KSC75 -- Wow.
Sep 14, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #46 of 126
modifications of the ksc-75 have begun, and are thusfar successfull.

to ensure that the drivers were well broken in and not likely to blow out anytime soon i played music at "disturbing levels" (according to people outside of my bedroom) for a decent bit of time. i then played music at WAY above average listening levels overnight.

the headphones were used at my place of work all day. they preformed as expected, save for the lack of bass.

so i did to these what i did to my koss a-130's.

Sep 14, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #47 of 126
I just got my KSC75s and WOW! These are incredible... I'd been using Sennheiser MX400 buds with my iPod as my portable rig and lately have been generally unsatisfied with the sound (they were great when I first bought them, but all I'd heard up to that point were iBuds!). After picking up some Sennheiser HD555s, I've become a lot more picky about my headphones... and the KSC75s have definitely replaced the MX400s for my mobile rig (although, the K81DJ is on its way, so I may alternate between the two). I can't believe such a sound is available for $12, so incredible
eggosmile.gif

Sep 16, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #49 of 126
So far I'm liking the sparkly treble on these... I've been using my Koss SportaPro's mostly, which have better (or more overpowering should I say?) bass, but not as much detail at the high end of the range.
I've been using the SportaPro's for about 4 years now and they sound much better than when I first got them. Do the KSC75's also take a while to "burn in?"

Sep 16, 2006 at 10:09 AM Post #51 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghiberti
check out the creature of little insanity
biggrin.gif

2-1.jpg

That's a classy looking recable!

Sep 16, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #52 of 126
I think I can contribute to more insanity....I had one pair re-cabled by Drew with a Blue Dragon and one By Zach of Enigma Audio with all silver!! I just love the sound from both.......really over the top, huh?????

Sep 17, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #53 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghiberti
check out the creature of little insanity
biggrin.gif

That looks really good. I like the sleek look. Looks so much better than the default cables too. How long does recabling take anyway? What kind of tools do you need to do this?

Sep 17, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #54 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldrogers
That looks really good. I like the sleek look. Looks so much better than the default cables too. How long does recabling take anyway? What kind of tools do you need to do this?

Yep insanity hahahaha. If you are keen, get yourself a Solder Gun first, some simple toolkits like Jackknife or Cutter (MUST!), Solder Wires (go silver if you can afford them), Small Sized screwdrivers (for prying things up
biggrin.gif
).

Onec you have the tools, go buy yourself some good audio cables, look for Canare Range for a start - I recommend Canare StarQuad series (21AWG). And invest some $ on good quality plugs from Switchcraft, Neutrik or Canare.

THEN, head to Head-Fi D.I.Y section and spend time reading the tips posted there.....before long you will have your can recabled!...errr and another thing, Google out on "Soldering Advise" to get that super neat flat solder - this will be one of the most crucial part.

And at later stage, you may want to step it up to Cardas stuffs
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 17, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #55 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN
Yep insanity hahahaha. If you are keen, get yourself a Solder Gun first, some simple toolkits like Jackknife or Cutter (MUST!), Solder Wires (go silver if you can afford them), Small Sized screwdrivers (for prying things up
biggrin.gif
).

Onec you have the tools, go buy yourself some good audio cables, look for Canare Range for a start - I recommend Canare StarQuad series (21AWG). And invest some $ on good quality plugs from Switchcraft, Neutrik or Canare.

THEN, head to Head-Fi D.I.Y section and spend time reading the tips posted there.....before long you will have your can recabled!...errr and another thing, Google out on "Soldering Advise" to get that super neat flat solder - this will be one of the most crucial part.

And at later stage, you may want to step it up to Cardas stuffs
evil_smiley.gif

I just took a look at your PortaPro recable pic. Are the cables a bit stiff? They look a bit stiff...kinda like USB cables, or Ethernet cables. How much does recabling hurt the portability?

Sep 17, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #56 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldrogers
I just took a look at your PortaPro recable pic. Are the cables a bit stiff? They look a bit stiff...kinda like USB cables, or Ethernet cables. How much does recabling hurt the portability?

Yea, I choose the SQ over portability route. But Canare StarQuad is blessed with superb flexibilty tho despite the size, they bend gracefully and don't get tangled - and I am a fan of fat cables
basshead.gif

Notice also that the cable length is actually just under 1 metre - that's for maximum portability meant for lugging around. But they are not forgiving if compared to the original KOSS cables. I have no qualms at all carrying them about - yea that's insanity.

Sep 17, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #57 of 126
Aww... it's going for 24.99 USD at Radio Shack now...

Sep 18, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #58 of 126
Yeah, very dissappointing. I went in to pick up some KSC75s for myself and my father, and it's true, they're now $24.99. The Radio Shack Dude explained that there had been a sale, but it was now over, tough luck for me, and then tried to sell me some $99 Sony noise cancelling earbuds. <sigh> At least the Koss are still cheap on amazon.

Oct 6, 2006 at 9:09 AM Post #59 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger.McMurphy
Some guy even wanted a comparison between the KSC75 and the HD555. WOW! That's a little too much!
biggrin.gif

I prefer my KSC75 over a HD555 for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
amp-up / source-up and the differences become more obvious.

Portable PCDP: Sony D465 or Philips AZ6831; Portable amp: DIY 18V (LM833 x 2 + LM675 x 2)
Result: an already truly great headphone. Topnotch clarity, just everything seems right (on well recorded music). Soundstage wize, you don't feel yourself in the room, but that's not necessary at all. I don't want a full surround feeling, but rather have a slight left-right effect, though some recordings are too weird. You hear every note clearly, and the vibrations around them. Vibrations add to the 3rd dimension feeling.

Now for a comparison to the home setup, a Marantz CDP and speaker amp. Slightly different soundsignature, but nothing superior besides an addition of power. I actually prefer the portable setup. No headphone I've heard comes close to the KSC75. This seems a very overexaggerated statement to many of you guys here, but this is how I feel. You don't have the feeling something rests on your head while listening through a KSC75, and that's what a headphone is meant to do.

Oct 6, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #60 of 126
My KSC75 arrived yesterday, all I can say is really... WOW!
580smile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Wonderful sound, i think it's up until 100-150 $ in competition.
blink.gif
cool.gif

The man who engineerend that little clip-on IMHO have clear in his mind two things: 1) the excitement of live music 2) how to design a supra-aural headphone.

If Koss is so good to produce such a sound for 30 $, what will be a "top" supra-aural headphone by Koss?

bye
Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back