KT88/6SN7 tube amp?
Oct 22, 2008 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

UWisconsin77

Banned
Hey, I was just searching for a tube-pre on eBay and stumbled upon this little guy.

RELYON KT88 Valve Tube Headphone Amplifier class A bk ! - eBay (item 120175268947 end time Nov-16-08 15:00:00 PST)

To my knowledge, the only other tube to use these tubes is the legendary Cary 300SEI (I think I have the right model number). I am intrigued by the KT88's and the 6SN7 tube has millions of options. So tube rolling wise, it looks promising, however the only downfall I see, is that it works with 300-600 Ohm headphones.

Well, my question really, can "this" amp, handle low ohm headphones as well? I have read that using high-ohm headphones on a low-ohm amp, can degrade the sound, so I was wondering if using low-ohm headphones on this amp, degrade the sound-quality?

For the price, I might take a chance, but I thought I'd ask around here, to see what others have to say.

Thanks..
beerchug.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 6
I have the EL34 version of it. Skylab bought a similar version too. Mine hums.

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 6
Its using the modern New Sensor corp. reissues, isn't it?

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #5 of 6
There are LOTS of problems with that amp. To wit:

1. It *says* it uses 6SN7 driver tubes, but in fact, it uses 6SJ7's, which are clearly what are pictured. The 6SJ7GT is used in the Darkvoice 337 and is a good sounding tube, and is fairly cheap, but IMO it does not sound as good as the 6SN7, and certainly has fewer variants.

2. My version, which used an odd beam-power tube, also hummed. When I tried to replace the odd Chinese power tubes with what I thought was a suitable NOS/western equivalent, I blew it up. In looking into this, the caps in the amp were cheap, poor quality, and not even up to the spec printed on the circuit board.

3. Good KT88 or 6550 tubes are expensive - and putting them in this amp is dangerous, IMO, unless you upgrade the caps.

4. Then there is the shipping cost. OUCH - $550 for this amp with shipping? NO WAY is it worth it.

BTW, I got mine for $19.99, plus the "shipping" cost, so I was $200 delivered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back