KSC35/iPod=Bass?
Mar 30, 2005 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Beach123456

1000+ Head-Fier
I have the KSC-35s and will be getting a 4g 20gig iPod in 1-2 weeks. I have heard about the iPod having a lack of bass, but I have never listened to one. I was hoping that the KSC-35s would have enough bass to balance out the lack of iPod bass, can anyone comment on the amount of bass I would get with this setup? Im not using an amp.

Mar 30, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 13
I have both the KSC35 and PortaPro2 with an iPod. The 35's are not as bassy as the PortaPro's even though they have the same driver. That being said I think the 35's sound quite good with the iPod and balance it out a bit. Try it and see how you like the combo and if you need mo' Bass get the PortaPro 2's and if you want mo' betta bass get the EX71's but you'll lose high end.

Mar 30, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #4 of 13
There. Is. No. Lack. Of. Bass. In. iPod. Sound.

Go tell all your friends. The bass on iPod is not bloated as maybe on other players, the overall sound-signature of the iPod is *neutral*. There is plenty of bass if you choose the right phones.

Can we make this a sticky please?

With the KSC-35 you should have lots of fun bass. It's been a while since I listened to them, but they hold a very sweet spot in my memory. Nice & fun, plenty of boom. If you want MORE (way too much for my taste) bass then go for the PortaPro, but the bass on that one it totally out of proportion.

Mar 30, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
There. Is. No. Lack. Of. Bass. In. iPod. Sound.

Regarding the Shuffle, this is correct.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Go tell all your friends. The bass on iPod is not bloated as maybe on other players, the overall sound-signature of the iPod is *neutral*.

...there is a better word he can use: anemic.

Mar 30, 2005 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 13
Note: The KSCs will distort if you push it enough with the iPod (both on the bass side and the highs. Listening to a lot of rap music led me to this).
Try using a 75ohm adapter, much more controlled bass/highs but the downside is less volume.

Mar 30, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by rreynol
KSC-75 + 75 Ohm adaptor + Amp yields very nice bass and plenty of volume.

I think i said in my original post i will not have access to an amp. Thanks for all the responses guys, obviously i heard wrong about a lack of bass. The KSC-35 has plenty of bass for me, I think any more than that would start to sound a little too bloated and boomy.

Mar 31, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
I think i said in my original post i will not have access to an amp. Thanks for all the responses guys, obviously i heard wrong about a lack of bass. The KSC-35 has plenty of bass for me, I think any more than that would start to sound a little too bloated and boomy.

Yeah, I read your post. I was merely making the suggestion since someone mentioned using a 75 ohm adaptor, meaning you'll be cranking the volume higher than you would without.

Mar 31, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
Thanks for all the responses guys, obviously i heard wrong about a lack of bass.

You definitely did not hear wrong about the Ipod's lack of bass. Someone who likes the amount of bass you hear when the instruments are played live will find the Ipod bass deficient.

Yes, the bass is there, but it's disproportionately low.

Apr 1, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
You definitely did not hear wrong about the Ipod's lack of bass. Someone who likes the amount of bass you hear when the instruments are played live will find the Ipod bass deficient.

How about this - what is one person's "neutral" is another person's "deficient". I have never found them deficient, but perhaps that is attributable to my choice of headphones - Beyer 770-80s.

And, while you are certainly right that those anticipating/wanting an amount of bass equal to a live concert will be disappointed, such would be true of virtually any DAP/headphone combo one could purchase.

Apr 1, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #13 of 13
My main point was just to say ignore those who claim that bass deficiency isn't a possible issue....it is. Not that I don't really like my Ipod anyway, I do.

On the live concert front, I was speaking to the proportion of bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back