KSC-75, iGrado or PX100/200?
Nov 29, 2007 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

meepror

New Head-Fier
Which do you reckon performs best?
Which do you reckon leaks the least sound?
Which do you reckon is most comfortable?

Admission: I have a rather big head with lots of hair on top.
redface.gif

Nov 29, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 30
I have the KSC75's and the PX100's

performs the best - PX100 IMO
leaks the least - probably a tie (both open)
most comfortable - Again PX100 IMO

AS a disclaimer I must admit that in the areas where I find PX100's better, it is by a slim margin. Both are really nice portables.

Nov 29, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by A3C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the sound of KSC75 over PX100 but the latter are more comfy.

I think the 75s sound better and are more comfortable.

Nov 29, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 30
if the PX200 fits your ears it has the least leakage of all those headphones. I have them the iGrado's and the KSC75's i prefer the KSC75's but the PX200's are great for isolation.

Nov 29, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 30
Based on sound the KSC75's are in the lead; followed by the PX100's with no votes for the iGrados.

Going with comfort the PX100's are in the lead followed by the KSC75's and with no votes for the iGrados.

And the PX200's obviously in the lead for isolation as the other 3 are open designs..

Any more opinions? I suppose I'll monitor this topic for another day and make my purchase tomorrow evening.

For those who said the PX100's are all that; what makes you think so? I tested these at a local store and didn't think the sound they produced was all that special... and they were connected to a hi-fi source to boot! I seem to remember that they didn't really stand out amongst the other Sennheisers on display and even failed themselves (imo) to a pair that cost half the price!

In which case maybe my memory's defunct; how would you describe the sounds these sets produce?

Nov 29, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by meepror /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who said the PX100's are all that; what makes you think so? I tested these at a local store and didn't think the sound they produced was all that special... and they were connected to a hi-fi source to boot! I seem to remember that they didn't really stand out amongst the other Sennheisers on display and even failed themselves (imo) to a pair that cost half the price!

You were expecting too much from something that's supposed to be portable. The same as KSC-75, iGrado, iCans, AKG 26p/27i and every other sub-$100 portable headphone out there.

Nov 29, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Welcome to the world of audio. People have different tastes in sound signatures. Some love Grados and some don't. Ditto for Senn's, AKG, and so on. You either like something or you don't. For their price they are very hard to beat. I have a pair of ATH-ES7's that I like better than my PX100's or KSC75's, but they were much more expensive.

Nov 29, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #12 of 30
I own all three:

Sounds best: iGrado
Leakage: about the same
Most comfortable: PX-100s

Regarding sound: some people will prefer the senn sound to the grado sound...so it's subjective. Comparing the 75s to the iGrados...they're similar, but the iGrado is more lush and refined.

Comfortwise...the PX100 has a padded headband and are super light. The iGrado is comfortable but requires a little break in. I'm not a fan of clip ons, so I never liked my KSC-75s.

Nov 29, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #13 of 30
No way leakage is the same. The 75s should leak way less than either of the others since they are more open. My gf can tell that I'm listening to music but cant name the band or song with my 75s but can sing along with the PX100s and borrowed Grados.

Nov 29, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #14 of 30
portapro. Not as sparkly as the ksc75s (non titanium coated driver in the pp) but from what i understand it is the same as the ksc35s which are highly regarded as better than the 75 by some. I just got a pair yesterday and haven't burned them in completely but they are in some sense more refined and less awe inspiring upon very initial listens compared to the 75s but overall i'm enjoying the sonic balance better with these. You can however clip the 75s, or any of the 60ohm koss drivers for that matter, into the headband. I might put my 75s in the headband and use the pp drivers for a closed can transplant as these change very little when closed. Also, i prefer the headband design which i find to be brilliant and far cooler than the px series that awkardly collapses on itself. Oh and a lifetime of replacement for just $6 and these have been around unchanged for over 20 years.

Basically, the pp is a headbanded, cooler (imho because i like the retro styling), better styled, more durable (no clips coming off) and better balanced and refined ksc75. Also, i personally prefer the headband design, included case and warranty over the px series and i find these more comfortable as they sit on the head lighter than the pxs

Nov 30, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #15 of 30
Thanks for all the responses!

Yeah, I understand it's all to do with personal taste but the PX100s just felt way too subtle to be anything special; I guess my ears are nowhere near as sensitive as yours seeing as I've been bludgeoning them with horrifically bad headphones and speakers all my life.

I have added the portapros to my list of possibles.

Sadly I won't have the opportunity to sound test any of these before purchase unless anyone knows any shops in London that do that kind of thing.

Good point. Do any of you know any good hi-fi shops in London that allow testing? The only one I found was Micro Anvika in the basement of Selfridges on Oxford Street and even then they only had Sennheiser sets wired up for testing.

smily_headphones1.gif

I do like what the Grado sound has been described like but would be great to hear it first hand before committing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back