a bigger soundstage, greater detail, and way more power. I really love the tonality of my Sony, but I am somewhat treble adverse since my stroke. It didn't change my hearing much, but it did make me a little bit more sensitive to high frequency.

Aug 22, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #38 of 75
I much prefer the balanced output. To me there is better separation between instruments, a bigger soundstage, greater detail, and way more power. I really love the tonality of my Sony, but I am somewhat treble adverse since my stroke. It didn't change my hearing much, but it did make me a little bit more sensitive to high frequency.
Then you'll be better off with the N8.

Oddly, the tonality of the Sony players goes like this

Neutral(relatively speaking):
WM1A balanced, WM1Z SE

Warm: WM1A SE, WM1Z Balanced

So basically it swaps.

Unless you are in love with the tonality of the WM1A SE/WM1Z balanced, the N8 will sound better.

Aug 22, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #39 of 75
Then you'll be better off with the N8.

Oddly, the tonality of the Sony players goes like this

Neutral(relatively speaking):
WM1A balanced, WM1Z SE

Warm: WM1A SE, WM1Z Balanced

So basically it swaps.

Unless you are in love with the tonality of the WM1A SE/WM1Z balanced, the N8 will sound better.

Thanks

Aug 23, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #40 of 75
Out of everything I've seen/heard, the only thing that impressed me was the Kurada headphones. For being such an open styled headphones, they isolate surprisingly well when the music is playing.
The rest was the same old boring usual stuffs. Quite like the LCD-2C's build quality, sound was not bad except for the wonky highs. Electric guitar sounded weird for some old rock/metal songs.

Aug 23, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #41 of 75
Great write-up. I am currently going back and forth as to whether save for the Cayin N8 digital audio player or the Sony NW - WM1Z. Currently, I've been really loving the Questyle QP1R with the AKG K812 headphones. That is an amazing combination, but I really also have a soft spot for my Sony NW - WM1A. I use it with Shure SRH1540 headphones. For some reason I feel a little more comfortable buying the gold Sony.
I find that after getting used to the Sony battery life it's hard to look at other DAPs.

Aug 23, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #42 of 75
I find that after getting used to the Sony battery life it's hard to look at other DAPs.
It depends on use actually. I typically use my Daps about 6-8 hours daily. And usually I'll have access to a powerbank so as long as battery life isn't atrocious (3-4 hours), it's fine. Weight is more of a concern for me.

My father who does long hauls prefers daps with around 10-12 hours of battery life.

Aug 23, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #43 of 75
Couldn't agree more. I went from Sony to A&K and I quite regret doing that, as I am constantly charging my AK70 and longingly drooling over images of the WM1A and 1Z. I don't get why no other manufacturer is able to get close to Sony, while they state in bold "long battery life" when offering half of what Sony can do.

Aug 23, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #44 of 75
It depends on use actually. I typically use my Daps about 6-8 hours daily. And usually I'll have access to a powerbank so as long as battery life isn't atrocious (3-4 hours), it's fine. Weight is more of a concern for me.

My father who does long hauls prefers daps with around 10-12 hours of battery life.
I listen probably an hour a day, and love that I only need to charge the Sony every two weeks lol

Couldn't agree more. I went from Sony to A&K and I quite regret doing that, as I am constantly charging my AK70 and longingly drooling over images of the WM1A and 1Z. I don't get why no other manufacturer is able to get close to Sony, while they state in bold "long battery life" when offering half of what Sony can do.
Sony needs to share its battery special sauce. It can move the whole industry forward!

Aug 23, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #45 of 75
I listen probably an hour a day, and love that I only need to charge the Sony every two weeks lol

Sony needs to share its battery special sauce. It can move the whole industry forward!
It's not more battery, it's better efficiency. It uses less power compared to other Daps due to its class D amp section.

However, it does output significantly less power compared to most higher end Daps.

As you can see

IMG_20180427_193018.jpg

The output of the WM1Z has just a smidgen more power (volume matched on high gain) compared to the N5ii which has 150mw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back