KSC75 - Do they sound like Grados @ stock?
Mar 30, 2006 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
Lately I've noticed, after having the 75s for a few weeks, that the highs seem to be on the bright side, and the bass is bit muffled. I can't imagine (or I don't want to) the sound if I applied the 'quarter mod' to them!
eek.gif

So, are all Grados bright? I'm thinking I'll try the 325i's, then if I like them, propel up to the RS-1. My only fear of these well-loved headphones is that they will be EXCEPTIONALLY bright.

Thanks for hearing out my concern, and tell me what you hear through your Grados.

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #2 of 13
U in San Jose?

PM me if you like and we can hook up during my lunch break.

I dont have an SR325 though.... RS1, HF1, MS1, MS2

Garrett

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #4 of 13
Woah snap lol yes, I do live in San Jose...I'll PM you and see what happens!

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #6 of 13
lol I just ordered a pair of AKG K701s...can't go back now
icon10.gif

Besides, the 75s are only $20...the 650 is wayyy more in terms of cost (waulity I can't speak of, since I never heard it).

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #7 of 13
I agree that the KSC-75 is a bit on the bright side in stock condition, and the bass is a little muffled because of the distance from driver to ear. Overall, it's pretty balanced though. With the quarter-hole mod, I found the highs to be unbelievably bright and aggressive. They actually made my ears hurt after a little while.

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #8 of 13
^ Yes, I recall a past post of yours saying that on a different topic. I have all the bases covered
icon10.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #9 of 13
Have you tried your 75's amped? It really smooths the whole sound out. The bass becomes more detailed and, depending on the amp, even more extended. The highs are also tamed just enough, without out adding any veil. You might also try the KSC35 as it has a warmer sound than the 75.

Mar 30, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
Have you tried your 75's amped? It really smooths the whole sound out. The bass becomes more detailed and, depending on the amp, even more extended. The highs are also tamed just enough, without out adding any veil. You might also try the KSC35 as it has a warmer sound than the 75.

I've been a/bing my KSC50 and KSC75 at work the past week or so. The 50s have always hurt my ears after extended listening, and while I can't say the 75s are awesome, they aren't chafing my ears like the 50s and causing blisters.

Anyway....I do think the 50 is warmer then the 75, but I also find the sound to be more confining. The 75s sound a lot more open, and I find this to be because of the crispness that they have on the highs. I don't find either phone to be particularly boomy, but I find that although it is not technically so, the 50 gives me more of a mental picture of having more bass because they do not have the brightness that the 75s do.

I find that for myself, a lot of what some people consider to sound like warmth in cheaper equipment, I find to be more of a muddy lack of high end response.

As to the Grado comment. I only have Grado SR60s, and I find, like most, that the mids and highs are upfront on these phones. Many people find that they do not have enough bass. If I agree, it's ever so slightly, as I feel that they have basically the right amount of bass, but am curious to hear the low end Alessandros to see how they agree with my ears.

I definitely am a fan of the Grado sound, but then the music I tend to listen to is not particularly bass heavy, and the SR-60s are the only boutique headphones I've ever owned.

I incidentally listen to my phones either direct from an iPod min or a TBAAM soundcard that I carry with me to work.

Bill

What would be a lower priced entry point to the "Senn sound"?

Mar 30, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #12 of 13
If you find KSC-75s too bright, you will find all Grados too bright as well.

However, the bass on Grados is anything but muddy. It is impactful and fast sounding. This is something that you will not get with the Sennheiser PX100 which I found to have slow, undefined bass.

Mar 30, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus

Good statement. I've found just my little CMoy mint tin can make a difference. They are pretty good otherwise, but improve a lot more than you think they would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back